The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

seafoam works! [merged]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cranky

Probationary Member
Nov 15, 2003
OhioUS
I have been using seafoam in heavy equipment engines for years and I have seen it make dramatic differences in performance and idle quality. I recently had a problem with low power from my 91 talon. It felt like the computer was removing timing. Normally what I do is find a secluded spot because you will smoke down your whole neighborhood. Start the engine and let it get up to opperating temp. I remove a vacum hose and put it in the can and rev the engine to about 2500 rpm and suck the can dry. Shut off the engine and let it sit for about 15 minutes. Then start it back up and run it down the road, and run it hard. This will remove a substantial amount of carbon build up from the combustion chambers. :thumb:

octane has NOTHING to do with how the gas burns, only how it resists spontaneous combustion under pressure. just trying to save ya some money.

HAHA! Good God! OKAY!

(siphons tank into gutter.... replaces with weed-whip gas)

I get it man! haha! :ohdamn:

Damn, if my knock comes back you guys are gonna hear about it.

If you have audible knock in the cabin in an NT then you have very serious problems.

Glad the seafoam helped.

I never said in the cabin, bro. I think you need a beer and a nap or something. WTF is with all the negativity?

Seriously, I really didn't know that higher octane could actually reduce engine power, that's good information. I was wrong, thanks for the heads up, guys!!

Last edited:
Found this on wikipedia Maybe this will help

Higher octane ratings correlate to higher activation energies. Activation energy is the amount of energy necessary to start a chemical reaction. Since higher octane fuels have higher activation energies, it is less likely that a given compression will cause autoignition.

It might seem odd that fuels with higher octane ratings are used in more powerful engines, since such fuels ignite less easily. However, an uncontrolled ignition is not desired in a spark ignition engine.

Octane rating - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia This is the page some good reading in there explaining alot

I never said in the cabin, bro. I think you need a beer and a nap or something. is with all the negativity?

I do not think he was being negative, I honestly think he was being sincere. Understand, we have no way of telling what kind of actual automotive knowledge you have. And a good portion of internet users lie or embellish. Ever been on a few blind dates from dating websites? Let me tell you, somehow 5'4" 115lbs blonde and blue eyes in that picture she emailed you turns into 4'7" two Yugos and a Mini curb weight bald and coke bottle bottoms for glasses.

If you had knock/detonation that was audible in the cabin, you probably was in for some major expenses if not a new car. Now, if he told you that you were a retard or something to that extenet, I would see your defense.

I have tried before BUT my TB getting dirty and idle had problem at meanwhile.

Just my case.

thanks

the best way to do seafoam is 1/3 in gas tank, 1/3 in engine oil, 1/3 through vac line

It is the best in the engine oil and vac line i did this just to prove a point to my friend about how great it worked i did it on a ss/sc cobalt that we had recently taken the head off of for a new head gasket. when it spun a rod we took everything off to build it. well i did seafoam through the engine and oil like 1000 miles and the engine was spotless the crank had almost no carbon or slug build up. and piston heads where almost looking bran new

the down side to adding it to the oil

it does still protect just as good and it works better when heated up cleans amazing and you should add it every other oil change i like to half way mark at 2000 or 4000 depending on oil or sys

IT DOES TAKE out all the crapy build up this means your oil will go bad faster not sea foam breaking your oil just all the dirt coming off. this means youll have to change it sooner BUT it says on the can at least 100 miles with it i push it to 1000-2000 or when ever oil is BLACK as tar the longer its in the better it cleans. but the blacker the oil less it will protect so keep that in mind

Sea foam worth its weight in gold everyone should by a can ever 3-4 months and do the 1/3 plan like me =0

i have always just bought a can and sucked the entire can through a vacuum hose. i wonder what kind of cleaning it would do just pouring 1/4 can in each cylinder and letting it sit for a while.

O I ALSO FORGOT ITS best to seafoam a car after a long drive where the engine is at its normal running temp THIS WILL PREVENT HYDROLOCK also seafoam on its own will evaporate on its own if worst case you just poured it though the spark plug holes. If the engine is at its normal running them u can run a whole bottle which is have done with no problem

the check engine like that sometimes comes on is ither too lean or too rich since the 02 senor is picking up the seafoam and just WTFs itself just clear it and it wont come back if it does its not from the seafoam

I guess this is the official sea foam works thread.
I was always the reader of this thread. Since now I've tried it. I f en love it. My car was having trouble going at cold starts. Really bad lag before 3k rpm and now it's totally gone.
The car wouldn't go over 3k rpms like it was stuck somewhere. Now it's all gone and my car is hella fun AGAIN!
Got an engine light but I guess it's from bad plugs maybe. Seems to be common on some peoples car after seafoam from what I read. I'll be doing a oil and spark plug change in 4 days. Hope all is well.

Ok wanted to make a thread about seafoam to ask some questions. Well here it gos ive been watching some vids on youtube recently about seafoam. Well what i was wondering were do you dump it at because this one guy was dumping it straight into intake i believe and it started smokeing real bad? So were do i dump it at to get the carbon build up out and should i just dump it into the gas tank anyways instead of what other people do on youtube or is it the right way on how there doing it.:confused::hmm:

You put in in the TB in our cars....The one labeled "P." The car will smoke ALOT. I mean ALOT. its normal.

This is bad for High Mileage cars because the carbon buildup can be covering TINY cracks on the pistons and what not.

You can also run it through your brake booster line. I run it through both the TB and booster line to make sure i got the entire intake mani.
I love the stuff works great, but it can and will find/expose cracks.
Make sure not to dunk the vac line in the container, you don't want to run the risk of hydrolock.
The car will smoke like crazy, but this is normal. Its really nice for smoking out your neighborhood :thumb:

I read the other post and it said it wont hydrolock at all. and my car has 208xxx miles on it but it has a new head on it too.

I heard it wont hydrolock the car at all.

Pouring ANY liquid into your engine can cause hydrolock.
So long as your not stupid and let the engine produced vacuum suck the seafoam into the intake you should be fine. Dont go dumping the can down your intake tubing to your TB as you'll FUBAR your motor.

I read the other post and it said it wont hydrolock at all. and my car has 208xxx miles on it but it has a new head on it too.

I heard it wont hydrolock the car at all.

If its a rebuilt head then whats the point? I use it to get the carbon buildup off my valves....my car has 174k and I think maybe I lost half my compression when I did it...The carbon buildup could have been so bad that when I took it off the top of the pistons, it never seated right again.....:ohdamn:

I feel it's not cracks the carbon removal is exposing but rather increasing your chance for damaged components when using it.

If you have a lot of built up carbon and it all breaks loose, where it is going? It's going into the head and then out the exhaust valve and through the turbine wheel if turbo. A large portion could break loose from a valve but not all of it and then pose a sealing issue between the valve and seat. How about a large chunk off of the piston? It'll want to get pushed out the exhaust valve and what happens when the whole piece doesn't fit through?

These are serious considerations you should think about before using any combustion chamber cleaner aside from one when the head is off the block. Myself and others have had great success however but there is always that small chance you risk.

When I did mine, my exhaust was so hot, I looked through my muffler (Magnaflow) and saw the baffles were red and there was some fire inside of it. It was pretty wild, never happened again though so I wasn't sure what happened.

PUtting it in your tank doesnt make you have to change your oil. Its just gonna clean the fuel system...I would do it and be done.....Buy two bottles btw....Shop around because over by me autozone had it for 9.99 each, and the local mom and pops store had it for 6 and some change. :)

i might just put it in the gas tank just to save trouble of hydrolocking the engine.

Unless you dump the whole bottle in at once, you wont lock it man. The recommended way is to use some kind of vacuum line or straw or something and feed it SLOWLY into the P on the Intake Manifold. This is how I did it. I did like 2 hours research beforehand also.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back