1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

seafoam works! [merged]

Posted by cranky, May 12, 2004

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication
  1. jay1892

jay1892 Proven Member

Joined Apr 1, 2010
    Everett, Washington
    But is it really worth doing? Will it really make that much of a difference?

333  0

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    · 2G DSM
  2. obsidian

obsidian Proven Member

Joined Jun 25, 2007
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    I have pictures of what seafoam can do for your car. Give me a few minutes and I'll get them suckers up.

Before Seafoam and a bit of hard scrubbing while it was off.

SA400012.jpg

SA400015.jpg

SA400014.jpg

SA400013.jpg

After seafoam:

SA400017.jpg

SA400018.jpg

If this doesn't make you a believer, nothing will. Luckily these heads are sooooo easy to do that this only took me about 4 hours total.

359  0

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  3. dsm13oi

dsm13oi Probationary Member

Joined Jul 26, 2011
    Dickinson, North Dakota
    i used it in my gas tank twice. it runs a lot better and i can feel the once lost horsepower again.

4. DOHCTA

DOHCTA Proven Member

Joined Sep 24, 2007
    Ottawa, ON, Canada
    Seafoam is like the long lost and forgoten routine engine maintenance we should all come to know as something that should be saught after the same way we become picky about oil changes. All in all, YES it's really worth it and that's why you're reading this topic. I'm telling you from hands on experiance that it WORKS and YOU WILL NOTICE A DIFFERENCE!

- DOHCTA

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011

585  0

· 2G DSM
  5. bertrenolds

bertrenolds Proven Member

Joined Aug 21, 2010
    savage, Minnesota
    I don't think it's a good idea to be driving around with seafoam in your oil or once you've sucked it through your intake. You are just supposed to idle and let everything burn off. Read the vfaqs for MCCC http://www.vfaq.com/index-main.html

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2014

333  0

1991 Eagle Talon TSi
    · 1G DSM
  6. DOHCTA

DOHCTA Proven Member

Joined Sep 24, 2007
    Ottawa, ON, Canada
    I changed the oil when I got back from my drive. On the bottle of Seafoam, it mentions that when adding it to both your fuel tank and crankcase, it helps to remove moisture. I totally agree with you that leaving it in the crankcase for more than a day, may not be so good. But like I stated in the start of my post, lifter tick was present..and is no longer. Job well done Seafoam! IMO. Man I feel like I work for these guys or something LOL.

585  0

· 2G DSM
  7. 19BLACKGST98

19BLACKGST98 Proven Member

Joined Nov 6, 2003
    McKinney, Texas
    Im going to run a can through my car right now. Half a can into the cylinders through the spark plug holes and half threw the BOV vac line. I cant change the oil until morning though so it will have to sit. I guess I will pour it into the cylinders first...wait 15 min then start the vac process.

It takes a little bit to get the car started when doing this. I almost killed the battery LOL.

8. DOHCTA

DOHCTA Proven Member

Joined Sep 24, 2007
    Ottawa, ON, Canada
    Results? :hmm:

585  0

· 2G DSM
  9. 19BLACKGST98

19BLACKGST98 Proven Member

Joined Nov 6, 2003
    McKinney, Texas
    It started right up after I let it sit for 15min the second time (after sucking it threw bov hose). I ran it down th road hard for about 10 min leaving a trail of smoke the whole time. Ill change the oil and plugs in the morning and see how it goes from there :).
    Thanks for the instructions guys.

10. dplakosh

dplakosh Probationary Member

Joined Jul 30, 2011
    Center Township, Pennsylvania
    Did this today....my car smoked like crazy but seems to be idling much better

Street Build 514  0

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
  11. silicosys4

silicosys4 Proven Member

Joined Jan 13, 2011
    Port Angeles, Washington
    Anyone who has a carb'd motorcycle knows about seafoam. It will clean up gummed up carbs better than just about anything. I use seafoam in my gas if I know I won't be driving for a while (in the winter). Good stuff.

12. 97gst_spyder

97gst_spyder Proven Member

Joined Sep 1, 2008
    Lakeland, Florida
    Just be careful when sucking it into the engine. I have used seafaom for the last 6 years in my Sentra. I noticed that the performance was getting crappier and mpg dropped about 75 miles again. I always use about a half a can in the engine via brake boost line. Well last night it stated raining as soon as I got the line in the can. It sucked it up way to quick. I turned the car off after it idled for about 10sec after sucking in the half. Then engine kept running with a horrid sound, and was spinning backwards! Knocking horribly too (timing chain). So I quickly grab the vac line and put my thumb over it like you would a diesel, nogo. Built up pressure and blew my thumb off the hose and sprayed myself and DSM with seafoam. Then the white 'seafoam' cloud started coming from the intake and vac hose...

It sounds like a long time, but this all was about 20 sec. Scared the sh** out of me. I though I blew the engine to hell.

Well after it sitting for about 5 min, I started it. Ran fine. No issues. Great mileage and performance again.

The whole point of this essay was to make sure you don't suck the can into your engine in 10-15 sec flat...

13. ed1380

ed1380 Supporting VIP

Joined Sep 29, 2007
    ATL, Georgia
    That's what I've always done, but I use a small vacuum line from the fpr. That way I can submerge the whole hose and it will struggle but not die.

1K  0

· 2G DSM
  14. GofaST4life

GofaST4life Proven Member

Joined Oct 21, 2007
    Medina 44256, Ohio
    So one should change the plugs after sea foaming?

I thought it was just the oil.

2K  0

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 2G DSM
  15. pazsion

pazsion Proven Member

Joined Aug 9, 2008
    richmond, Virginia
    Even though it says you can put it in oil... DO NOT EVER PUT IT IN YOUR OIL EVER, NOT EVEN IF YOU CHANGE THE OIL AFTER.

The problem is even if you change the oil, it's in your bearings... it stays there... you'll end up tearing them to heck..

It's ok to clean the intake while running, with no compression leaks, or damaged rings etc..don't let it sit anywhere... it'll melt plastic...and corrode soft / yellow metals. another reason it should never touch the inside of any motor.

16. 97gst_spyder

97gst_spyder Proven Member

Joined Sep 1, 2008
    Lakeland, Florida
    You know the cap is plastic on the can right? Also, I use an existing rubber line for over 6 years with no issues...

So nothing to worry about as long as you follow the proven directions...

17. Smash_NDash

Smash_NDash Proven Member

Joined Jun 11, 2011
    charlotte, North Carolina
    I used a Can a few months back. 1/2 in my oil and 1/2 in my gas tank and it got rid of my rough idle problem, plus a slight increase in gas mileage

18. obsidian

obsidian Proven Member

Joined Jun 25, 2007
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    I've used seafoam in MANY MANY engines with it never eating the bearings. What can happen is it thins the oil out and gets the crud broken down and then people keep running that oil.

When adding it to your oil, do not run it for very long. The thinner oil is not well liked so just do yourself a favor and change it soon after adding it.

If you've used good quality oil for a long time and you keep it changed, then there is no need to use this in the oil.

359  0

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  19. Denji

Denji Supporting Member

Joined May 4, 2004
    Calabash, North Carolina
    I think I may actually use this stuff at 180,000 miles. I have around 205-215 compression across all 4 cylinders and I'm getting occasional random misfires. I'm thinking it might be the carbon buildup.

525  0

1996 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    14.800 @ 94.000 · 2G DSM
  20. chipchip

chipchip Proven Member

Joined Jan 8, 2010
    Flushing, Michigan
    I wonder if someone put seafoam in your car without your knowledge you would notice a difference? I used to help my old neighbor put seafoam in his focus we would pour it in the intake let it run for 10 seconds then shut it off for 15 minutes. When we would drive down the street it would dump out a thick cloud of white smoke and my buddy would always say its carbon coming out. If it was burning carbon wouldn't it be black?

21. WES_393

WES_393 DSM Wiseman

Joined Jun 6, 2011
    Colo Spgs, Colorado
    I've used Seafoam in many cars. Ford's, Toyota's, DSM's, etc. I've alwyas been pleased with the results. But the Seafoam does make oil thinner so I wouldn't recommend driving for long periods of time or with heavy loads.

And there is a threat of hydrolock. Especially with NA engines. Seafoam is a liquid, liquids cannot be compressed, end of story. I call BS on the old comment of "Spraying a hose in the intake without damage" or that you would have to "put the intake hose in a bucket of water" to get hydrolock. Follow the directions on the can and you won't need to worry about hydrolock.

22. HaveBlue83

HaveBlue83 Proven Member

Joined Feb 10, 2009
    Landenburg, Pennsylvania
    my buddy uses it. he cleaned out my old 200k gst engine with it. looked like a headgasket went when he took it down the road afterwards LOL. like a smoke machine.

Street Build 3K  0

1993 Eagle Summit Coupe (1991 Eagle Talon engine)
    manual · 4G63t Swapped
  23. Kait

Kait Proven Member

Joined Jun 13, 2010
    Princeton, Massachusetts
    This stuff is awesome. I use it once a year on all my vehicles.

24. The Great White

The Great White Proven Member

Joined Aug 9, 2011
    Upton, Massachusetts
    I did this on a VR-4 I once had through the vacuum line, and watching it smoke was half the fun. I never thought of sucking it right out of the can though, rather than trying to funnel it in slowly, which was a bit of a biyotch. I'm due for an oil change and I'm half tempted to try it on the new eclipse.

451  0

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    · 2G DSM
  25. foxracing4500

foxracing4500 Proven Member

Joined Jan 21, 2012
    State College, Pennsylvania
    @obsidian thanks for the pics, I used seafoam before I owned a DSM and it does wonder, still cant believe some people call it snake oil 0_o

Street Build 3K  0

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    automatic · 2G DSM