The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

Resolved 2gNT Loss of power

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoSsRsT

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 2, 2009
Staten Island, New_York
Recently I noticed whenever i was on the expressway I would floor it and it would sluggishly move from 3k rpms to 3500 rmps and would take forever to climb. What could this be? I checked everything that I thought it would be but still nothing. Anyone have any idea what this could be?

Solution
Found the problem. I had one of those cheap intake filters from autozone, and the cap broke off and was jammed in the intake. I changed the filter to a flat bottom AEM. Now the car runs smooth again.
maybe a plugged CAT. Drill a 1/8" hole at the head of the CAT and see what happens...

And, this is definite shure-fire way to detect a plugged CAT when you drill that hole and suddenly you got gobs of power that came back that you've been missing for awhile..

If that aint it, then take a sheet metal screw to plug up that drilled hole, but before, clean the surface and make a spot of JB weld around the hole so the screw can plug the hole and the JB Weld finishes up the seal.

...and check for timing factors that could be out of wack of sorts.

Good luck-DSM

Here are the most common problems. Bad spark plugs/wire, slipping clutch, bad fuel filter, someone already covered the cat. There are others but I'd check these first. If you are having problems starting your car and getting shittastic MPGs I'd bet on the fuel filter. If it is bucking at certain RPMs it is most likely plugs or wires. Total loss of power could be a slipping clutch, remember auto or manuals still have a clutch the clutch in the auto just works differently so depending who you speak to they have one or not but in reality they do. As for a clogged cat generally it would get stupidly hot and could even glow red. To test for a clogged cat run it for a while so it gets the chance to get warm then look under the car. It is best to check at night since it can be very faint at first. Sorry for the wall of text but it's a total pain to form a paragraph neatly on the iPhone.

How do I do a compression check?

First you need a compression tester.
I use this guy. Car varies on how to do it but this is very similar. Good luck.

YouTube - Compression Testing and What You Can Learn From It

Since you have specify rpm... maybe your clutch maybe slipping. How is the rpm climb ... slowly during those rpm or does the car feel like it's going, stop, going,jerking kind of feel. If it is that it might be spark related!

It seemed to be my situation back when i had my last 420A intake header exhaust chipped and tune for some reason after a while it felt really slow not slow but as in it wasn't running the same and the guy that bought it about 6 months ago says the same? maybe just in our head or loss of compression or just simply not enough power :)

First you need a compression tester.
I use this guy. Car varies on how to do it but this is very similar. Good luck.

YouTube - Compression Testing and What You Can Learn From It

Since you have specify rpm... maybe your clutch maybe slipping. How is the rpm climb ... slowly during those rpm or does the car feel like it's going, stop, going,jerking kind of feel. If it is that it might be spark related!

Thanks for the youtube link. And the rpm climb is just very slow. It takes about 10 seconds to get from 3k rpms to 4k rpms in 5th gear while flooring the pedal.

Found the problem. I had one of those cheap intake filters from autozone, and the cap broke off and was jammed in the intake. I changed the filter to a flat bottom AEM. Now the car runs smooth again.

Solution
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back