The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

reused felpro HG

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenuwine4g63

10+ Year Contributor
May 26, 2009
Charlotte, North_Carolina
Alright quick question, car has not started for a long time due to head replacement. I bought a felpro headgasket, i have had it torqued down 3 times. The first time the car jumped time and bent valves. I didnt drive it this was on a rev when i put the car back together(didnt tighten the tensioner pulley bolt)...Ok i reused it after i built another head..car wont crank, I bought another head and had it at the machine shop and everything redone(Everything)..SAME gasket, car dosnt crank...replaced everthing on the car that could cause it not to crank and still no crank. car now has ARP's but still wont crank...Did a compression test and came back with 60-50-50-50 4-3-2-1. Theres my problem, none of the pistons were cracked at all, could reusing this gasket cause this...

How many miles are on your block, I just want to know.

Like 180k

Ok, to start with, yes get a new gasket. How did you do a compression test if the car doesn't crank? Your current issue sounds like the timing is off.

Thats wut i was sayn. I know the engine has to be at operating temperature...And no sir, the Timing is dead on..You cant beat it its perfect not even a tooth off.

Do not reuse your head gasket but your problem of not cranking or starting is not there

But what about those low compression numbers, that could cause my car not to start too. Thats the only other thing that is not new is the headgasket, if you start naming things i promise u everything you name will be new that i had replaced

And it cranks and wants to start it just dosnt. It just turns over and over and puts

I don't see what eveybody is getting at here. Your saying by reusing the same gasket will cause you to loose compression and on all four cylinders? :confused:

For the record I have seen people reuse headgaskets over and over pushin huge power though I wouldn't recommend it. These were MLS gaskets. If there was a sealing issue , the arp's if torqued correctly would help a lot. I just don't get it. The headgasket would have to be toast, and I mean toast.

I don't see what eveybody is getting at here. Your saying by reusing the same gasket will cause you to loose compression and on all four cylinders? :confused:

For the record I have seen people reuse headgaskets over and over pushin huge power though I wouldn't recommend it. These were MLS gaskets. If there was a sealing issue , the arp's if torqued correctly would help a lot. I just don't get it. The headgasket would have to be toast, and I mean toast.

This is why I made post # 13, the OP said it has not been started in a long time. Check the basics first.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-miscellaneous/217951-how-diagnose-no-start.html

I would still put a brand new head gasket on, just to be safe. :thumb:

Yes you have seen people use mls headgaskets over and over but not felpro over and over..Its not the same type of gasket by far..I have had this felpro torqued down 3 times with 2 different heads, it has to be the HG

This is why I made post # 13, the OP said it has not been started in a long time. Check the basics first.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-miscellaneous/217951-how-diagnose-no-start.html

I would still put a brand new head gasket on, just to be safe. :thumb:

This is no help for me i have done that about 6 times and still no start. NEW headgasket is purchased will be putting it on after church....

^ are you saying your fel pro was not a metal gasket?

if you dont want to pull ## head 6 times, do things right the 1st time.. replace the HG and your head bolts..Make sure you follow the seqence. And im not sure if you had your head checked when it was off, but i would make sure its still flat and all the hardware is good to go. Keep in mind if the heads been decked, timing will change, but not enuf to cause a no start..

if its 95/96, dont forget to shave the back driver side head bolt down.. do a search, youll see from factory the block isnt bored correctly, and can cause pre mature HG failure..

^ are you saying your fel pro was not a metal gasket?

if you dont want to pull ## head 6 times, do things right the 1st time.. replace the HG and your head bolts..Make sure you follow the seqence. And im not sure if you had your head checked when it was off, but i would make sure its still flat and all the hardware is good to go. Keep in mind if the heads been decked, timing will change, but not enuf to cause a no start..

if its 95/96, dont forget to shave the back driver side head bolt down.. do a search, youll see from factory the block isnt bored correctly, and can cause pre mature HG failure..

Yea the head has been re-surfaced. Its flat as the salt flats. And everything on it is in perfect working condition. The felpro gasket is more of a softer material, not like the mls gasket. I did notice when i installed it it had an outline where the head has been on it and it was compressed. I tried to compensate for it by torqueing it down a few more pounds. Im using ARPs, i have studs no head bolts.

OP - Why not just do a leak-down test and find out for sure?

Never ever seen this. Thanks i will definetly have to try this(after i get paid)

Keep your misinformation to yourself... We deal in facts here and you can NOT reuse this headgasket.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back