The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G timing belt issue *pic*

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stupify

Probationary Member
Jun 28, 2004
dakota dunes, South_Dakota
Ok so i bought a non-running 92 FWD turbo under the impression that it had a recently rebuilt engine with 10k on it and all it needed was a transmission. Fast forward 100 problems later and I am replacing the timing belt because it looks about 10 years old and i dont trust the previous owner who says it is a new belt.

I have yet to get this car to run right due to massive vac leaks around the injectors (and maybe because of this problem)

Ok so today I go to remove the T-belt. I go to set #1 at TDC (align marks on cam pulleys with the woodruff keys pointing up, and the marks on the crank sprocket and oil pump sprocket aligned with the arrows). When I align the cam sprockets and the oil pump sprocket to the arrow the crank sprocket looks like its a tooth off.

Now with some of the problems and ghetto rigged stuff that i have seen on this car it leads me to believe that the previous owner had no idea what was going on and was probably high when he installed the t-belt after the engine rebuild. My question is: should I remove the belt and move the crank back a tooth so as everything is aligned? Or do the marks on the DSM just suck and could this just be normal? Should I worry about any valve or piston damage if the pulley is indeed off a tooth? (when i turn the engine over by hand i dont feel or hear any contact)

here are a couple pics to show what i am talking about.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Redo the timing and make sure all marks line up. I would replace both belts (balance belt and timing belt ) If feel uncomfortable any at all with it.

stupify said:
My question is: should I remove the belt and move the crank back a tooth so as everything is aligned? Or do the marks on the DSM just suck and could this just be normal? Should I worry about any valve or piston damage if the pulley is indeed off a tooth? (when i turn the engine over by hand i dont feel or hear any contact)
Yes you should fix it. No, being off by 1 tooth won't usually result in the valves meeting the pistons, but it will result in the car running poorly (rougher idle, etc).

You are off a tooth, you can verify by putting a screwdriver in the #1 spark plug hole and at is highest point you should be at TDC. I doubt it caused any damaged because I have seen other off like 3 or 4 and no valve damage occurred.

My guess is that your TB Tension is incorrect - that will cause this - If you were to watch what the TB does when tensioned you'd see that the TB literally "rolls" into Time as the Tensioner takes out the Slack at the proper point & pulls slack out of the rearmost side of the TB loop.

- My 2 cents on Tension Setting - latest revision.

- Set Sprockets & Balance Shafts per VFAQ - EXCEPT....

-May be necessary to BIAS = Mis-Time Exhaust Cam Sprocket ONE Tooth Clockwise - Belt Tensioning process will roll it back into time.

-Don't forget to apply Soft Loctite or RTV to Tensioner Fasteners & apply Final Torque.

-Run ALLTHREAD Tool in until Tensioner Arm Bottoms against Tensioner Body.

-Basically you preload the Eccentric Tension Pulley enough to achieve the correct Gap between Tension Arm & Tensioner Body - So...

-PRE-LOAD the Eccentric Tension Pulley & snug Pulley Bolt (I used soft Loctite on this Bolt too) - My favorite Tool to apply the Load on the Pulley is a Square Shanked Screwdriver that lays on one of the Water Pump Bolt Heads nicely for leverage.

-Back off ALLTHREAD TOOL a few Turns letting the Tensioner Tension the T/Belt.

- This is a good time to Spin Crank 6 Turns so Timing Belt can take it's initial SEAT in Sprocket Grooves.

- Stop at TDC & check Belt Timing Marks - This is where you may see that you have to regroup on initial Timing Belt installation & Bias the Belt as I said at First.

- Check Tension setting with Grenade Pin.

- If gap is too large you have UNDER TENSIONED BELT.

- Don't forget you have ALLTHREAD tool is there to help you hold what Tension you've got SO RUN IT BACK IN TILL IT TOUCHES.

- IF UNDERTENSIONED put MORE LOAD under Tensioner Pulley with long Screwdriver & SIMULTANEOUSLY loosen Pulley Bolt, putting more Tension on Belt & Snug up Pulley Bolt while applying Load.

- Now DON'T forget to back Allthread Toll off a few turns so Tensioner can apply Tension.

- Check Tension setting with Grenade Pin.

- If Pin checks Sat apply Final Torque to Tension Pulley Bolt & RECHECK TENSION SETTING .

- If Gap is too small you have OVER-TENSIONED Belt - Back off Tension Pulley Pre-Load a little.

- Install just enuff Belts & Pulleys to run Water Pump - attach Battery charger & run Motor with NO Timing Covers & no Alternator.

- Immediately when you get it running Check Oil Pressure & Reset Base Timing & Idle as it comes up to Full Running Temp - Start off with CAS at middle of adjustment - Check for Coolant & Oil Leaks - Check your new Water Pump & Water Pump O Ring, etc, etc...

- After a good hot idle or 2 re-check Tension with Grenade Pin & Button up Covers if all is SAT - Expect to see one good stretch as Belt heats up & "sets" in the Pulleys & hence need one good re-setting after initial idle.

Love, Buck

i forgot to say that the the previous owner removed the balance shafts during the engine rebuild.

Thanks to everyone, Ill reset it back where it should be. :cool:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back