The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Random loss of power (Shut down)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Junky DSM

Probationary Member
Mar 27, 2018
Marianna, Florida
My 97 will at random lose power, some days I can drive all day fine and other days like yesterday it died about 10x just trying to get home. I can be in the middle of a shift or just coming to a stop or a slow turn and everything cuts off. It's not stalling out but it's almost like there's a short or a temporary disconnection somewhere. Can't figure it out. Attached is the extra ground and the car itself.

Attachments

• IMG_20180327_112443240.jpg
    IMG_20180327_112443240.jpg
    534.5 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20180327_110156700.jpg
    IMG_20180327_110156700.jpg
    326.8 KB · Views: 53
Well is your ground bolted down? Or is it just sitting loose like that? A poor ground connection like that could cause all of your issues.

Should check all connectors. When I had a similar issue before, the issue was the connector of igniter. It didn't have a clip to hold the connector and was floating a little bit. So it happened more often when the car had more vibrations from the road.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I've crossed out a poor connection as the issue. Next I'm going to replace the fuel filter and see if that helps and then maybe the pump if the issue persists. It's almost acting like it's out of gas when I try to start it back up. So I'll replace those two and see how it runs. Thanks all! Any other suggestions would be appreciated!

Well is your ground bolted down? Or is it just sitting loose like that? A poor ground connection like that could cause all of your issues.
I completely disconnected the ground as it was running and ruled that out as the issue, i guess it was the poor angle of the picture but there is a connector on that piece of the battery line that is an attached ground and not just a loose piece of exposed wire touching LOL.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back