The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

timing belt issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

green97gstspyder

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 14, 2012
newark, Delaware
I just installed a new timing belt and pulleys and i am having trouble with the inner edge of the belt fraying a little on the inner lip of the tensioner pulley. I am certain this is the cause since it isn't touching anywhere else. will this stop or only get worse? It is a gates belt with stock pulleys on a 6 bolt. I also tried sliding the belt to the outter edge of the cam pulleys but it went right back to the inside.

Attachments

• belt.jpg
    belt.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 63
yes all bolts were torqued but I will double check on monday to rule this out. I have done a few timing belts on these motors and this is a first for me.

I thought i ordered a 1g one. Its has the green ring on it if you look at it from the front. I know the old one was blue but i remember i had to get two because the one i bought wasnt spaced right and was rubbing against where it mounts so i had to get another from advanced.

Also whats different between the two??

i cant recall exactly but the 1g tensioner pulley is wider that the 2g tensioner.. or vice versa... they are not interchangable though..

Check the crank trigger plate like brian said.. I dont think a pulley would do this kind of damage.

They don't sit in the same relative position and the eccentric is different. 1g and 2g procedures are also different. Dots go up on 1g, down on 2g. Don't remember where the year split is that this changed.

From what i remember i rotated the dots clockwise. I have the old pulley was in good condition may just put it on. I believe the belt sits a good ways away from the trigger plate but ill check that too

there is one other thing that I remember when I put the timing belt on was when I went to set the pre tension on the tensioner pulley if I put too much it would slip and spin all the way around. I dont remember this happening before but its been a while could this be an indication of the wrong pulley?

oil pan bolts were the first thing i checked.

as far as having the wrong pulley since it would slip all the way around. what is the difference between the two setups just that one pulley? or are the belts different as well or are both pulleys different. I just want to make sure of what Im going to have to change out. I only want to do this once more. I have the old tensioner pulley that was in good condition as well as the other pulley I just wanted all new stuff on there so if I have to Ill just throw those on.

I pointed that out above. The bolt hole is in a different place so the eccentric motion is different. I don't recall which one has more. They also do not sit in the same relative position, One pulley has a different backspacing from the other. It's a small difference but it's there. The other pulley is the same. The bolts are the same. If you compare a 1g and 2g tensioner pulley it will be plainly obvious what the differences are aside from color. Color doesn't mean squat anyway, it's merely a different manufacturer.

Hmm....unless it's a pretty good illusion I think I'm wrong. I have 1g and 2g tensioner here. The bearings are different but when held up they appear to have the same eccentric. They are different part numbers, not just different manufacturers.

How does the inner lip look? Is it the same? Also should it be a 1g tensioner even though its a 2g bracket?

Same diameter? Im sure the first one i had was wrong since i couldnt get the proper clearance on the pulley. It was rubbing against where it mounts

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back