The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

idle issue after water pump and timing belt install

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Project_Mayhem@

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 4, 2011
Las Vegas, Nevada
ok so i cant take it with my car anymore... In the past 2 weeks ive put in a brand new water pump, t stat, radiator cap, and flushed the coolant system. now i just picked up the car from the shop today it runs like shit its idle sits at 600 rpm down from 850 and feels like its going to die, its vacuum is down from 21 to 16 no vac hoses disconnected but when i drive it, it still pulls hard and feels great but still i dont get why i would be running like this after wards i asked him if he re timed it and he said yes now i am assuming he re timed the bottom end and not the head but there isnt any odd noise or ticking sounds any ideas? :confused:

Ok went you first go and start it does it click and them starts if that is out of time i would have her check the time because your going to bent vales if you skip more teth and i would take to another shop that knows about dsm because my got time wrong it did a mess my engine up broken rocker arm piston crush a spark plug have it check

like i said no weird noise comming out of it starts like a champ pulls good i can feel the power band there just idles horrible

Humm was it doing before you took to the shop i know is pulling strong my gst did that but it was out time i start it to know it because it would click but look this happen to my gsx like you say it would pull strong like your car and start like your lt idle horrible too and it was out time have check bro soon

The only thing it really could be is being timed a lil wrong, unless they messed with something else.

Pull all the covers off and rotate everything by hand/breaker bar! Until everything on top is lined up at the cams then check all the other marks below! This was you will find out if its all timed properly this is the only way unless you take it to a garage! A better garage then the last one haha

I would just start with checking camshaft timing. Pull the upper cover and rotate the crank until the notches on each cam sprocket are facing each other. If the are directly pointed at each other, then I would remove the lower cover. It could be either the oil pump or the B/S out of timing if you are just feeling a rough idle.

It would be a easier to read some people's posts if they used proper punctuation. Reading an entire paragraph that is just one huge run-on sentence can be a headache. Do you have any type of logger to where you can read ignition timing? Before you do anything you need to check that, and mechanical timing between cams/camshaft. Do you have the means to very alignment of timing marks?

+100 on the BISS. Also, check the tps, and throttle cable.

thanks guys looks like a I've got a laundry list of things to look at. I dont have a logger yet, i had the car re timed to day lined up all marks and had it checked with a timing light. It still runs crappy but the idle has improved, going to put new plugs and wires in, and check the above mentioned things. Thanks for all the help

I have not seen a failed throttle cable on one of these cars yet. If you did not adjust your BISS and your car ran fine before and you haven't adjusted your biss in between then and now, then it did not magically adjust itself. Changing a water pump and timing belt would not do anything that'd mess with your idle unless you did not get your mechanical timing set properly. It is easy to get this off by 1 tooth and not realize it unless you have done timing belt jobs a lot on these cars.

No, don't mess with your BISS unless you have changed the BISS setting to begin with. If you never adjusted the BISS between now and when it ran last, then look elsewhere. Don't just start changing things hoping that it resolves the issue. You need to properly find the problem then fix the problem. Adjusting the BISS right now at this point is a "shooting in the dark" solution.

Biss never adjusted pulled my plugs earlier, and they were white but no blistering but you can tell they are used up. Going to change plugs wires, and bring it to a tuning shop that specializes in in DSM's and Evos/STI's. they will set it straight.

Well I pulled the plugs and wires and changed them. In the process I decided to check the spark, well I electrocuted myself LOL. Car has plenty of spark. I discovered after I shut it off the timing on my cams are a tooth and a half off from each other. Bingo issue solved going to re time my car, and tackle the over heating issue.

i have the same exact problem after my water pump install except mine is throwing a check engine light for a random misfire and ive been driving like that for a couple months and its now hesitating at high boost and runnign about 4psi less than it should be...i changed plugs, wires, checked timing multiple times, changed coils, ignition transistor, and crank sensor and still have the problem...if you figure out wats wrong please keep me informed

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back