The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Rear end swaying.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaytonDsm

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 19, 2011
Kettering, Ohio
Well, I was on my way to work about a week ago and I heard a pop in my rear. Well I drove it home and parked it. On my way home the rear tire was moving outward then inward vice virsa, also it feels like when I turn left the rear wheels are turned right and when I turn right it feels like the rear wheels are turned left. Also on one side the rear right tire is pushed inward like a 1 inch gap between the tire and fender. On the rear left side the tire it's prefectly lined up with the fender. Also it's real easy to push the rear around from left to right. Any opinions?

Jack it up and take a look at the sub frame bushings. Apparently something broke loose, hopefully not from something rusting out. Shouldn't be too difficult to find out the problem.

Okay will do, their is no rust on the car at all, so It could be a bushing.

does anyone have any idea where the bushings are that I need to change, maybe I can get a picture it's a fwd and not a awd. ?

In and out easily spells a wheel bearing let go. Unfortunately, they're pressed into the rotor where a rotor replacement is necessary.

Grab the top of the tire and give a "heave-ho" shake back and forth to make sure. It also could be that rear crossmember that goes between the two struts could have let go as well.

I checked the bearings, they are good no wobbling in the tires on either side. I believe it is my rear crossmember (subframe) but I need to know where the bushings are before I actually decide to do this one day soon. So pics are welcomed or advice :)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back