The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

420A Speedometer Gear Inside Transmission

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skyline-Tweak

Proven Member
Nov 11, 2012
Kunkletown, Pennsylvania
So I know what's up with the speedometer and why it's not working. I know what the inside of the trans looks like too. The speedo gear slipped out of its notchs, to avoid this again, is there any substance I can use to hold it in place so it doesn't slip off again after I fix it? I know trans fluid eats through almost anything, so I guess Super Glue is out the question. Any ideas are appreciated.

The gear that runs the speed sensor. Yellow plastic ring inside the transmission. I have a pic of it but I'll post it after work.

The plastic gear is part of the speed sensor. If you mean its no longer contacting the drive gear inside the transmission then I would say you have possible transmission issues. Still dont know whst you mean by slipped out of its notches.

The yellow ring in this picture is what slipped off. I have the exact same problem. This picture is one I took at a junkyard. I took it apart there to know what I was in for without destroying mine. If you look on the inner-side of the yellow ring there's 2 grooves where it fits into place on the shaft its sitting on. To keep the yellow ring in its grooves on that shaft so my speedometer says working, I'm wondering if there's any adhesive substance I could use to hold it in the grooves. But I know ATF eats through asphalt (found that out the hard way..) so I can only imagine the gear fluid eating through anything like super glue. Any ideas?
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Hmm....420a. Cant say im familiar with those. Do you have the service manual? How is that thing supposed to be attached?

I got the Haynes service manual. Nothing about the trans in there though. And it gust sits in the grooves on the shaft. There's 2 bumps on the yellow ring that slip it into place. Just trying to find something with the same viscosity as superglue that will bond metal to plastic and won't be eaten away by the gear fluid to hold the ring permanently in its grooves.

Not to bring back a dead thread but I feel like I should post my solution to this issue. I have since had my speedometer working properly and no issues with the transmission. Went to AutoZone and bought the smallest self-tapping screws we could find. Came in a pack of about 6 or 8. We took a Dremel and drilled 2 holes about 2-3mm deep and placed the ring back in place. Then we put the two screws in and used them to tap out threads since out tap and die kit didn't have a size small enough. Took the screws back out and ground them down ever so slightly for clearance issues (basically removing the self-tapping part). Put them back in and made sure the differential still spun freely (which it did). Used the lips of the screw to hold the ring down so it wouldn't slip off again. Then put it all back together.

Not to bring back a dead thread but I feel like I should post my solution to this issue. I have since had my speedometer working properly and no issues with the transmission. Went to AutoZone and bought the smallest self-tapping screws we could find. Came in a pack of about 6 or 8. We took a Dremel and drilled 2 holes about 2-3mm deep and placed the ring back in place. Then we put the two screws in and used them to tap out threads since out tap and die kit didn't have a size small enough. Took the screws back out and ground them down ever so slightly for clearance issues (basically removing the self-tapping part). Put them back in and made sure the differential still spun freely (which it did). Used the lips of the screw to hold the ring down so it wouldn't slip off again. Then put it all back together.
Would this pretty much be the same thing as the evo 8 trans? Like does this happen as well on them?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back