1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

1G Timing belt wander fix

Posted by SasaniFab, Aug 3, 2020

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing
  1. SasaniFab

SasaniFab Freelancer

Joined Dec 1, 2013
    danbury, Connecticut
    The engine I built was experiencing some timing belt wander and it also effected the tension on the belt. Normally when I build a motor I use a brand new tensioner arm. Unfortunately for us 6 bolt users it’s becoming harder and harder to find them. Luckily I was able to find some more for my stash. To fix the issue I ground down the dimple flat so that the timing tensioner could sit flush. You also need to make sure that the plastic bushing is in good condition.

Attached Files:

Street Build 4K  20

1992 Eagle Talon TSi
    645 whp · 498 lb/ft · 1G DSM
  2. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania
    Your flanges control where your timing belt sits on the cogs, I cant see that tensioner area being the problem, that divot is there for a reason.

Drag Race Build 4K  10  24

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  3. spyderdrifter

spyderdrifter Freelancer

Joined Jul 11, 2009
    Fountain, Colorado
    I've never seen that divot on any of the 6 bolt tensioners I've used. They're always flat on both sides.

2K  2

1996 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

2K  3

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

2K  5

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    automatic · 2G DSM
    rabenne likes this.
  4. 19Eclipse90

19Eclipse90 DSM Wiseman

Joined Sep 29, 2003
    OKC, Oklahoma
    And the reason is the tensioner wears the divot into the arm over time. It is not supposed to be there.:thumb:

Tensioner arm wear question
    bad tensioner arm?

5. Sniffbooger

Sniffbooger Proven Member

Joined Apr 12, 2020
    Torrance, California
    Wow maybe that's what is happening to my 6 bolt. My timing belt is wearing prematurely on the inside edge only. Tensioner wheel has a small lip/flange on it that seems to be eating into the belt. Could this be from the tensioner wheel moving back and forth?

Street Build 343  8

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  6. SasaniFab

SasaniFab Freelancer

Joined Dec 1, 2013
    danbury, Connecticut
    Yes indeed , I have two new 6 bolt tensioners..... they need to be FLAT....

Check for slop in your smiley face pulley and idler, make sure the tensioner arm is flat , no divot ,and the plastic bushing is in place and in good condition

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2020

Street Build 4K  20

1992 Eagle Talon TSi
  7. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania
    And this is my point, the arm is junk and needed replaced long ago, grinding it down will weaken it and the divot is not what caused the misalignment issue, the bearing surface on it is either junk or the flanges that align the belt are problematic instead.

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  8. SasaniFab

SasaniFab Freelancer

Joined Dec 1, 2013
    danbury, Connecticut
    Grinding down that area will not effect its structural integrity. I’m not Implying the dimple was the fix to the wandering but I make sure all of mine are flat because they ALL get dimpled and they aren’t supposed to be. The plastic bushing needs to be in good condition. The next obvious thing is the smiley face pulley and idler. Most cars I work on have timing hardware with less than 1000 miles anyway so these are rarely an issue.

Street Build 4K  20

1992 Eagle Talon TSi
  9. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania
    But what about when the tensioner puts another deep dimple in it like it had before? how many times can it do that before it snaps that tip off?

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  10. SasaniFab

SasaniFab Freelancer

Joined Dec 1, 2013
    danbury, Connecticut
    Oh there’s plenty of material, One grind and that’s all you’ll ever need seeing as though most of these arms have 20+ years of service. I put new arms on the motors I build, it’s just getting Harder finding parts for the 6 bolt. I’ve been getting the ones made by Hyundai.

Street Build 4K  20

1992 Eagle Talon TSi