The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G Random shut down..

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inkdlyfe

Proven Member
Feb 23, 2016
Summer feild, Florida
Recently the eclipse been acting alot it would run just fine then randomly shut off and not start back up I let it sit and bam it fired up just fine. After running for a few it turns back off like u turbt they key back. Does this completely randomly. No warning nothing just shuts off. I figured internal damage but the test came back 90 psi highest 93 psi every cylinder. Thats what it always came back as . One time out of 4 tests number 3 came back at 150 but thats all. I did 10 rotations per cylinder 4x each. All tests was done on a cold engine with tb shut. I let the car sit for a day and I just said ok leta start it up and bam. Started up just fine no issues afr is reading 13.0 but its running and reves just fine. People told me my motor is done for. Whats the input

Check to see if fuel pressure stays there in the rail. Maybe the fpr is intermittent, fuel filter clogged, or fp is going out. Lack of fuel is a common stop out of the blue condition. Compression test needs to be done with engine warm and throttle wide open (coil disconnected to prevent ignition).

So what are the steps to be taken ? People are telling me to rebuild the motor but I honestly don't think I need to..

See all the responses so far are not as bad as the groups made this seem. So 90 across the comp test on a cold start isn't bad as they said ?

It sounds like something electrical as mentioned. Don’t listen to anything that comes out of the mouths of the people that told you the motor needs rebuild. I’ve had 120/90/90/90 compression numbers on a 4g which ran fine and never smoked.

Recently the eclipse been acting alot it would run just fine then randomly shut off and not start back up I let it sit and bam it fired up just fine. After running for a few it turns back off like u turbt they key back. Does this completely randomly. No warning nothing just shuts off. I figured internal damage but the test came back 90 psi highest 93 psi every cylinder. Thats what it always came back as . One time out of 4 tests number 3 came back at 150 but thats all. I did 10 rotations per cylinder 4x each. All tests was done on a cold engine with tb shut. I let the car sit for a day and I just said ok leta start it up and bam. Started up just fine no issues afr is reading 13.0 but its running and reves just fine. People told me my motor is done for. Whats the input
I would conduct a proper compression test also. Conduct the test warm. Open the throttle body. Crank it until the needle doesn't go up anymore. 10 is probably fine. You'll know when it's done. If you have the means follow it up with a leakdown test. If you truly have under 100psi or less you have problems

I figured it wasn't a internal damage considering I can go out there right now after sitting for a day and she fires right up. I was just trying to figure this out because this forum im in said oh your motor is done for. Or rebuild it. Or something along them lines.. but the matter that it starts up just fine and will idle no issue and have good AFR with no smoke says different. Just randomly no warning shuts off. Some times fires right back up other times wants to sit for a few mins then fire up. But will eventually fire up just fine. Someone stated some about the fuel. On the fpr on the end side of the rail is set to 45 psi and alittle over under throttle. So I know I'm getting good fuel pressure. I was also wondering maybe bad gas ?

I've changed my mind. It now sounds more like a device involved with the electrical ignition that is intermittent with temperature (like cas, cps, pt, coil, ecu). Not sure if you have all those on a turbo'd 420A.

Last edited:
Well no one can say for sure but I'm leaning that way. The fact that you can restart it after a period of time suggests something may be cooling down and that is usually electrical. Did you replace anything before this started? Poor quality brands of electrical items often fail with temperature. When it's cold and runs ok you can heat up suspect electrical items with a hair dryer to see if they fail or swap them with known good ones. You also might try wiggling wires while running to see effect in case you've got an intermittent connection. Does it quit only while driving or also when just sitting there idling?

Honestly nothing been changed. I was at the daytona beach truck meet probally playing a little too much beating on it pretty hard tbh. Broke 2 alt belts some how LOL.. but besides that nothing been changed. Before the meet it shut down 2 times before the meet but fired right back up didn't act up at all the whole 4 days not a single shut down but I noticed its really rough taking off in 1st but only 1st. It like shakes alot and the motor wants to jump bad but once it gets moving it dont shake no more. But I drove it 100 miles home from daytona not a single issue. Now I can't make it a mile w out it shutting down ..

Like it feels like your doing a burn out on hard topp that jump feeling. The wheel hop feel but going like 5mph i have to slowly disengage the clutch so it dont hop

But no nothing at all has been altered or changed at all since this problem happen other then spark plugs n wires gaped to .028

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a thought but perhaps the Power Transistor (PT), if you have one, or one of the 2 coils occasionally getting intermittent causing 2 cylinders to not fire? Heating it up usually will make it fail.

...I noticed its really rough taking off in 1st but only 1st. It like shakes alot and the motor wants to jump bad but once it gets moving it dont shake no more.
Bad motor mounts will make it shake but usually not cause it to shut off.

I have a single coil pack with 4 posts but it seems to be acting fine. I have another one here ill swap it with. Assuming that's what your meaning. The spark plugs I pulled out seemed frosty kinda besides the 4th cylinder had black build up on it that was pretty thick.

Bad motor mounts will make it shake but usually not cause it to shut off.
The werid thing is the mounts still are good :/ like the motor dont jump or move at all when u reve it up. Only when u move slights from a stand still the motor wants to jump but ONLY after a stand still and u move the car

The single coil pack is actually 2 coils, one for clys 1 & 4 and one for 2 & 3.
Correct i guess I worded that wrong LOL ..

BTW mind you the motor never even got hot when this all happens..

You need to do testing when it fails to see if it's ignition related. Like when it's failing, immediately pull a spark plug wire off, stick a long screwdriver (which you're carrying around with you) in the wire spark plug end with insulated gloves on, and hold the shank 1/4" from metal to see if you see spark jump there while a helper is cranking it. And wear dry shoes or rubbers. Try cyl 2 or 3 and then 1 or 4. Or if it runs but very badly, pull off one spark plug wire at a time while running to see effect.

Last edited:
When I had something like this happen to me many years ago, I was told that it could have been the crank position sensor and fuel filter,. Changed both that and it seemed to work for a few days but then the problem repeated itself after about two day later. The car would run fine, it would start ok, compression was good but then randomly (it doesn't matter if I'm on the highway or in stop and go traffic), the car would just shut down/die. Eventually I tracked it to one of the relays near the firewall / brake reservoir. Both of my cars have 3 of those relays, although I've seen one with only two relays. The problematic relay was the first one (leftmost) which I believe is the one connected to the fuel pump. It would just go bad without any warning. It was just a normal bosch style relay (but keyed). So after replacing that sometime around 2007, the symptoms never came back - until about 9 years later. Replaced the relay and the problem went away again. So now, I carry a spare relay all the time just in case. Hopefully your issue is as simple as this. Good luck !

When I had something like this happen to me many years ago, I was told that it could have been the crank position sensor and fuel filter,. Changed both that and it seemed to work for a few days but then the problem repeated itself after about two day later. The car would run fine, it would start ok, compression was good but then randomly (it doesn't matter if I'm on the highway or in stop and go traffic), the car would just shut down/die. Eventually I tracked it to one of the relays near the firewall / brake reservoir. Both of my cars have 3 of those relays, although I've seen one with only two relays. The problematic relay was the first one (leftmost) which I believe is the one connected to the fuel pump. It would just go bad without any warning. It was just a normal bosch style relay (but keyed). So after replacing that sometime around 2007, the symptoms never came back - until about 9 years later. Replaced the relay and the problem went away again. So now, I carry a spare relay all the time just in case. Hopefully your issue is as simple as this. Good luck !

Ditto.. I carry a spare fuel pump relay too. I've had 2 go bad on me.

My fuel pump is hard wired to a switch that I can hear still running constantly even when car is off.. I was running e85 for the longest and had to run some serious cleaner through my system to clear it up it almost became the death of my pump.. I would put money on it that mt fuel filter may be the issue. BUT also as you said the 3 relays your talking about is 1 for the auto tranny. 2 is the ASD. Which is what im honestly thinking it is. That could be going bad. Automatic shut down relay. I mean sound about right.. LOL.. and then the 3rd one is the fuel pump. Manuals only have 2 relays there autos have 3.

But to shed more light onto this I took the car out and it didn't shut down and not turn back on but it did shut down a few times in the corse of a mile or so but I just unhooked the battery let it sit for a minute or so. And bam fired back up. I did notice at one point that the car died but I gave it more throttle and like poped back to life for a second then well died.. I ran the check engine light when I got home. nothing that shouldn't be there (deletes that been made for years). But I did notice its 100% random sadly.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back