The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Questions about interenally gated turbos

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ho0ked

15+ Year Contributor
May 8, 2005
Northern Va., Asia
So I'm at a loss, sometimes my boost only hits like 9-10 psi like in 1st gear, or second gear if im gentle on the pedal.

boost is hopefully set to about 22-25psi and I can hit that most of the time.

Is this a symptom of internally gated turbos ? or am i missing something?

Just got done fixing some cruddy boost leaks in the tuning forum, and my throttle plate is leaking around the coil spring area were u can manually rev the throttle. when I test it up to 25psi and stop it begins to leak down to 15psi within 20 seconds
leaking alot, hiss's loud during 25psi leak test, rest of my conections are leaky free :D

So this partial boost issue, is it from the internal gate, or something im not familar with:confused:

Thanks for any help gang :dsm:

GVR4592 said:
If you're not at wot you shouldn't expect to hit full boost.

Most of the time im referring to I AM at WOT ............
It's just sometimes she won't boost all the way, sometimes she does :confused:

So I'm at a loss, sometimes my boost only hits like 9-10 psi like in 1st gear, or second gear if im gentle on the pedal.

So gentle on the pedal means you gently ease it to wot? If you are at wot and you aren't getting full boost start checking things. Get your boost leaks fixed, check your wastegate actuator, check for pre-turbo exhaust leaks, etc. What turbo do you have?

Is this only in first and second and is it when your tires are breaking traction? If so, then it's simply due to not having enough load on the engine. It needs both heat and load to build boost and with the short gearing in first, it's not going to do it often anyway. In second gear, if it is breaking the tires loose, that's not as much load as it would be pulling if it were sticking so not likely to get full boost there either.

Did you try a boost leak test after you fixed the other leak cause leaks can accur at the same time so when you fix the main one you think your done and the problem sstill accurs. Second are you blowing any kind of smoke or do you hear any noises you didn't before cause your tubo may be fading on you. After you check that stuff I would check you mbc and your boost gauge wiring as it sounded like the kid before you installed them if I read you profile right and he may not have installed one of those correctly.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back