The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Starter relay wiring

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98gstJames

Proven Member
May 25, 2022
WInchester, Virginia
I’m trying to get my car to start atm and I recently got the car and the previous owner that worked on the car completely messed up the harness so I’m currently going through trying to fix everything I see and I’m pretty sure the wiring from my starter relay is the problem for my no start and I’ll explain why, maybe there are other things I don’t know that anyone could help with. My battery is for sure good, I got my starter tested and it’s good, my battery contracts are good and so are my grounds and connects to the starter itself. When I turn the key on with the female connect on the top of the starter unplugged the solenoid clicks, but when I have the connector connected the solenoid doesn't click at all, so that makes me believe it’s this wire job that is causing the issue from the relay. I’ll add pictures, any help would be great I’ve been stumped for two weeks now.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Also should say it’s a manual 1998 eclipse GST and this is my first dsm

Most likely that click is the starter relay in the cabin. Maybe there is a short in the solenoid signal wire? I believe it supplies voltage to the female spade when you turn the key. Are you pressing in the clutch when you turn the key?

Most likely that click is the starter relay in the cabin. Maybe there is a short in the solenoid signal wire? I believe it supplies voltage to the female spade when you turn the key. Are you pressing in the clutch when you turn the key?
No I’m not pressing in the clutch but I have tried to see if that would help and I still get the same thing when I press in the clutch. I was thinking the short was coming from the signal wire from the relay as well because the previous owner had the signal wire to the male connector on the starter wrapped around one of the black and red wires in the starter relay(pictured in my post)

It sounds like previous owner was trying to bypass the relay effectively hotwiring the starter? There might be some type of security system that it causing the car to not start hence previous owner doing wacky things with wiring.

No I’m not pressing in the clutch but I have tried to see if that would help and I still get the same thing when I press in the clutch. I was thinking the short was coming from the signal wire from the relay as well because the previous wire had the signal wire to the male connector on the starter wrapped around one of the black and red wires in the starter relay(pictured in my post)
It sounds like previous owner was trying to bypass the relay effectively hotwiring the starter? There might be some type of security system that it causing the car to not start hence previous owner doing wacky things with wiring.
I just don’t understand why he was trying to do that, then again I don’t understand almost everything he did, but the car was starting and turning over before but now I’m running into problems but I know he didn’t drive the car while doing all these mods and just started it when it was sold. When I got the car I was able to pull it into my garage and do some engine work and when I backed it out the power wire on the battery terminal melted complete along with the ground for the engine. So since then I’ve been trying to get it to turn over, it was turning over when I fixed the battery wiring but it wouldn’t fire, but after trying to start the car with no luck my starter gave, but the starter motor was trying to turn when I had it hooked up, I got a new starter on and now it won’t do anything like I was saying, but that’s what leads me to believe it was this wire job on the relay itself that caused the issue, you can see the red wire that was wrapped around the relay wiring in the photo, it’s on the carpet but the copper on it was definitely a little bit worn and the wire he used wasn’t even the right wire to begin with for the starter wiring. If that black and red wire he tapped into with the Hotwire he had was the original signal wire then I was thinking of cutting it at the end and sticking a butt connector and running a new wire and connector to the starter.

Yeah maybe for now run a super long water from the power on that connector all the way to the spade terminal on the starter nd see if that jump starts it. Likely a burnt up wire. there's also a starter fuse on the battery that may have burnt up.

Yeah maybe for now run a super long water from the power on that connector all the way to the spade terminal on the starter nd see if that jump starts it. Likely a burnt up wire. there's also a starter fuse on the battery that may have burnt up.
Would you know which would be the power wire on the connector itself? He had it wrapped around a black and red wire and also there isn’t a fuse on the battery terminal, he moved the battery to the trunk and hooked a power wire to the wires coming from the fuse box and a wire connected running to the starter, so not too sure what to do about that.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back