The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

ECMlink setup going ok BUT could do with some extra advice as im going in circles i think (limited knowledge)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I had the same issue dialing in my injectors. Here's where mine are at. FYI at the bottom of certain pages, it will give you a brief description.

Adjusts injector pulsewidth based on a throttle-position rate of change factor, TPSDelta (a loggable value). This table lists raw values that are proportional to the amount of throttle tip-in fuel injected. Bigger numbers produce a bigger fuel squirt.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I had the same issue dialing in my injectors. Here's where mine are at. FYI at the bottom of certain pages, it will give you a brief description.

Adjusts injector pulsewidth based on a throttle-position rate of change factor, TPSDelta (a loggable value). This table lists raw values that are proportional to the amount of throttle tip-in fuel injected. Bigger numbers produce a bigger fuel squirt.

yeah im reading those details but the down - gives zero details as to what it refers to and i would of thought it gives you a point of origin and what it represents.

so on yours the numbers slope upwards. im assuming this is normal for it to be like this and evenly balance upwards? does anything else effect these values

so on yours the numbers slope upwards. im assuming this is normal for it to be like this and evenly balance upwards? does anything else effect these values
I turned my laptop off. Can’t recall exactly which I changed but I kept the curve similar to oe. Not sure what you mean by the last question.

I turned my laptop off. Can’t recall exactly which I changed but I kept the curve similar to oe. Not sure what you mean by the last question.
I ment is it a constant value or does this only get scanned and used in closed loop or from a stop to low speeds. Did not know if it has an area it works and then phases out and is not used or not

I ment is it a constant value or does this only get scanned and used in closed loop or from a stop to low speeds. Did not know if it has an area it works and then phases out and is not used or not
It’s constant, all the time and does not matter closed/open loop.

so i have reset most things in the coolant temp stuff, as i noticed it seemed to be adding fuel so i decided to pretty much start that section from scratch and it seems fine to do so,

so this is log 1 and log 2!
log 1 is going to my inspection so its not fast or anything and not constant but its something,

log 2 is moving abit more and some highway cruising. I have looked over it a bit but not had a good amount of time to go over in detail yet but i did see some knock in some areas.

car drove fine, temps were fine even though i was in traffic alot of the time so i know thats all ok. acceleration felt good, boost seems slower but im not expecting it to be fully operational right away without adjustments. its now setup for 20psi vs 12 so likely will come it later with the hybrid i built for later power band.

other then that the idle is nice and spot on even in stock form and what i did see the AFR was good while cruising also.

im going to have some free time wednesday so i can look over this fully myself but if anyone see's anything before me then let me know so i can check it out

Thanks

Attachments

• log.2021.09.24-01.elg
    1.8 MB · Views: 15
  • log.2021.09.24-02.elg
    1 MB · Views: 16
Bobby, from what I see it is running a tad bit lean. It could use a little more fuel globally. Your STFT and LTFT is adding fuel in the logs. Not a lot but some.

Bobby, from what I see it is running a tad bit lean. It could use a little more fuel globally. Your STFT and LTFT is adding fuel in the logs. Not a lot but some.
Which log was you looking at? Log 1 or 2? Befor i go and do any alterations i need to go and do some nice controled crusie logs as these are short throttle blips and stop / start driving so not super controlled and helpful but might be of use for finding something. I will review it in alot more details during the week,

Let me know what one you saw the lean conditions in

Both but mostly on the 2nd log where you did more driving. Are you still on a MAF or is your car SD now Bobby?

If you are an SD car, you can do some random regular driving and then RIGHT click in the log you save from the drive and do an "SD Adjust" and it will fill in some cells for you that it thinks you need. It looks like this. I always "save" the original log and then rename the log after an SD Adjust so if it puts in bad "information" I can go back and load the original logs SD table.
See my example in the picture. It is something some people don't know about.

Both but mostly on the 2nd log where you did more driving. Are you still on a MAF or is your car SD now Bobby?
Its SD. I got told go straight to SD so i did.

Thats the log i got on the highway and higher speeds. I hope to get out to a long freeway one day thats quiet on sundays and do a nice steady cruise log and it has hills and slopes so can get more cells loaded up

If you are an SD car, you can do some random regular driving and then RIGHT click in the log you save from the drive and do an "SD Adjust" and it will fill in some cells for you that it thinks you need. It looks like this. I always "save" the original log and then rename the log after an SD Adjust so if it puts in bad "information" I can go back and load the original logs SD table.
See my example in the picture. It is something some people don't know about.

Yeah i know of this one. I had a mess around with it one a drive around the block to see what the effects it would do but i cancelled it as it was not good data to go from

Sometimes it is very helpful but you need the hills, varying speeds and loads and letting it capture as much data as it can. I commend you for going right to SD. I am glad you have had "some" experience with that option :thumb:

Sometimes it is very helpful but you need the hills, varying speeds and loads and letting it capture as much data as it can. I commend you for going right to SD. I am glad you have had "some" experience with that option :thumb:
I been told i can use the brakes to load various cells. Overall i wish it was more refined data to begin with on link but hopefully they solve this as i find myself searching what everything does and some parts are not mentioned anywhere so if they dont come up i assume they not important LOL. Must be right.... Otherwise they would be widespread asked about in my eyes.

Im getting used to it all but the things i have to figure out is the adjustments for effects and how to resolve it. Thats the tricky part for me to get right

Im getting used to it all but the things i have to figure out is the adjustments for effects and how to resolve it. Thats the tricky part for me to get right
Your idle looks good. ISC target is 36 and lrnidleadj target is 144. On idle you can play with deadtime to get compft as close to 0 as you can. Once you do what Marty said above, you can use afrest and your wideband to get afr correct. You look at wbfactor and add or subtract fuel on the sd table. You just use wbfactor and adjust to the cell in the sd table. You would have to track datalog to do this. What are you using for boost control? Not sure if you knew all this info but just trying to help with basic things.

Your idle looks good. ISC target is 36 and lrnidleadj target is 144. On idle you can play with deadtime to get compft as close to 0 as you can. Once you do what Marty said above, you can use afrest and your wideband to get afr correct. You look at wbfactor and add or subtract fuel on the sd table. You just use wbfactor and adjust to the cell in the sd table. You would have to track datalog to do this. What are you using for boost control? Not sure if you knew all this info but just trying to help with basic things.
Yeah the idle isc and learnadjst seems to move about when when i did set them they held steady at what is logged here as desired for a while, i think it moves about once i shut it off but its fractional so i dont over worry on that part it still has enough on the ISC to swing both ways.

I know of some of that what you mentioned. It tends to be the thing i dont get fully is the adjustments as in if idle is ok then global is ok but as soon as i mess with global then idle will be effected now so i have to rethink that or does that now get adjusted in the SD cell idle is connected to? I know global is WOT tuning tool so in my mind the SD chart is fine tuning so i would adjust idle in the SD cells linked to.

I maybe wrong in that logic but thats who im perserving it at least.

As for boost control curre tly its just gate pressure/spring 20psi. I need to add a manual one to set it to 24psi but after that i have the ecmlink IR EBC i can setup via ecmlink but when i bought that people had issues setting up getting it fully working so i thought i would get tuning done first then worry about ecu controlled boost

I'm not familiar with DSMLink itself but have been tuning my cars for quite a few years now with the likes of SCT, HPtuners and using the blackbox ecu with my dsm.

Some things that might help your thought process

Everything is really tuned with air, meaning if you need more fuel somewhere you figure out where you need to add air

When you add air the ecu/pcm will calculate the proper amount of fuel based on the air, with MAF systems its some form or measured air count, with SD is generally some unit of % of cylinder volume filled with air

Fueling is generally a static value to the ecu/pcm unless you have a returnless system with pcm controlled pump driver

By static I mean your fuel pressure with a rising rate regulator maintains a constant pressure at the injector tip, raising pressure to counter manifold pressure and reducing pressure due to manifold vacuum but is trying to maintain a constant or around 43psi at the injector tip, this is constant so the ecu can easily calculate required fueling based on estimated air mass changes, even though fuel pressure changes at the rail it should be static feeding the engine at the manifold

So you generally get your fueling locked down based on the injector data you have which would be done by telling the ecu the injector size and dead time for dsm's, it's more elaborate in newer systems

Dead time is how long it takes the injector to actually open, the dead zone before the injector actually delivers fuel, based on the dead time entered the ecu will add to the injector PW to be able to deliver the proper amount of fuel into the cylinder that it estimates is needed, having accurate dead times means the ecu will be able accurately deliver the calculated fuel required by the engine, most important for a good idle as the PW's are much shorter at idle, especially the larger the injectors are

You don't want to be changing dead time down the road as it will affect your fuel across the board and all the work you did trying to dial in you maf or VE table will be thrown off and you'll need to do it again

Injector size should be close to the actual size of the injector you are actually running, if it's not correct the ecu won't be able to properly calculate the proper PW for the injector to deliver the intended amount of fuel

Fueling should largely be a set it and forget function, you should not need to make many direct adjustments related to things fueling, most of the adjustments should be done to things airflow related, in most cases the math the pcm uses to calculate fuel required will work fine if your MAF or VE is dialed in correctly and giving accurate feedback on air mass in the cylinder

Lock your fueling down and work on your VE map or MAF curve to get air dialed in, at the end of the day air in the cylinder is what all fueling is based on

Turn as few a screws as possible as the more things you change the more things you start working around and it can complicate a rather simple process

Just my experience and perspective in general

Last edited:
Yeah the idle isc and learnadjst seems to move about when when i did set them they held steady at what is logged here as desired for a while, i think it moves about once i shut it off but its fractional so i dont over worry on that part it still has enough on the ISC to swing both ways.

I know of some of that what you mentioned. It tends to be the thing i dont get fully is the adjustments as in if idle is ok then global is ok but as soon as i mess with global then idle will be effected now so i have to rethink that or does that now get adjusted in the SD cell idle is connected to? I know global is WOT tuning tool so in my mind the SD chart is fine tuning so i would adjust idle in the SD cells linked to.

I maybe wrong in that logic but thats who im perserving it at least.

As for boost control curre tly its just gate pressure/spring 20psi. I need to add a manual one to set it to 24psi but after that i have the ecmlink IR EBC i can setup via ecmlink but when i bought that people had issues setting up getting it fully working so i thought i would get tuning done first then worry about ecu controlled boost
You on the right track. Global does change idle. Basically when WOT tuning you dont want the cells to be over 100. I have mine at 103 in some. But if wbfactor is telling you to adjust beyond this limit, then you need to adjust global. For example I run 1650s, and my global is set to roughly 1400cc. But generally you do idle, cruise then WOT. Then go back to idle if needed.

The dsmlink boost control works well once set up right. If your needing more duty cycle, then you need to change the spring setup.

thanks for the help chaps.

I decided to get the car road taxed and go for a nice cruise up a 2 lane freeway which was fairly long and some hills and suchs, it was raining so i could not do mush higher speeds but i did get a good few 6k climbs for rpm data as best as i could with no cars around.

tracking is still off so i had to be careful but i started to redo that sunday but ran out of time.

so while im still learning i looked over alot of this log and i see LTFT is adding in places but not in other places but then my mids are adding a bit so from that im assuming my global is too high and needs a bit less but from memory this will get adjusted in WOT tuning so i should leave this for now.
some places its almost spot on! so im not quite sure if im a tad lucky or its just me thinking im a whiz at tuning hahahaha.

I do need to go over the combined FT again as some of it was ok and not so ok and then the WBfactor to adjust the VE table, but it drove nicely for the speeds i got to and what slight pulls i did do safely for the car. WB never went weird on me so thats a good sign.

I do notice i have some knock but i have yet to figure out if this is due to my solid roll stops or not. i guess i could try poly roll stops and see if it does the same thing or less maybe. my subframe is now solid mounted to the chassis also but evos are the same so i doubt that the cause but the roll stops might be contributing. something to check out in the tune maybe and see if it goes or stays. one would use timing for knock or does it depend on other factors at that time also?

FYI its a long long log!!!! it starts slow till i get to the roads i can do 70mph odd

Attachments

• log.2021.10.02-01.elg
    2.4 MB · Views: 16
Bobby, if it shows some knock in places, just pull a bit of timing, either with the sliders or in the timing table. 1 count of knock I wouldn't worry about but if it is 2 or more, you want to get rid of it.
I was going to be a smart-ass and say to use a EVO knock sensor but I don't want to confuse you, you are doing very well.

I'd start doing WOT pulls. This is your average fuel trims and it look fine for now.

As for the knock, it's lean in those spots. Here's an example. Again, I'd do WOT pulls to get correct global, then tune cruise and idle.

I'd start doing WOT pulls. This is your average fuel trims and it look fine for now.

As for the knock, it's lean in those spots. Here's an example. Again, I'd do WOT pulls to get correct global, then tune cruise and idle.

Thats good to know i can do wot pulls now. I have it set at spring pressure currently so i shall install my boost controler and set it to my 24 psi target and work to that vs my spring pressure (20psi) thats a job for me on the weekend then.

As for the lean sections. So the CombinedFT and WB factor are showing as + so thats adding fuel for me so i need to account for that in those places. How do i work with this fuel vs timing to make it right or is it try one and if it dont work then try the other? But of course using eyes to see the issue, so here its saying fuel is my issue as my first step then if its ok and still present then i swap to timing for correction

Bobby, if it shows some knock in places, just pull a bit of timing, either with the sliders or in the timing table. 1 count of knock I wouldn't worry about but if it is 2 or more, you want to get rid of it.
I was going to be a smart-ass and say to use a EVO knock sensor but I don't want to confuse you, you are doing very well.
I swapped my KS not many years ago so its still pretty new. I know the evo ones do work and im sure i can get them eaily or maybe an evo3 one here if i can find one

Thats good to know i can do wot pulls now. I have it set at spring pressure currently so i shall install my boost controler and set it to my 24 psi target and work to that vs my spring pressure (20psi) thats a job for me on the weekend then.

As for the lean sections. So the CombinedFT and WB factor are showing as + so thats adding fuel for me so i need to account for that in those places. How do i work with this fuel vs timing to make it right or is it try one and if it dont work then try the other? But of course using eyes to see the issue, so here its saying fuel is my issue as my first step then if its ok and still present then i swap to timing for correction
If possible I would lower boost to roughly 10 to start with. It's just safer. As I mentioned above the goal for wbfactor is to be as close to 0 while maintaining the cells in the sd table to be 100 or less for wot.

My tuner prior to me learning suggest for me to change the springs in the gate lower to maintain 10psi. Then up boost in 5psi increments.

When doing wot, just track the datalog and add that wbfactor percentage to that cell. Eventually at the end, the cells would be balances up to 100. If not the global needs adjusted and repeat the process. That's how I would do it. I cant comment on any timing adjustments though.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back