The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Starter relay wiring help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

With turbo (or 2.4L) and no factory theft alarm, they both connect together to the ignition switch Start position. Same with turbo (or 2.4L) with factory theft alarm if it's a MT. If turbo (or 2.4L) with factory theft alarm and an AT, they connect together to the theft alarm starter relay.

With turbo (or 2.4L) and no factory theft alarm, they both connect together to the ignition switch Start position. Same with turbo (or 2.4L) with factory theft alarm if it's a MT. If turbo (or 2.4L) with factory theft alarm and an AT, they connect together to the theft alarm starter relay.
Alright, mines a turbo 2.0L and I’m pretty sure it doesn’t have the alarm system, but the previous owner had a power wire wrapped around one of the red and black wires and ran it to the male connector on top of the starter. Why?

On the AT the starter relay is a normally open relay which uses pin 5 to go to the starter and must activate to engage the starter. On the MT it's a normally closed relay which uses pin 4 to go to the starter and only activates to disable the starter (activates to disable starter when clutch pedal is in up position). So I'd guess either it was a AT at one time, or he had relay problems, or most likely the original wire from starter relay to starter was open (broken somewhere) so he just put a new wire there. Since on a MT the starter relay doesn't normally activate, you don't even need the relay so he just bypassed it, especially if he deliberately WANTS to engage starter with clutch engaged (pedal up) to help prevent crank walk.

On the AT the starter relay is a normally open relay which uses pin 5 to go to the starter and must activate to engage the starter. On the MT it's a normally closed relay which uses pin 4 to go to the starter and only activates to disable the starter (activates to disable starter when clutch pedal is in up position). So I'd guess either it was a AT at one time, or he had relay problems, or most likely the original wire from starter relay to starter was open (broken somewhere) so he just put a new wire there. Since on a MT the starter relay doesn't normally activate, you don't even need the relay so he just bypassed it, especially if he deliberately WANTS to engage starter with clutch engaged (pedal up) to help prevent crank walk.
Alright that makes sense, I don’t think it was a AT at one time I think he was having starting issues because he replaced the starter when it was still good and so that’s why I thought it was the relay, so should I keep the relay out and just rewire the wire he wired up? Or what would be my best bet?

Yes if that is the problem, I'd recommend just rewiring it the same way and leave the relay out. However note that the connector on the starter not fitting tightly, or corroded, or dirty is often a problem.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back