The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

scm 6152e opinions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

project_tsi said:
Ok well on that website it doesn't show the 6167 as being available with a SP cover, but would it be? I'd assume so b/c the coldside specs are the same.

And what about the 6169? Looks to have the same specs all around as the 6152 but with a t04 wheel compared to the 52's t350 wheel.
I'd pass th up the O trim and get a P trim, If were talking about the scm6152 comes with a smaller 2.795"/2.437" T350. All the sc61's coldsides are the same I see no reason why you couldn't get that cover for any of them.

I run a bolt on SCM6176BB. It only surges on the dyno at 35+psi. That was with a single HSK racing type II BOV. With two tials now it does not. I run the E cover on mine. Car does not surge other than on the dyno.

Steven

How much did you put down with 35 psi?

I know Dejon Tool is offering the free upgrade to the s cover or sp cover if you buy the turbo thru them on top of it only being 749....

According to precision they do not make a bolt on sc61 with a p-trim turbine wheel. All of theirs are 76 trim stage V t350s, completely different wheel. My E cover SC61 with a different bolt on housing does not surge at all, though the car spins so bad the load might have something to do with it. Even at 28psi its fine. If you are worried about surge at all then just go with a larger turbine housing.

DGajre777 said:
Members on here and Dejonpowerhouse. I think I still have the e-mail, I'll have to go find it.

EDIT: Nope, don't have the e-mail. I found a thread about it though.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showpost.php?p=50333205&postcount=16
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showpost.php?p=50333205&postcount=17

That's an SBR turbo and it most likely has the tiny .48 A/R, so it's going to spool a little quicker. That's probably the cause of the surge. I have a TO4E 60 trim in a bolt on housing and it doesn't surge at all. My buddy has an SCM61 and it doesn't surge.

GVR4592 said:
That's an SBR turbo and it most likely has the tiny .48 A/R, so it's going to spool a little quicker. That's probably the cause of the surge. I have a TO4E 60 trim in a bolt on housing and it doesn't surge at all. My buddy has an SCM61 and it doesn't surge.
After tlaking to my friend tonight who ran a gt40? with the E cover on a 2.4 and only noticed a surge every once in a while, he made me feel comfortable about the E cover espescially if I go with a .82 a/r housing. I guess the best way is going to be try it and see how it acts.

does anyone have any picture of the custom ported E cover.... how much the cost to get one?

636whp @33psi. 510whp uncorrected @ 5800ft. Turbo definitely has the P trim wheel. Bolt on housing.

Steven

damn! 636!!! was that awd or fwd? either way thats nice power...

ever take the car to the track...that sounds exactly the way I want to go..

when did you see full boost at?

any more details on the set up?

nikkeebabee said:

It wasn't 636, it was 510. There is no standard correction for altitude on a forced induction car, so the numbers are extremely inflated. He knows that, he just like to throw around the big numbers.

Correction factor was 1.24 I think that day. Numbers are inflated. All cars lose power up here. Forced induction loses as much as N/A here. I will argue that until the day I die. AWD and full boost was at 4100rpm according to AEM and the map sensor.

Steven

nikkeebabee said:

Like biglady mentioned, thats SAE corrected. You cannot look at corrected numbers on FI cars at his elevation. 510whp uncorrected sounds pretty much on par at his elevation. If you came down here near sealevel I think you'd be right around 545whp, which is pretty much right on par with most 61mm turbos, though that bolt on housing might become a restriction if it isn't already one. I have a bolt on housing too with a p-trim on my sc61, but it sure as hell wasn't made by precision. I'd assume precision would have to cut the housing to match the wheel right?

biglady112 said:
Numbers are inflated. All cars lose power up here. Forced induction loses as much as N/A here. I will argue that until the day I die.

Steven
I definitely don't want to get into a pissing match because 1) its off topic, 2) I'd rather do it in a post specifically concerning the subject, and 3) I'd rather discuss the sudject in a calm manner, though I just had to say that I can prove how NA cars lose more power than FI cars at 5000ft of elevation. All you have to do is look at the corrected numbers and the reason for them being inflated on FI cars at high elevation. A turbo car makes the same 20psi of boost at sealevel as it does at 5000ft of elevation, but it just has to spin a little faster to do so because of the air density, which means its efficiency drops. The reason the corrected numbers are so much higher at high elevation than at sealevel is because the drop in compressor efficiency is much less than the difference between the corrected and uncorrected values. Yes both NA and FI cars lose power at high elevation but FI cars don't lose nearly as much.

biglady112 said:
636whp @33psi. 510whp uncorrected @ 5800ft. Turbo definitely has the P trim wheel. Bolt on housing.

Steven

How or where did you get a p-trim wheel in a bolt on housing?
thanks for the help, this is the turbo i want to buy, so I am just trying to find the best one.

1SloColt said:
I definitely don't want to get into a pissing match because 1) its off topic, 2) I'd rather do it in a post specifically concerning the subject, and 3) I'd rather discuss the sudject in a calm manner, though I just had to say that I can prove how NA cars lose more power than FI cars at 5000ft of elevation. All you have to do is look at the corrected numbers and the reason for them being inflated on FI cars at high elevation. A turbo car makes the same 20psi of boost at sealevel as it does at 5000ft of elevation, but it just has to spin a little faster to do so because of the air density, which means its efficiency drops. The reason the corrected numbers are so much higher at high elevation than at sealevel is because the drop in compressor efficiency is much less than the difference between the corrected and uncorrected values. Yes both NA and FI cars lose power at high elevation but FI cars don't lose nearly as much.

He knows all of that, it's been explained to him dozens of times, he just like to claim big numbers.

I've been surprised at the power my SCM6152e has put down at 20 lbs of boost, which is not even close to it's efficiency range. I've trapped 112mph (or maybe it was 115, I don't remember) at 5900 ft. I have no doubt it can trap 130 with the boost turned up 5-7 more lbs with higher octane (especially at lower elevation). As Steven stated, a friend of ours up here has done pretty good with this turbo as well. No surge problems to my knowledge.

Ludachris said:
I've been surprised at the power my SCM6152e has put down at 20 lbs of boost, which is not even close to it's efficiency range. I've trapped 112mph (or maybe it was 115, I don't remember) at 5900 ft. I have no doubt it can trap 130 with the boost turned up 5-7 more lbs with higher octane (especially at lower elevation). As Steven stated, a friend of ours up here has done pretty good with this turbo as well. No surge problems to my knowledge.

well there it is. the god of DSMtuners.com has spoken. :cool:

Well, my surge issues are rather severe, which I know may only speak for a minority, but is still worth noting. Personally, I don't want any surge. Surge "every now and then" or "a little bit" is way too much for me.

Perhaps it's my setup though, who knows. I'll post the ported E cover when it's here.

Our friends turbo is now on my Mirage. NO SURGING what so ever.

Chris trapped 115.76 to be exact. Just for the record. Just gingerly driving the car on pump gas, 20psi and 5800ft. Chris' car is fast. Too bad he wants a smaller turbo.

Steven

im curious to see some times for this turbo where someone ran race gas and cranked the boost...

I have yet to hear anything amazing, besides the huge dyno number....

Anyone actually running some serious boost that has hit the track?

nikkeebabee said:
im curious to see some times for this turbo where someone ran race gas and cranked the boost...

I have yet to hear anything amazing, besides the huge dyno number....

Anyone actually running some serious boost that has hit the track?
I ran 11.4 at 126mph at 30psi on a stock 7bolt. Next time I plan to run 34psi and launch harder.

126 is a decent trap on a stcok motor especially a 7 bolt....Also what cover are you running? e? s? sp? any surge issues?

I like to hear more about that red full weight 2g pulling 130 plus...

After reading about the guy running 130 traps on a stock 6 bolt on a pte internally gated 50 trim I think this turbo should be able to make some decent power...

nikkeebabee said:
126 is a decent trap on a stcok motor especially a 7 bolt....Also what cover are you running? e? s? sp? any surge issues?

I like to hear more about that red full weight 2g pulling 130 plus...

After reading about the guy running 130 traps on a stock 6 bolt on a pte internally gated 50 trim I think this turbo should be able to make some decent power...
E cover with no surge issues at all.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back