The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Do I need to have my head resurfaced for felpro hg?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakelandry

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 13, 2009
Minden, Louisiana
I'm sorry if this has been answered already. I've searched several threads and everyone says that when you get a mls head gasket you have to have your head resurfaced to ensure a good seal. Since I'm going to be installing an evo 3 16g soon I figured while I was at it I would install a new head gasket and some standard arp's so I could run 25-30 psi and not be worried. Well after researching I decided a felpro composite would be fine. Well I went to advanced auto parts and picked up what I thought to be a standard ,cheap felpro gasket but the front of the package says permatorque on it. It was only 35 dollars so I assumed it would be a composite.. If it is a permatorque do I need to have the head resurfaced? The reason I don't want to have the head resurfaced is cause this is my dd and I need the hg and turbo job to be a weekend thing. Is 35 dollars even the price for a permatorque? Thanks for your time.

I got the same one from autozone from felpro you don't need to resurface your head but I do recommend getting some brake cleaner and a razor blade to take off most of the residue the HG will seal just fine if you do everything else right and tourque it down.

Armin

The 35 dollar one is a permatorque composite gasket. If your head isn't warped and doesn't have any big flaws in the surface it will seal just fine. Be sure that you have the surfaces cleaned well before installing.

Should you : Yes
Will it work without it : Yes

Now if you have a huge warp with your head to the point that it looks like a horse shoe....you'll likely need a few HG's to fix a gap like that.

Yea it would be good to drop the head off at the machine shop to atleast have it checked if its warped or not and if so have it resurfaced. Its pretty cheap, my shop charged me 45 to clean the head/resurface it with the cams, rockers and lifters out of it. But no its not necessary to resurface it to run composite but its good to do.

Also felpro uses the permatq brand on all of its HGs.

Ok well thank you everyone. I wish I could get it resurfaced but there's no way being as this is my dd. I have no problems out of it as it is, so maybe ill be good to just slap one on and go.

The 35 dollar one is a permatorque composite gasket. If your head isn't warped and doesn't have any big flaws in the surface it will seal just fine. Be sure that you have the surfaces cleaned well before installing.

The Permatorque is a) not a composite gasket, and b) not anywhere in the neighborhood of $35. Fel-Pro PermaTorque MLS Head Gasket for Mitsubishi 4G63 90-99 [1153-1] - $219.00 : Jay Racing

The regular Fel-Pro composite gasket is what I believe you are referring to.

OP, here's a good article you might want to read: http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-engine-fuel/341627-how-check-head-warp.html

LOL... I do not get to post my own links any more!!
Thanks for passing the info on! DSMReviver and 19Eclipse90

OP you may also want to do....
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/341028-4g63t-head-oil-port-mod.html

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/cyl...how-measure-4g63-cylinder-head-thickness.html

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/new...face-4g63t-cylinder-head-mls-head-gasket.html
I know you are wanting to run the Fel-pro HG, but the surface should look about the same.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/cyl...0613-why-not-let-your-head-belt-surfaced.html

The Permatorque is a) not a composite gasket, and b) not anywhere in the neighborhood of $35.

Just so you know since you're incorrect, the Felpro composite headgaskets sold at local Auto parts stores for roughly $35 does have Permatorque written on them. Ask me how do I know. Not to be confused with the expensive Permatorque MLS ones though.

Just so you know since you're incorrect, the Felpro composite headgaskets sold at local Auto parts stores for roughly $35 does have Permatorque written on them. Ask me how do I know. Not to be confused with the expensive Permatorque MLS ones though.

In Brian's defense (and my own as well as others), the top of the line Fel-Pro Permatorque MLS gasket is commonly referred to on many forums and vendor sites simply as "the Permatorque head gasket"...which admittedly causes some confusion.

With that said, there is a HUGE difference between the standard $35 Fel-Pro composite head gasket (whether it says "PermaTorque" on it or not), and the $200+ Fel-Pro PermaTorque MLS head gasket.

Thanks for the clarification. ;)

In Brian's defense (and my own as well as others), the top of the line Fel-Pro Permatorque MLS gasket is commonly referred to on many forums and vendor sites simply as "the Permatorque head gasket"...which admittedly causes some confusion.

With that said, there is a HUGE difference between the standard $35 Fel-Pro composite head gasket (whether it says "PermaTorque" on it or not), and the $200+ Fel-Pro PermaTorque MLS head gasket.

Thanks for the clarification. ;)

LOL I completely understand.

Fancy that.

Well, been wrong before, and this won't be the last time. Thanks for the "call-out". Will keep me sharp in the future. :)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back