The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

GVR4 1st gear - Is it straight cut?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HokieDSM

20+ Year Contributor
Oct 24, 2002
Blacksburg, Virginia
Riddle me this:

I have the GVR4 1st gear - and its loud, probably just as loud as reverse. It was in the car when I bought it. A friend of mine asked me if it was straight cut - is it? I can't seem to find an answer anywhere. It sure sounds like it is... (not that I mind :cool:)

My GVR4 1st sounds just as quiet as my Talons 1st. Somethings wrong, good luck. Try some synthetic MTF.

Nothings wrong with it. It's worked fine for the entire time I've had the car(18 months), through pulling the tranny twice, changed the fluid 3 times (BG Syncroshift everytime), no grinding, it always goes into gear perfectly, or any other problems with it.

Maybe its not a GVR4 1st then? hrm.... that's what I was told when I bought the car.. :confused:

My VR4 tranny is original (as I am original owner) and the first gear is very quiet and always has been.

Either you have a different first gear - or there is something wrong with it.

I agree with the diagnosis... I'm not happy when I find out something on my car isn't as it's supposed to be. :mad: Like I said though, there doesnt seem to be anything functionally wrong here.

Straight cut gears don't have synchros, do they? It seems like my first does, since its very easy to shift into - I can usually do it at (low) speed without much hassle, that comes in handy at autocrosses.

I now have a mystery on my hands... anyone care to help shed some light on this curiosity?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back