1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Straight cut synchronized gear box!

Posted by keltalon, Jun 22, 2018

Please Support Feal Suspension
Please Support Morrison Fabrication
  1. Lou98GSX

Lou98GSX Proven Member

Joined Mar 13, 2004
    Carmel, New York
    Keltalon I have been waiting to see you back in action . can't wait to here more.

keltalon likes this.
  2. GST with PSI

GST with PSI DSM Wiseman

Joined Jul 27, 2005
    San Diego, California
    @keltalon what ever happened to the indistructable WPC treated and cryo'd Evo 1 GSR box you had?

Street Build 25K  18  143

1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
    12.030 @ 119.39 · Galant VR-4

824  23

1982 Yamaha Virago
    rwd · manual · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 5K  74

1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
    awd · manual · Galant VR-4
    Vegas smith and Canadian_CD9A like this.
  3. bastarddsm

bastarddsm Proven Member

Joined Aug 26, 2003
    Mendota, Illinois
    #shotsfired

Showcar Build 6K  1

1991 Eagle Talon N/T
    9.805 @ 144.00 · 1G DSM
    Vegas smith and Airsign89 like this.
  4. Vegas smith

Vegas smith Proven Member

Joined Dec 2, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Any of you losers dyno over 800hp? Didn't think so....;)

Street Build 4K  10

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
    keltalon and ist dwa like this.
  5. DSMReviver

DSMReviver Proven Member

Joined Mar 4, 2008
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    My thoughts on this...

When a stock transmission gear fail the teeth is shredded. The same thing is happening on the Quafie housing. I would bet that it is due to the inferior design of the helical teeth and not the housing itself. If this is the housing or base material issue, we would of seen fracture/separation on the entire unit. The gears will break apart and the quaife housing would of split into pieces. The tooth would of uproot completely or distorted from the housing where the suspected thin areas are. But we don't see that. The teeth are shreedded and the housing left intact.

Most aftermarket manufacturers increase the width of the helical gears to gain strength or gone to straight cut design completely.

This is why I think switching to the straight cut gear design and on stronger case material will solve or improve the design to handle more power and abuse.

DSMReviver

1K  0

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 2G DSM

Showcar Build 1K  0

1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
  6. GST with PSI

GST with PSI DSM Wiseman

Joined Jul 27, 2005
    San Diego, California
    Not talking sh**, I just legitimately want to know if that box held up, and if not, what broke.

Street Build 25K  18  143

1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
    12.030 @ 119.39 · Galant VR-4

824  23

1982 Yamaha Virago
    rwd · manual · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 5K  74

1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
    awd · manual · Galant VR-4
  7. Canadian_CD9A

Canadian_CD9A Proven Member

Joined Feb 10, 2012
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    The hub and slider is a very real concern, supplies are long gone for Evo stuff, and I've seen people fight over used Evo III units. I lucked out and found a brand new Evo/HD hub & slider in France, I'm hoping it never fails, or I may be SOL.
    I don't think I've seen the hub and slider fail on Matthias' gears, or the previous PAR iteration. But since PAR is willing to re-engineer the kit, I doubt they would let an obsolete hub & slider sideline their product. They would come up with a solution.

Kel, I'm curious what happened to your last transmission, too. I had really high hopes for that thing. Is it still alive?

8. bastarddsm

bastarddsm Proven Member

Joined Aug 26, 2003
    Mendota, Illinois
    Is the hub and slider that fragile? I've never broken one or even seen one broken. Just hear horror storries. I mean I guess if your powershifting into 3rd or something. But set a decent NLTS RPM and don't use a clutch that holds 1000ft*lbs, and it's probably not an issue.

Showcar Build 6K  1

1991 Eagle Talon N/T
    9.805 @ 144.00 · 1G DSM
  9. bastarddsm

bastarddsm Proven Member

Joined Aug 26, 2003
    Mendota, Illinois
    Also for the record, day 4 of waiting for a response to my price inquiry to TRE. It's really like 6 months since the first time I asked him, but I re asked friday.

Showcar Build 6K  1

1991 Eagle Talon N/T
    9.805 @ 144.00 · 1G DSM
  10. ist dwa

ist dwa Proven Member

Joined Nov 5, 2009
    Centerville, Ohio

Uhh can I get a link to a dog box lasting 80K miles, thanks!

11. twicks69

twicks69 Supporting Vendor

Joined Mar 12, 2004
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    You can get that if you know how to drive it, and don't miss 2nd gear ever.

Expect regular service items to be 2nd gear and 1/2 slider on 99% of those that are raced or driven hard.

Drag Race Build 8K  12  76

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    9.499 @ 155.00 · 2G DSM
  12. bastarddsm

bastarddsm Proven Member

Joined Aug 26, 2003
    Mendota, Illinois
    My liberty stuff seemed like it would have lasted 10k or more driving it in my small town stop and go/ having fun/ highway miles. Lot different if you just get on the highway and go, but they'd probably last a very very long time like that.

Showcar Build 6K  1

1991 Eagle Talon N/T
    9.805 @ 144.00 · 1G DSM
  13. ist dwa

ist dwa Proven Member

Joined Nov 5, 2009
    Centerville, Ohio
    Can you explain that further, you say it will last 80K but you need to service it regularly, so which is it?

If it needs taken apart constantly and have the gears resurfaced regularly than the tranny doesn't last 80k miles. How long does the trans last before it has to be removed for XYZ.....that is the answer I am looking for.

And from my understanding shifting a dox bog wether at WOT or just normal shifting creates the same wear.

14. twicks69

Joined Mar 12, 2004
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    It will last as long as you take care of it. It is all up to the end user, along with your ability to actually drive, your power levels and your usage of the clutch.

9.499 @ 155.00 · 2G DSM
    DSMReviver and iugrad92turbo like this.
  15. iugrad92turbo

iugrad92turbo Supporting Member

Joined May 22, 2007
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Just left tre and spoke to jon some interesting stuff regarding on this gear set up.

7K  5

1992 Eagle Talon TSi
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
    keltalon likes this.
  16. Canadian_CD9A

Canadian_CD9A Proven Member

Joined Feb 10, 2012
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Sharing is caring...

95eclipser likes this.
  17. iugrad92turbo

iugrad92turbo Supporting Member

Joined May 22, 2007
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    I was visiting him we go back, just small talk about the company and the work doing with par, if I had more to share I would but I went to talk about parts for my trans and a friend. Nothing informative about the set up. I'm just following the thread, tre is about 10 minutes from me so it was nice to just see him hes quite busy.

7K  5

1992 Eagle Talon TSi
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
    keltalon likes this.
  18. ist dwa

ist dwa Proven Member

Joined Nov 5, 2009
    Centerville, Ohio
    OK I'll give you two scenarios: 16g build mostly street driven with a few launches and the driver knows how to shift.

42r build with mostly street miles with a few launches and the driver knows how to shift.

SO how many miles does this thing last before needing serviced?

19. twicks69

Joined Mar 12, 2004
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    It will last as long as your bearings last then. Hub and sliders and bearings are wearable components over time. I know several people that were making very decent power, like 800+AWHP and had 8 years on their PPG dogboxes before needing to service them, with countless track passes.

Having a driver that knows how to shift as well as having a ignition cut, or rev retard, or using the clutch to take the load off of the transmission will make it last a very long time.

If you have a 16g car, you should be on a stock transmission if it's a street driven car. There is no need for an aftermarket gear set on a 16g unless you are trying to set records, or you are racing the car. A stock refreshed transmission can handle 400 WHP all day long with the big failure modes going to be a stock center diff (upper pinion gear friction welding the pinion washer to the cover, or the cross shaft breaking on a stock 2 spider diff), or the 3/4 hub and slider from abuse / overheating. Anything past that is from normal wear and tear, or excessive abuse (like broken shift forks or shift rail ends).

If you have a car making 600+AWHP and you are actually racing it and treating it not like a regular car, then you should be on a straight cut dogbox. Durability, and service life vs. the cost of the components is in your favor then. When you are breaking more than 1 transmission a season (I was breaking 4 or 5 built transmissions per season of street / track / dyno time for several years which typically cost around $3000-4000 per failure so it adds up), you are at the point of looking at budgeting for a straight cut dogbox simply for service life.

With the cost of OEM Mitsubishi parts being significantly higher than they were even 8 years ago; around a 150-200% increase in that period and they typically go up 5-10% every couple months; as well as a large portion of the transmission components being no longer available / discontinued worldwide, we have to bite the bullet and look at Liberty, PPG or PAR gearsets as a solution for component replacement / upgrading.

When you are looking at the cost of a basic comprehensive OEM rebuild starting out around $2000 or so for stock replacement parts, and working up to around $3500, BEFORE options like an aftermarket front diff or output shaft or bearing plate or surface treatments, etc. With options you can easily get into the $6000+ range on a gearbox with a stock gearset. With face plating as an option on the stock gearset to get it to shift faster, it might be cheap to do it to a free used gearset and about $1000 later you have some modified stock used parts done up to shift faster. When you are doing it to a brand new gearset as well as surface treatments, and diff upgrades, etc. It starts around $4000 and goes up from there.

With a PPG or PAR gearset, you are starting around the $4500-6000 range for a 9310 hardened steel straight cut gearset either with dog engagement or synchronized gears for a 1/2/3/4 gearset. They are considerably more durable for the gear teeth and shafts. The engagement dogs on the gears CAN get worn over time from regular usage, or they can get hurt from a hard high-rpm mis-shift. If you are at the track and completely miss 2nd gear with a hard mis-shift you will easily hurt the gear in a couple screw-ups. Nature of the beast. At the same time, you can race the car 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 years of good times before needing a refresh. Just like a clutch, it will last as long as the end user takes care of it. As for associated costs, you still have to modify the transmission case to accept the new gearset, and that also refers to modification to shift forks, shift rails, 5th gear cover, oil guides, input snout (TOB sleeve), shift selector modifcation, etc. And if you are starting out with a 1989-1991.5 transmission there is even more conversion you need to do because of the early style shift lever / selector components being very weak. You can easily have another $1000-2000 in parts for assembly between bearings, differential modification (if you choose to do a 4-spider center diff you will need to machine components as well as get a proper cross-shaft, additional pinion gearset, shims, torrington bearing and thrust washers, machine the diff cover, machine the diff housing, etc.). Then, you have upgrade options like the 300m output shaft (which really is a must with a spooled center diff race car; you will kill output shafts over time), a billet aluminum bearing plate (the stock one likes to deflect and say bye bye to your gearset), an upgraded front differential (spool front, phantom grip / rip grip mod, Quaife LSD or KAAZ LSD or Ralliart LSD differentials) Then you have labor cost. Are you doing it yourself or are you having a professional do it? That isn't free. So you are realistically looking at ~$6000 for bare bones, ~$7500 for a proper build, and around $10,000 fully optioned out.

As for myself, well, I broke other shops built transmissions for several years before saying screw it, and building them myself to learn. I broke around 23 or 24 in less than 7 years with power levels anywhere from 400AWHP-800AWHP, and I have gone through like 5 in the last 10 years with power levels anywhere from 700AWHP-1000AWHP. I also have taken it a bit easier on the car and I race less.

I have 3 or 4 years on my face plated dogbox in my car, and it is no slouch for power and sees almost all street time when I drive it. I have had zero issues with mine, and I typically am driving around the car at the 740-750 AWHP range on the street on waste gate spring. My transmission is an Evo 1 1st/2nd , DSM ratio 3rd/4th, Evo 3 5th gearset, 4-spider center differential, Adelia Magic Clutch Type Coupler (replaces viscous coupler), KAAZ Super-Q clutch type LSD front differential, Boostin 300m output shaft, and the entire gearset is deburred / detailed, shot peened and REM treated with steel Evo 3 shift forks and forged steel Evo 3 shift rails.

Though it has performed well at this power level for the duration it has seen of street time, I am still changing over to a PPG dogbox 1/2/3/4 gearset with Evo 3 5th gearset, spool center diff, Boostin 300m output shaft, Kaaz Super-Q LSD front diff, and Boostin billet bearing plate. This will be the upcoming race trans I use for the remaining life of the car.

I could have bought easily 8 or 9 PPG dogboxes if I had started out going directly to one back in 2003-2004 or so when I started breaking gearboxes. Heck, PPG gearsets were dirt cheap way back when. Their prices have gone up a bit in the last couple years, but so has everything else gone up in price; just part of life.

Either way, a dogbox isn't for everyone, but it sure darn well beats breaking 3 race transmissions in a season.

9.499 @ 155.00 · 2G DSM
  20. DSMReviver

DSMReviver Proven Member

Joined Mar 4, 2008
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    Here is PPG phone number. Contact them your self and question their product. Ask them why they make these claims and report back to us.

P: +61 8 8285 2933

DSMReviver

1K  0

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 2G DSM

Showcar Build 1K  0

1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
    keltalon likes this.
  21. Vegas smith

Vegas smith Proven Member

Joined Dec 2, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Damn, great post Tim.

Street Build 4K  10

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
    95eclipser likes this.
  22. keltalon

keltalon Supporting VIP

Joined Jun 29, 2003
    Luthersville Ga, Atlanta, Georgia
    Transmission arrive and ready to go in. T.R.E special.

Attached Files:

Street Build 4K  0

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 2G DSM

8K  14  25

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    11.1 @ 137.3 · 2G DSM
    DSMReviver and iugrad92turbo like this.
  23. keltalon

keltalon Supporting VIP

Joined Jun 29, 2003
    I still have it.

Street Build 4K  0

manual · 2G DSM

8K  14  25

11.1 @ 137.3 · 2G DSM
    iugrad92turbo likes this.
  24. keltalon

keltalon Supporting VIP

Joined Jun 29, 2003
    Thanks Lou. I am working on 3 projects at one time. The Twin turbo G35 has been eating my pockets almost finished with the engine. I haven't given much attention to eclipse since last sept when someone tried to steal the car a the ga 1/2 mile event but now I have turned my attention back to the car. Experimenting with these custom gears and better ratios.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018

Street Build 4K  0

manual · 2G DSM

8K  14  25

11.1 @ 137.3 · 2G DSM
  25. keltalon

keltalon Supporting VIP

Joined Jun 29, 2003
    [/QUOTE]
    @keltalon which 3/4 hub/slider are you running? I see that the EvoIII hub/slider is obsolete…it’s my understanding that it is the one to have as it is forged. Does TRE have any left overs? The OEM DSM ones are cast and it’s my understanding that machining them down to accept dbbl synchros diminishes strength further. This would imply the still available unmodified/single synchro DSM small hub slider is superior in strength barring getting a hold of some new EvoIII ones or good used ones. I suppose this is just another common weak link but I raise this because it would suck to explode the 3/4 H&S and subsequently trash the PAR gearset and I am curious as to what TRE recommended and set you up with and what torque limit? I hope that the revised PAR gears are indeed stronger than the previous version too and you get some considerable miles/passes out of this setup. Subscribed.[/QUOTE]

I know Jon had a few of these left but to be honest I can't say but I'll find out.

Street Build 4K  0

manual · 2G DSM

8K  14  25

11.1 @ 137.3 · 2G DSM