The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

seafoam works! [merged]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cranky

Probationary Member
Nov 15, 2003
OhioUS
I have been using seafoam in heavy equipment engines for years and I have seen it make dramatic differences in performance and idle quality. I recently had a problem with low power from my 91 talon. It felt like the computer was removing timing. Normally what I do is find a secluded spot because you will smoke down your whole neighborhood. Start the engine and let it get up to opperating temp. I remove a vacum hose and put it in the can and rev the engine to about 2500 rpm and suck the can dry. Shut off the engine and let it sit for about 15 minutes. Then start it back up and run it down the road, and run it hard. This will remove a substantial amount of carbon build up from the combustion chambers. :thumb:

how is breaking up and removing those deposits from your engine not going to help? sure its not going to make it faster and your probably not going to feel anything from it, but wont your oil flow more freely through the engine? resulting in a much quicker cooling rate? allowing your crank (if there is engine sludge build up) spin more freely without that extra drag/weight? and if you remove those deposits from your oil lines to the turbo wont that result in a etter efficiancy rate from the turbo? and result in more life from your turbo from not overheating the bearings?

I personally would put some in your oil. 1/3 to 1/2 of the bottle is plenty to run through the P port but it wouldn't hurt to use the full bottle. Some people like to take the plugs out and put an ounce or so in each cylinder and let it sit overnight. If you do that then crank it over with the plugs out a couple times before putting them in just in case you used too much.

Seafoam really is most beneficial for a healthy car in the crankcase IMO. put it in when you've got about 100 miles to go before an oil change and then just change your oil like normal.

FYI seafoam has a few different products for different parts of your car but if you are ever in a pinch they are actually all identical with different writing on the bottles and a different dye added to the solution so if you ever need to run some in your transmission just go ahead and grab whatever bottle is closest.

just did seafoam treatment today at lunch break and can definitely tell a difference in throttle response. That crap smokes like nothing I've ever seen LOL. But it definitely discipates soon enough to not cause a problem. Was kinda funny to get looks from all kinds of people thinking my car was on fire LOL. Granted, I was on a college campus (not the best place to do it). But it works!

put a vacuum line into the can to the p port
sucked it all up at 2500rpm
as soon as I saw smoke I shut the car off and let it sit for 10 minutes
started the car up and enjoyed the smoke show (idled for about 8 minutes)
took it for a quick little run (took about 5 minutes on backroads to clear the rest out of the system.

this stuff will definitely tell you where you have an exhaust leak! make sure you close your windows when you do this too unless your want your interior to smell like burnt poop

I too ran Seafoam on my 1g. This stuff works like magic.
Before I could hear the lifters ticking all day. After the Seafoam application the engine was very quite. I am more then pleased with the product.

Here's a video I made just past Sunday. Enjoy.

YouTube - Seafoam 90 Talon Tsi AWD

If the lifters ticked before then unfortunately seafoam is only a temporary solution. You could pull the lifters out, soak them in seafoam, bleed them, soak them again, bleed them a second time, then put them back in and you'll likely be good for 50k miles. Otherwise you can spend the $80 on revised lifters and be done with it.

If the lifters ticked before then unfortunately seafoam is only a temporary solution. You could pull the lifters out, soak them in seafoam, bleed them, soak them again, bleed them a second time, then put them back in and you'll likely be good for 50k miles. Otherwise you can spend the $80 on revised lifters and be done with it.

But $80 is 8 cans of Seafoam, and 24 times that I can leave a giant plume of smoke and slow down traffic for my own entertainment. I'd rather spend my $80 on Seafoam.

But seriously, I only feed it through the brake booster (no oil Seafoam or fuel) and I do 1/4 of a can twice, sometimes three times and it usually helps a lot with my noisy head cars and helps with idle quality. I do notice though (surprise) that bigger engines need more Seafoam. I did my friend's New Yorker (3.5L) and 1/4 can didn't do jack. I did 2/3 of the can before I noticed it was better. Also same story with my STS, 1/4 can didn't do anything. Almost no smoke either.

well i just did a treatment with seafoam and lifter tic is gone, as is my idle pulse problem i was having but living with. one 16oz can, 10oz through the "P" port on the trottlebody and 6oz in the crankcase,(but after it got done blowin smoke from going in the trottleboby and taking it for a short drive) but after putting it in the crankcase i took it easy though. got it home and changed the plugs and did an oil and filter change. worked great :thumb::thumb:!!
only problem i had was getting it started again after letting it suck the seafoam through the trottlebody and letting it set for 15 min. after that it would just crank and smoke but wouldn't fire, so i gave it a little gas and it finally fired, but ran like crap for like 10 sec then cleared up and ran fine.;)

I have heard that its not good because all the deposits that seafoam breaks loose goes through your turbo. Is this true or should it be fine? I really want to do this to my talon but i really dont want any damage to occur to it.
Thanx!

The only issue that I have ever had with Seafoam was with a '51 Plymouth and the problem I ran up against was that I used some of it in the gas tank and it broke apart some deposits that actually clogged the fuel line. I replaced the fuel line and the car was wonderful again.

Not to bring a thread back from the dead, but I gave my car the seafoam treatment today!!

I used almost the whole bottle, sucked into the intake via the BOV hose. It smoked like crazy while I was putting it into the engine, but that was nothing compared to the amount of smoke that came out after I let it sit for 20 minutes!!

I started the car back up and drove around and I felt like James Bond with a freakin' smoke screen for 30 minutes! ROFLROFL

I finally just had to hit the freeway and drive it like I stole it to get the smoke to stop.

I bought some Mobil 1 and I'm going to change the oil tomorrow, so we'll see how she runs after that.

It sure seems like it's running a bit better, but tomorrow will be the true test.

Seafoam looks like it burns white-ish when you initially put it in. After it sits and then you drive it again, the smoke screen has a blue-ish tint to it. I assume all the blue smoke comes from all the crap that the seafoam loosened up!! If that is the case, I sure got a lot of shit out of my engine, and I recommend it to everyone.

EDIT: I forgot to add that I've had a crack on my exhaust manifold right between the four bolts for the turbo for a long time. I never knew if it was just a surface crack or if it went all the way through. Lets just say that I found out very quickly that it did indeed go all the way through. I saw smoke billowing from under my heat shield. I pulled the heat shield after I shut the car off and it was damp with burnt seafoam residue! Time for an FP cast manifold...

I also want to add that my car has just over 203k miles. It has a rebuilt head, but as far as I know the bottom end hasn't been touched. I've owned the car for about 6 years, but the guy who I bought it from only had it for a month and didn't know anything about it, other than the rebuilt head.

That being said, anyone who is worried about the seafoam removing gunk that is holding their engine together shouldn't be. Mine smoked for a long ass time... about 30 minutes of freeway and city driving. I too thought it had loosened something and I was now burning oil, because the smoke was blue. But I just kept driving and it finally cleared up and it's running great. I'm going out to put some Mobil 1 in the car right now (yes... I'm switching to synthetic at 203 thousand miles... crazy huh?).

Last edited:
I tried the Sea Foam today in my GS-T. Of course I poured a quarter of it in the gas tank, a quarter of it in the crank case and half the bottle in threw the intake system after the BOV. It smoked like crazy and idled really rough before i got done with the bottle and before the bottle was empty it was already smoking out of the back end of the car. Turned off the car and let it set for about 15 minutes and started it back up. Of course it took it a couple seconds to get going but after she fired up behold the mass amount of smoke came out of the tail pipe. I'm glad the wind was blow the right direction because i would of smoked out my neighbor . LOL. After it stopped smoking so much I took it on a hour drive threw the back roads reaching speeds up to 85 mph. Driving it pretty hard. Then after that changed out the oil/oil filter and filled up on gas and know it runs in perfect condition. Nullified rough idle and doesn't hesitate when getting ready to hit boost point. This stuff is amazing.

This stuff is like liquid gold my friends! This stuff is truely a life saver in a can. Like most of you know, being dsm-ers is normally a constant uphill battle with your car, especially when on a budget. LOL. When I first bought my car it ran super rich because the dumbass who owned it before didnt know what he was doin with an SAFC-II. So after solving many hours worth of mistakes a can of Seafoam seemed to make the most difference. I sucked a half a can through the vaccum and put about a teaspoon into the top of each cylinder, and the rest into the tank, let it sit for 15 or 20 min. and OMG after the smoke clears my car is like new. HAHA actually it was still far from new, but much better. I was truely amazed at what a $6 can could really do!

I want to clean out everything with seafoam, and just started reading about how to use it. The thing is, I just changed my oil 100 miles ago, and dont want to change my oil again. My question is, can I just clean out my fuel system with it now, and not have to change my oil? Then can i wait until 2500 miles later to suck the rest in through a vacuum line to clean out everything else? Or would i just be better off waiting until I change my oil and just do it all at once?

Oil and a filter are like $15-20.

You can put it in your gas tank, but its better to push through your vacuum lines

I just did this on the Civic I bought to drive until I get finished doing my engine build on the TSi. I haven't changed the oil yet, but I will be in the next day or 2. I also found that getting an adjustable valve (from aquarium) helped to keep the flow down and not choke out the tiny little D15. You may not have to worry about that on the 4g.

Either way, I would recommend you go ahead and change the oil fairly shortly after doing it. The stuff it releases from the motor is pretty nasty and you don't want that getting pumped through. Also, you can use it as a good time to see if you have any exhaust leaks, since the smoke will show you.

My brother did it to his 3000gt with amazing results. The car seemed to lose 5 years off it's engine!

But I have a GM car with the 3800 V6 and it has 290,000 miles on it. Should I Seafoam it? I've heard that with that many miles it will do too good of a job cleaning and the engine will lose compression and start burning lots of oil. I probably won't do it but anyone say otherwise?

So obviously, I am intending to use seafoam in my car and obviously need to use it through the "P" port in my car and let it sit. If I use half through the intake and half in the oil, Should that be enough to help clean up the car some.

Also, I plan on using this stuff in my Buick. Because it is N/A, how would I get the seafoam into the intake easiest? Also, I think I am having an issue with a fuel injector in the Buick. Is one can into the fuel really enough to make a difference in the fuel lines or is it necessary to run more or something else to clean out the fuel system. I think someone back a lot of pages used transmission fuild or something ?? Any info would be great! Thanks.

no you dont take off the cat it says leave it because the white carbon smoke helps clean the cat off. it wont hydro lock the motor because and even if in some manner you did it drys on hot surfaces really quick like if your car died give it like 10 mins and it will start up like my friend who left the car off and pour it in the vac line. still cleaned his car

SEAFOAM WORTH ITS WEIGHT IN GOLD

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back