The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Timing Belt Set

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I would highly recommend against ebay timing belt kits. EXTREME PSI : Your #1 Source for In Stock Performance Parts has a good kit that I used. A bit expensive, but worth the coin. They are genuine Mitsubishi products sold by a reputable vendor. Also, don't forget a water pump. I've been using Napa water pumps for years and have never had an issue with them.

But don't skimp on a t-belt, or you'll be spending a lot more when it breaks :thumb:

I would highly recommend against ebay timing belt kits. EXTREME PSI : Your #1 Source for In Stock Performance Parts has a good kit that I used. A bit expensive, but worth the coin. They are genuine Mitsubishi products sold by a reputable vendor. Also, don't forget a water pump. I've been using Napa water pumps for years and have never had an issue with them.

But don't skimp on a t-belt, or you'll be spending a lot more when it breaks :thumb:

Was looking at Extreme's kit and they offer a "Balance Shaft Eliminator Kit". Someone fill me in on the details of what the balance shaft's purpose is on the 4G63? God i feel like such a noob with all these questions ROFL

The BSEK is used to eliminate both balance shafts. You'll need to take off the front case to get access to both shafts. You'll rotate the bearings to block the oil passages off and install a stubby shaft onto the oil pump gear. This allows you to get rid of the balance shaft belt (1 less belt to worry about) and it removes 2 timing marks you would need to deal with otherwise.

I would go only OEM with the timing parts and also that kit didn't even have one of the most important parts, the hydraulic tensioner.

However, $90 or less depending if you can get a better deal isn't too bad for a non OEM water pump and valve cover gasket kit. I wouldn't use the other stuff, I might even be a little leery of the water pump too to be honest but that's because I'm not familiar with the "GMB" brand.

Some people will say it's overkill I say this will be a great investment for any interferance motor.

Gates racing kevlar timing belt is definately a great way to go.

It is not needed and still requires the standard 60k change since the other parts require that change. It's not a bad idea to get as there is less to no stretching that occurs on the belt.

However it is more saddening when you find out some oil got on your expensive belt and it has to be changed out.

Well as far as any part you should never run past it's normal maintenance, but having something that is almost bullet proof is still great to have....and gates racing belts aren't actually that expensive....I paid 80 shipped for mine and it came straight from gates.

Oh don't get me wrong, I wasn't saying it was a bad idea to get one. I'm considering going to a kevlar belt myself on my next change. It's just for most people, the OEM belt is fine and it has been pushed very hard for awesome numbers.

I only posted up the 60k mile change since most of those kevlar belts state something like 100k mile (higher than 60k) however you should change all the parts at the same time which is what I was getting at.

Oh don't get me wrong, I wasn't saying it was a bad idea to get one. I'm considering going to a kevlar belt myself on my next change. It's just for most people, the OEM belt is fine and it has been pushed very hard for awesome numbers.

I only posted up the 60k mile change since most of those kevlar belts state something like 100k mile (higher than 60k) however you should change all the parts at the same time which is what I was getting at.

I read you loud and clear on that first post! just makin sure you understood me :thumb:

On topic. If you don't mind getting in their and adjusting your tensioner every so often or have a gates kevlar belt extremepsi.com does in fact sell what is called a solid timing tensioner! It in my opinion is a very good idea since it doesnt collapse on you....and if you jump time for having a loose belt its your fault LOL.

I am concidering getting one for my next timing job since its only like 100 bucks

On topic. If you don't mind getting in their and adjusting your tensioner every so often or have a gates kevlar belt extremepsi.com does in fact sell what is called a solid timing tensioner! It in my opinion is a very good idea since it doesnt collapse on you....and if you jump time for having a loose belt its your fault LOL.

I am concidering getting one for my next timing job since its only like 100 bucks

As much as I supported the kevlar belt, I do not condone getting a solid timing tensioner on a street car. It's one thing putting it on a track vehicle where you'll be checking over everything often, however on a daily vehicle, not many people are going to want to be checking that tensioner on a regular basis to ensure it's at proper height for the belt tension.

Stick with the OEM hydraulic tensioner.

If it's a car your not going to beat on, the price is right. Never heard of the gasket/belt company but itm water pumps aren't terrible,leak from the o-ring some times. The jay racing tool set is great and if your going to have the car for awhile, get a gates belt and their water pumps are high quality(used one on last build w/ kevlar gates belt). and make sure the hydraulic tensioner has life left in it, they fail after 20 years and who knows how many miles

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back