The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

slow acceleration from idle to about 3000 rpm?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

britdog

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 27, 2011
tiffin, Ohio
Well i had bought a 1998 eagle talon esi 420a and since ive had it, it has a slow start from idle to around 3000 rpm? I dont know why. I have put on a cold air intake, changed oil, new spark plugs, exhaust, and racing resignator. I still have the problem and would like to know how to fix it. Thanks

That's a heavy car without much motor, unfortunately. Have you replaced the fuel filter recently? If not, or if you're unsure, just replace it. I would also ensure that the valve timing and ignition timing are within spec. I've had more than a few instances where, unknown to me, the valve timing was off by a tooth or two. You'll have poor performance, but the car will still operate. Same with ignition timing. Spark too soon or too late will degrade performance. If push comes to shove, you may want to perform a compression check. A valve not seating properly or worn out rings will kill your performance too. Remember that your car was manufactured in 1997, and if you just bought it, you have no idea of its maintenance history.

It sounds as though your base timing might be off. Check online on how to use one then look up on here as to how to adjust it.

Honestly how the timing light works is so cool I like to check mine whenever I get a chance to use one :p.

Hard to judge slow acceleration, through a members words, but I can tell you our powerband doesn't hit till about 4-4,500, small engines rarely have low end power.

Well I have an automatic 98 gs and my acceleration is SLOW! my car actually feels like Vtec just kicked in at about 4k Rpms haha I think n/t eclipses are just that slow

Also noticed you have a 5inch exhaust it says to a 4inch tip, that alone will reduce the hp of your car...

Yeah....anything over 2.5 is pretty much a REDUCTION in HP with a 420a.

..be like running without an exhaust manifold .... need that back pressure - why factories puts on the right diameter of pipe to match the needed HP to move a 2600 lb mass on iron and steel ..

Umm no, factories normally use what is economical for the car while staying cost effective. Also back pressure is ALWAYS bad for a car. What a car does need is scavenging gases.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/fre...8578-exhaust-straight-scoop-backpressure.html

Also a 3inch exhaust is forgivable, but only if you have some insane NA numbers or are boosted.

Yes...good writeup which makes one asks a question is why NA's and turbos running the same diameter of exhaust (in stock form) when the turbo diminishes the scavanging effect?

Umm no, factories normally use what is economical for the car while staying cost effective. Also back pressure is ALWAYS bad for a car. What a car does need is scavenging gases.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/fre...8578-exhaust-straight-scoop-backpressure.html

Also a 3inch exhaust is forgivable, but only if you have some insane NA numbers or are boosted.

There you go.

Okay Thanks for all the information on what could be causing the problem. its a forsure slow acceleration. I am going to check out the gas filter and replace it when i get the money. Ill let you guys know if it makes a noticable change. Thanks for all the comments

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back