The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

SCM-6152E opinions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

91-gsx said:
All really good to hear. If you dont mind me asking, what was the a/f ratio, and timing at? Was it a very aggressive tune? Great time by the way.
later
12:4-12:5 a/f on 116 gas and should have been around 23deg of timing.

Ludachris said:
Check my profile - I'm using an SCM6152e, internally gated and put down 400+whp (corrected) with 91 octane at 21 lbs of boost. The turbo isn't really even in its efficient range at that boost level. I just wanted to see where I was at on pump gas and get it dialed in a little bit. I hit full boost between 4100-4200 rpm. This is at 5900 feet above see level.

The turbo might actually be a little too much for what I want to do. But I think it would be great for the straight line guys. It's quite capable.
So do you feel that this spools to slow for a road course? I wanna hit the local course next year with it. Same course that Car and Driver usese which is pretty big.

91-gsx said:
Would the P-trim wheel you guys are talking about make more or less horsepower then the turbine wheel that comes on the gt3561?
later
The p trim is an oldschool wheel that does its job well, but the gt35 turbine outflows it, so it should make more power, but I haven't seen any back to back comparison between the two on the same compressor wheel, so its kinda tough to say how much the difference will be.

So do you feel that this spools to slow for a road course? I wanna hit the local course next year with it. Same course that Car and Driver usese which is pretty big.
Well on the road course, the sooner the spool the better. You don't want to wait until 4k to hit full boost, as that kills your momentum coming out of corners. And though this turbo isn't really bad with spool in general, it certainly doesn't reach 20 lbs as fast as I'd like it to. Not only that, but I tend to use 91 octane when I go to the road course simply because 100-104 octane can get quite expensive when you're doing a full day at the track. And on 91 octane I can only crank the boost up to 20-21 lbs without seeing knock, and I usually back it down to 18-19 when I go to the road course. The SCM6152 isn't really very efficient at those levels. I'm thinking I might find something that will be a little more efficient in that range, has better spool, and something that will still make good power. I'm still going to try and do some tweaking to see if I can make it more friendly on the road course, but if I can't get it done I'll be looking for an alternative late next year. I'll play with tuning and water injection and see how much that helps.

I'm not the type that will throw in C-16 all the time and crank up the boost to try and run super fast 1/4 mile times and put down big dyno numbers. If I was, this turbo would be great for that. My problem is I got caught up in the hype of putting down big numbers, and since I was rebuilding the motor as a 2.3L I just figured the extra displacement would make up for the lag. I should have been more realistic about what the car was going to be used for when selecting the turbo.

Ludachris said:
Well on the road course, the sooner the spool the better. You don't want to wait until 4k to hit full boost, as that kills your momentum coming out of corners. And though this turbo isn't really bad with spool in general, it certainly doesn't reach 20 lbs as fast as I'd like it to. Not only that, but I tend to use 91 octane when I go to the road course simply because 100-104 octane can get quite expensive when you're doing a full day at the track. And on 91 octane I can only crank the boost up to 20-21 lbs without seeing knock, and I usually back it down to 18-19 when I go to the road course. The SCM6152 isn't really very efficient at those levels. I'm thinking I might find something that will be a little more efficient in that range, has better spool, and something that will still make good power. I'm still going to try and do some tweaking to see if I can make it more friendly on the road course, but if I can't get it done I'll be looking for an alternative late next year. I'll play with tuning and water injection and see how much that helps.

I'm not the type that will throw in C-16 all the time and crank up the boost to try and run super fast 1/4 mile times and put down big dyno numbers. If I was, this turbo would be great for that. My problem is I got caught up in the hype of putting down big numbers, and since I was rebuilding the motor as a 2.3L I just figured the extra displacement would make up for the lag. I should have been more realistic about what the car was going to be used for when selecting the turbo.
I completely understand. My car will only see driving instructor days maybe 2 times a year on a fairly big course so hopefully I can just keep the car where it wants to be in the rev range and learn where the turbo starts to spool for corner exit. I will probably run 110 octane at the track just to be safe as I would assume my under hood temps will rise way to high for my liking.

Thanks for the info.

91-gsx said:
You ran that time on an internally gated mitsu housing? If so, that sheds new light to the situation. I want to get the mitsu housing because i already have everything to just bolt it up, but i keep hearing about how the t3 housing adds more power. I think I might just go ahead and get a scm6152 with the mitsu bolt on housing.
thanks for the help

I gained 3lb/min from switching from a bolt on int gate 6152 to a .68 t4 p-trim hotside. Thats a huge difference at the same boost level(21-22psi). No one says you won't make power with the bolt on stuff. It's just that your leaving that much more on the table by not getting a garrett hotside.

Chris' car is only slow because he is a loser. We are looking into a small FP Green for his car. It is just not responsive enough for the course Chris runs on. A green has been proven at our altitude to make 350whp uncorrected and 460+ corrected. The simple fact is the SCM61 is slow to respond all around the board. Yea we saw 30psi at 4100rpm with the ball bearing turbo and 4300 with the non ball bearing turbo. 61mm compressor P trim exhuast wheel.

Steven

biglady112 said:
Yea we saw 30psi at 4100rpm with the ball bearing turbo and 4300 with the non ball bearing turbo. 61mm compressor P trim exhuast wheel.Steven

WTF OMG That's totally nuts! Stroker or 2.0? I live down in Albuquerque, at around 5400ft, so altitude is playing a huge role in my decision. But if those figures are accurate (which I don't doubt), that turbo would be spooling faster than my current Evo III set up! Oh man, tell me more!

2.0L. We have another Evo III car making full boost at 2800rpm. Bone stock 2.0L. Things just have to be set up right and tuned well. We live in Denver so we tune and race at 5800ft. All above numbers are reported back from MAP sensors. The SCM61 would make 5psi at 3300rpm.

Steven

5psi at 3300rpm and 30psi at 4100rpm... That's super quick. I guess that's just the ball bearings... Sweet. I'll definitely be looking at this turbo when it comes around to upgrading (won't be for at least 6 months, if not a year). You opened my eyes to this beast!

biglady112 said:
Chris' car is only slow because he is a loser. We are looking into a small FP Green for his car. It is just not responsive enough for the course Chris runs on. A green has been proven at our altitude to make 350whp uncorrected and 460+ corrected. The simple fact is the SCM61 is slow to respond all around the board. Yea we saw 30psi at 4100rpm with the ball bearing turbo and 4300 with the non ball bearing turbo. 61mm compressor P trim exhuast wheel.

Steven

Do you have any datalogs you could share? I'm thinking about picking up either the SCM61 or a GT3561 next week. I've already seen a bunch of 3561 logs, but I can't seem to find any SCM61 logs.

They are AEM Cal. files. A friend has them on his computer as we use his to tune with.

Steven

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back