The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Shifter cable problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBoosted96GST

20+ Year Contributor
Jun 16, 2002
Avondale, Arizona
1990 TSi AWD.... I swapped a '91 transmission in it, I went to the salvage yard and picked up a shifter assembly out of a 91+ non-turbo, I also picked up shift cables out of a '91+ non-turbo, I'm having big problems with the shift cables lining up on the trans. I can't twist the cable to get it to match the shift arms on the trans it looks kinda like this
(cable end) \ ----(Arm) also I've read that '91 plus shift lines don't have adjustments on both lines...my cables do. The lines are already bent in the position they've been for 15 yrs from the prior car from the junk yard, so when I twist the whole shift cable it just flips over back to where it was. What can I do to get these lines to match up with the shifter arms? Can '90 lines be used when using a '91 shift assembly and trans? Cause i'll just reinstall my old cables. Any advice? thanks in advance

1990 TSi AWD.... I swapped a '91 transmission in it, I went to the salvage yard and picked up a shifter assembly out of a 91+ non-turbo, I also picked up shift cables out of a '91+ non-turbo, I'm having big problems with the shift cables lining up on the trans. I can't twist the cable to get it to match the shift arms on the trans it looks kinda like this
(cable end) \ ----(Arm) also I've read that '91 plus shift lines don't have adjustments on both lines...my cables do. The lines are already bent in the position they've been for 15 yrs from the prior car from the junk yard, so when I twist the whole shift cable it just flips over back to where it was. What can I do to get these lines to match up with the shifter arms? Can '90 lines be used when using a '91 shift assembly and trans? Cause i'll just reinstall my old cables. Any advice? thanks in advance

'90 cables are different and will not work with a '91 transmission and shifter assembly. I'm sure you probably did, but the bracket for the cables on the transmission is different also, so it should correspond to the year of the transmission. It could also be bent.

read through it completly for the 2nd time....I have 91+ shift cables, shifter, and bracket...the car shifts into every gear...it's just super notchy the shifter cables are cocked so theres resistance when putting them on the shifter arms on the trans and everytime I try and twist the cable it will twist right back to its previous position, i'm confused on what to do to get the cables to line up with the shifter arms...guess i'll just have to go to a salvage yard and pull a new pair...any advice? thanks

Pull the cables off the trans, have someone manually put the trans in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc, and
you'll see how far the cables are out of adjustment once you move the shifter into
the corresponding gear. If theyre cocked, then you could possibly have them in the
wrong place, reversed I mean. I'm not sure if it'd still allow you to get all the gears
though.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back