The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

1G throttle body "BISS" Gone?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ak420Stoner

Probationary Member
Dec 8, 2019
Chugiak, Alaska
So I have an issue and I was hoping you guys might be able to help me / give me some advise about what to do. went out and started my car and it wouldn't stay running on its own and didn't sound to healthy :/ so I started looking around and found out that the biss screw isn't even there... so what should I do?

Also this is my 1st post so sorry if I didn't do it right, Thanks in advance.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

That is a general ball park area. I start at 2 turns but that will work. It's sure better than a open hole/huge vacuum leak! Did you order the oring also? It needs one on it. Just FYI

That's what I do to start, all the way in and then back off 1.5 to 2 turns. Then once the car is at operating temps you follow the procedure for setting the Basic Idle Speed.

I can see in that picture that you still have both the throttle body ground strap and the intake manifold ground cable. That's good, those are required so that the Idle Position Switch can tell the ECU the throttle is closed.

I'm well aware of the shipping times to Alaska, I see your between Anchorage and Wasilla, my wife sells to the school districts there and every morning I get to hear about the shipping delays. She also sells farther north and we joke about deliveries by dog sled.

You'll have to set the BISS the old fashioned way to do it correctly, otherwise you can burn out isc drivers in the ecu. You ground out the timing plug on the firewall with a little wire with alligator clips then adjust the screw to get your 750 (?) stock idle. You'll find this in a search. I'm assuming the car is stock based on the pic you posted.

You'll have to set the BISS the old fashioned way to do it correctly, otherwise you can burn out isc drivers in the ecu. You ground out the timing plug on the firewall with a little wire with alligator clips then adjust the screw to get your 750 (?) stock idle. You'll find this in a search. I'm assuming the car is stock based on the pic you posted.
As far as I know... a friend owed me money and kinda just dropped it off LOL

So how bad would it be if I just put a bolt that kinda fits in it? pretty bad huh? I don't get paid till Friday is why I ask

That is a general ball park area. I start at 2 turns but that will work. It's sure better than a open hole/huge vacuum leak! Did you order the oring also? It needs one on it. Just FYI
haven't got it yet but I was going to it didn't seem to much

Last edited by a moderator:
You will need a 90* pick to get all of the RTV out of the threads for the BISS screw. IDK how many TB's I've seen with RTV there, but too many. Don't ruin the threads for the new screw with that bolt, you will have problems then.

You will need a 90* pick to get all of the RTV out of the threads for the BISS screw. IDK how many TB's I've seen with RTV there, but too many. Don't ruin the threads for the new screw with that bolt, you will have problems then.
I only put the rtv on the outside and I only put the bolt in just a little ways hoping I wouldn't hurt anything :/ just hoping to make it till Friday.. I guess I could always borrow a my buddys truck but I just hate using other peoples stuff you know

thanks for all the help guys, I know this car needs a lot of work done to it not to sure what yet tho or where im going to start all I've got atm is this biss screw then the timeing belt the full assembly and was thinking I should also do the balancing removal thing but I hope they can wait a few more months. I really don't wanna work on it in the cold, lucky I don't have to drive to far or that often

so I take it o'reilly auto parts or napa don't sell this part right? I couldn't find it on the sites

Last edited by a moderator:
i recall my old talon had a make shift biss from the PO they put some duct tape on a pen cap and twisted it in, and it somehow managed to work long enough for me to source a better metal 90 biss from a parts car LOL, I might have a spare metal one in my spare bolts bucket if you end up needing a metal one.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back