The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

[RESOLVED] is my new evo 16g a fake? WTF

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

costas14

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
quincy, Massachusetts
is this a fake, i paid 350 bucks for it locally and im gonna be really mad with this kid, and good thing i know where he lives, though frankie(the bunny in the photo is very curious with it) shes currently trying to get the plastic cover off the turbo

sorry camera phone pictures, frankie destroyed my nikon d40

it has a little plate that says this

Turbocharger
type dsm-evoIII
PARTNO : TD05
SERIAL NO: EMO707081

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

great im gonna go get my money back now

It's a knock off.

-Turbos usually don't have "turbocharger" written on them, nor would a real evoIII turbo say anything DSM on it
-The material finish on the compressor cover
-TD05(H) isn't a PN
-And the most obvious thing is it has an adjustable arm on the WGA; its also straight instead of curved at the end

With that being said, it could last for quite a while, although 350 is a bit much especially if it was played off as a real one :notgood:

A real one would have "47" stamped in between the serial number

na i just called the kid, i purchased some other crap from his engine bay like timing cover etc, im gonna go by his house this week and hes gonan give me my money back, supposedly he got it from someone that works at t3 motorsport in boston and he paid 600 for it last year, who knows, i just want my 350 back for it so i can fix up my car some more, shouldnt have rushed to get a bigger turbo

LOL oh well im getting my money back tonight, im just gonna keep the stock turbo and put a front mount and update the turbo next summer

The ebay 16g turbine wheels are smaller than the real td05h 16g/14b turbine wheels. I have a blown one on my porch and SEVERAL others have confirmed this.

Why does a smaller turbine spool later :) . . .

Not ALL eBay 16G's have the smaller turbine, m-onster.

I've used more than one eBay 16G turbine housing on MHI TD05H turbos. I've actually never run into one that hasn't fit yet.

But to answer your question of why it would spool later, it would HAVE to be the fault of the compressor wheel. I weighed a MHI Big 16G compressor wheel, a MHI Evo III 16G compressor wheel, and a eBay "Evo III" compressor wheel on our paint scale at work....the eBay "Evo III" had the heaviest compressor of the three.

thanx, Justin. . . So is it a hit or miss with the right turbine wheel size? Come to think of it, I remember talking with you and another and we came to the conclusion that the older ebay 16g turbos had the smaller wheel

Yet another rip off. Here's a pic of my very authentic evo 3 16g. Guess there's no point fixing the seals or the actuator arm (boosts 20+psi with wg to J-pipe vac line)

Attachments

• img034.jpg
    img034.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 494
^^^So you put an ebay adjustable wastegate actuator on your real 16g? Did you run the ebay turbine housing (for the extended actuator arm), or did you do custom work to make that straight arm fit on a turbine housing that needs an offset arm.

^^^So you put an ebay adjustable wastegate actuator on your real 16g? Did you run the ebay turbine housing (for the extended actuator arm), or did you do custom work to make that straight arm fit on a turbine housing that needs an offset arm.

I did none of that. That's the turbo that came on the car I bought. I was being sarcastic about the whole authentic thing.

Even though it's a pos turbo it still holds boost. Turns out the hard intake pipe was pinching the vac line. Bent the nipple a little and now we're back to 10 psi. Yippee.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back