The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Solved - Large amount of smoke out of exhaust

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frosh29

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 29, 2004
Wallington, New_Jersey
Hi All,

I just changed the oil in the Talon (1995 TSI AWD). After the oil change, there is a ton of smoke coming out of the exhaust. Car was fine before the oil change.

I have the oil / coolant sandwich, but I only removed the oil filter and did not mess with anything else.

Oil pressure is good.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Scott

Update,

I also put a gasket under the turbo for the oil return (the spot directly under the turbo). Is there any way that I could have over tightened the 2 bolts for the connection at the bottom of the turbo and the top of the oil return, causing oil to get in the exhaust?

I looked under the car and I see oil leaking out of the flex section, basically pouring out.

Any direction would be awesome!

Thanks,
Scott

UPDATE 2 -

I took the intake off and oil is spilling out of the intake side of the turbo. Am I correct in thinking that I tightened the screws too much on the bottom, or is it possible that the oil is not draining from the turbo?

Thanks for any insight.

-Scott

FINAL UPDATE -

I am an idiot...that is all.

My gasket worked too well.

Please commence with flaming me for being....slow.

-Scott

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    886.9 KB · Views: 182
Yea, turbo is good. I only idled the car for a couple minutes before shutting it off for good following all the smoke coming out the exhaust, so I think I avoided any damage. I am cleaning things as we speak and putting it back together.

I will update to let Everyone know the car made it through this ordeal.

-Scott

So much smoke. It was nuts.

I kept asking myself how the head gasket could have blown from an oil change. ROFL !

Being that I’m exactly one week into having my first kid I’ve been a little scatter brained lately.

That’s why my gasket was missing a hole I’m sure!

FINAL UPDATE -

I am an idiot...that is all.

My gasket worked too well.

Please commence with flaming me for being....slow.

-Scott
Is it ok to just LAUGH and shrug and say "Hey, shit happens" ??? :p :tease:
Glad you put the solution to the problem on so the thread has a good ending. Also, glad all is well and it was just something simple. :thumb:

I do have a couple of left over questions.

1. I’m assuming the car is going to smoke for a little while as the oil burns out of the places it shouldn’t have been. I took the car out today and beat on it a little and at higher rpm’s and boost it was still smoking pretty significantly. The question is, for this situation, is that normal?

2. Second question is, what are the chances that I hurt the turbo? Will not being able to drain have an impact on the life of the turbo in theory?

Thanks for any answers.

Scott

Yes the back pressure "could" blow a seal out and let it continue to burn oil. After I toasted a HX40, my exhaust smoked for about a half hour, then it pretty much fizzled out. Of course I had to get a new unit and it quit pretty quick.
@JusMX141 , could the backup of oil in the return kill a seal on this gentleman's turbo?

I did a PCV setup change like two months ago. In response it blew oil in my charge pipes.

Took the car out after cleaning what i thought needed, and drove it until it stopped smoking.

I more recently got into an accident and was able to see that the oil had been in those pipes still for MONTHS. You will have to remove as much as possible and clean with kerosene or simple green or whatever you choose.

I just drove the SHIT outta mine........I was the local mosquito fogger for the evening ROFL
I hope it diminishes soon so you can not be worried by it.

could the backup of oil in the return kill a seal on this gentleman's turbo?
Very unlikely if it was never driven. Not enough heat was introduced in order to get the oil hot enough to stick to parts like the shaft, sealing ring, and bearing housing sealing surface.

Thanks Justin!!!! :thumb:

Thanks guys!

I did start the car and let it run for about 5 minutes after the oil change. I did NOT boost at all and drive it around the block and parked it immediately to investigate.

Honestly, I wouldn’t be too angry if the turbo seals were screwed, it would give me a reason to put the built 6 bolt in with my Holset.

Now if I could just get the guys at ECMLink to reply back to see if they can convert my 1g link to 2g...I only emailed them today, so I am patiently waiting for them to reply.

hey scott, i don't know if the smoke issues had been resolved yet? have you cleaned all your charger pipes out, intake many ect..? also maybe try flushing your exhaust with some water and dawn dish soap it does wonders with oily ducks LOL

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back