The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

SCM-6152E opinions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

91-gsx

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
San Jose, California
i was wondering if this is a capable turbo? they say it flows enough for 630hp, so i would like to see what type of numbers some of you are making on it. what psi you run, when you hit full boost, how much power your making, or lbs/min you are flowing? i was thinking of going to a full garret setup, but this sounds like a good turbo to make up for the bolt on housing because of the stage 5 turbine wheel when it comes to top end power.
thanks for the help
http://www.slowboyracing.com/more.php?id=2211&

You can get this turbo at Dejon Powerhouse right now for $749, plus you get the "S" compressor housing that adds another 50 ponies to get yourself a 680 hp turbo. I myself just bought one brand new from a friend for $500 Canadian. (I have the story behind that in a thread in the newbie section under "opinions on this beast") Apparently it's great turbo and me being FWD am really looking forward to roasting some tread:rocks:

I started another thread about the gt3561 because that is a way better deal on dejon tool's website.

prostreetdsmx1, are you talking about the scm-6152e making over 600hp? If so, then the gt3561 is supposed to spool even faster and create a bit more hp, on top of that it is cheaper... seems to be what i have been looking for.

Anybody on here with some dyno charts of the gt3561 on pump gas because that is what i will always run. im sure though that i will get a lot more power out of this turbo with water injecton as well.
thanks for the help

The 3561 and the sc61 are practically the same, just different turbine wheels. The gt35 flowing better. They both utilize the 61mm compressor which is a fantastic wheel. I haven't seen or heard of any scm61s making over 550whp, but thats not to say it can't be done. That turbine housing is probably a pretty good restriction over 550whp. gt35s however routinely make over 600whp in the ballbearing version using larger turbine housings. I really like my sc61, though I have a completely different turbine wheel than what you get with the scm61. And I definitely would not consider it big by any means, its a street turbo.

1SloColt said:
The 3561 and the sc61 are practically the same, just different turbine wheels. The gt35 flowing better. They both utilize the 61mm compressor which is a fantastic wheel. I haven't seen or heard of any scm61s making over 550whp, but thats not to say it can't be done. That turbine housing is probably a pretty good restriction over 550whp. gt35s however routinely make over 600whp in the ballbearing version using larger turbine housings. I really like my sc61, though I have a completely different turbine wheel than what you get with the scm61. And I definitely would not consider it big by any means, its a street turbo.

Is yours run internally gated? I already have a tubular o2 housing and manifold, I would much rather buy the gt3561 with the bolt on internally gated turbine housing. Now do you think that this housing is good for up to 500whp? If it is good for that much power, then i will buy the bolt on housing. Dejon tool does offer it with a 5 bolt for turbine housing, but i do not know anything about that turbine housing, what it flows or anything. Maybe it flows just as much as the bolt on mitsu housing.... Have any info on it?
thanks for the help

91-gsx said:
Is yours run internally gated? I already have a tubular o2 housing and manifold, I would much rather buy the gt3561 with the bolt on internally gated turbine housing. Now do you think that this housing is good for up to 500whp? If it is good for that much power, then i will buy the bolt on housing. Dejon tool does offer it with a 5 bolt for turbine housing, but i do not know anything about that turbine housing, what it flows or anything. Maybe it flows just as much as the bolt on mitsu housing.... Have any info on it?
thanks for the help
My turbo is externally gated. What is the size of that internal gate? If its large enough it would work ok most likely. I was unaware that Dejon made a turbine housing. The mitsu housing is good enough for 500whp no problem.

You'll have a hard time making 500 hp on a scm61 or 3561 internal gated turbo. You won't be able to hold more then 25 psi with a internal gate unless you wire it shut. One of my good buddies used the same turbo with a internal gate and couldn't get it to hold more then 25 psi. So he went external. Go external and you might be able to creep on 500 hp with that turbo running 30+psi. I went to the dyno this weekend with the same buddy and he dynoed 411hp at 30 psi with the scm61. It was also on a tune done by a 700hp local Honda guy who routeinly tunes dsm's. This was also on a mustang dyno which are conservitive and at 4500 ft elevation. It's a great turbo for a hybrid. I would definetly go with the 35 turbine wheel.
However, you mentioned going gt35r. That would obviously be the best choice if you want to deal with all the custum fabing that will come along with it. Same day same dyno as my buddy you can see my profile and what my gt35r did. This was on pump gas and a very conservative tune. 424 hp. Once I get my methenol working properly I can possibly see myself pushing 470 hp on pump/methenol injection with the 35r at around 27-28 psi.

I didn't know that the internal gate would only be able to hold 25psi. I'd definitely recommend an external gate over an internal BTW just for consistency. 411whp at 30psi with an scm61 would probably be about right considering the dyno/elevation. The guy that tunes most of the AEMs in this area made 610whp at 32psi on a 35r with pump gas and meth on a 2.0L, so I don't see why you shouldn't be able to make the power you want at 28psi, just too easy to make power on methanol.

We are one of Martin's customers who made 600+awhp. On the regular SCM6152 we made 590whp. On the SCM6176 ballbearing we made 636whp. This was on a dynojet. This turbo is very nice. Now being run on my mirage.

Full boost on 3 different 2.0L's ranged from 4100rpm(BB)-4300rpm.

Steven

zross1 said:
You'll have a hard time making 500 hp on a scm61 or 3561 internal gated turbo. You won't be able to hold more then 25 psi with a internal gate unless you wire it shut. One of my good buddies used the same turbo with a internal gate and couldn't get it to hold more then 25 psi. So he went external. Go external and you might be able to creep on 500 hp with that turbo running 30+psi. I went to the dyno this weekend with the same buddy and he dynoed 411hp at 30 psi with the scm61. It was also on a tune done by a 700hp local Honda guy who routeinly tunes dsm's. This was also on a mustang dyno which are conservitive and at 4500 ft elevation. It's a great turbo for a hybrid. I would definetly go with the 35 turbine wheel.
However, you mentioned going gt35r. That would obviously be the best choice if you want to deal with all the custum fabing that will come along with it. Same day same dyno as my buddy you can see my profile and what my gt35r did. This was on pump gas and a very conservative tune. 424 hp. Once I get my methenol working properly I can possibly see myself pushing 470 hp on pump/methenol injection with the 35r at around 27-28 psi.

Only 411hp at 30psi... i guess elevation puts a very big damper on horepower. There is a guy on this site that dynoed 403whp at 22psi and pump gas.
http://dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135728&highlight=gt3561

He uses a t3 turbine housing, but at 22psi I am sure the pte turbine housing should not be a restriction at all. The only difference between the gt35r and the gt3561 is that the gt35r has a .82 a/r turbine housing and ball bearing. While the gt3561 has a .63 a/r turbine housing and jounal bearing. The bigger turbine housing is were the gt35r is making the extra hp, not the ball bearings. If you were to run the gt3561 with a .82 a/r turbine housing, then you should be able to make just as much power as the gt35r. I wonder what a gt3561 with a .82 a/r turbine housing would spool at? Should only be about 300-500rpms more then the .63 a/r turbine housing.

I want to make about the same hp as the guy above on pump gas, do you think the mitsu turbine housing will hold me back from doing it at about the same boost level?
thanks for the help

edit: By the way, does anybody know what the a/r is of the t3 5 bolt ford turbine housing that dejon tool offers with the gt3561 instead of a mitsu housing?

Well, elevation does put a big damper on hp at our elevation. This was also done uncorrected on a mustang dyno. Put us on a dynojet and the numbers would be much more higher in our favor. I'm pretty sure there is a dynojet in the valley. If I can find one I'll post the results on the same tune/boost.

1SloColt said:
What wheel are you running?

Aslo does anyone have some times for this turbo? I have one waiting to go on but I kinda wanna see what it will lay down at the track.

biglady112 said:
We are one of Martin's customers who made 600+awhp. On the regular SCM6152 we made 590whp. On the SCM6176 ballbearing we made 636whp. This was on a dynojet. This turbo is very nice. Now being run on my mirage.

Full boost on 3 different 2.0L's ranged from 4100rpm(BB)-4300rpm.

Steven

yo Steve! How the hell are you?

wishihadatalon said:
What wheel are you running?

Aslo does anyone have some times for this turbo? I have one waiting to go on but I kinda wanna see what it will lay down at the track.
P trim. Plenty of guys have times for this turbo. 11s and 10s are the norm.

I am great Martin. We had a fuel failure at the shootout that we are rebuilding the motor right now. We now run a GT42 on the car. The SCM61 is on my new Mirage Turbo. Car is absolutely insane. Still trying to get the car legal. But in the next few weeks look for near 4 digit horsepower numbers from us.

636whp was made at 33psi guys. Made 590 at 31psi on a conservative tune.

Steven

biglady112 said:
I am great Martin. We had a fuel failure at the shootout that we are rebuilding the motor right now. We now run a GT42 on the car. The SCM61 is on my new Mirage Turbo. Car is absolutely insane. Still trying to get the car legal. But in the next few weeks look for near 4 digit horsepower numbers from us.

636whp was made at 33psi guys. Made 590 at 31psi on a conservative tune.

Steven

590whp was made on which turbo? I'm sorry it is not clear to me what turbo you are talking about. What turbine wheel are you using along with this turbo?

Would the P-trim wheel you guys are talking about make more or less horsepower then the turbine wheel that comes on the gt3561?
later

Scm61 is a good turbo for making power. I just ran a 11.4 at 126mph at 30psi with my internal gate scm61 with a stock 7 bolt.

tsiawd1995 said:
Scm61 is a good turbo for making power. I just ran a 11.4 at 126mph at 30psi with my internal gate scm61 with a stock 7 bolt.

You ran that time on an internally gated mitsu housing? If so, that sheds new light to the situation. I want to get the mitsu housing because i already have everything to just bolt it up, but i keep hearing about how the t3 housing adds more power. I think I might just go ahead and get a scm6152 with the mitsu bolt on housing.
thanks for the help

91-gsx said:
You ran that time on an internally gated mitsu housing? If so, that sheds new light to the situation. I want to get the mitsu housing because i already have everything to just bolt it up, but i keep hearing about how the t3 housing adds more power. I think I might just go ahead and get a scm6152 with the mitsu bolt on housing.
thanks for the help
Yes a run of the mill internal gate scm61 at 30psi. The internal gate has worked great for me. The 11.4 at 126mph at 30psi was a shake down pass next time I plan to run 34psi and launch alot harder.

tsiawd1995 said:
Yes a run of the mill internal gate scm61 at 30psi. The internal gate has worked great for me. The 11.4 at 126mph at 30psi was a shake down pass next time I plan to run 34psi and launch alot harder.

All really good to hear. If you dont mind me asking, what was the a/f ratio, and timing at? Was it a very aggressive tune? Great time by the way.
later

Check my profile - I'm using an SCM6152e, internally gated and put down 400+whp (corrected) with 91 octane at 21 lbs of boost. The turbo isn't really even in its efficient range at that boost level. I just wanted to see where I was at on pump gas and get it dialed in a little bit. I hit full boost between 4100-4200 rpm. This is at 5900 feet above see level.

The turbo might actually be a little too much for what I want to do. But I think it would be great for the straight line guys. It's quite capable.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back