The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

PTU Mount on Evo3 Intake Manifold

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

99OZDSM

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 16, 2007
Virginia Beach, Virginia
I am wondering where and how everyone mounts their PTU with the Evo3 IM? I have the Evo3 manifold and the Evo3 coil bracket and there is no obvious place to mount the PTU.

I searched and found examples of mounted and unmounted PTUs. From my understanding, the PTU should be grounded to a bracket. The back side of the connector is bare metal (picture attached), which indicates to me that this holds true. Or at the very least, the bracket acts as a heat sink for the PTU. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Should I make a bracket? Try to make the old bracket fit? Run PTU unmounted? What have you guys done?

Attachments

• 20200128_194857.jpg
    20200128_194857.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 122
I have an rvr manifold, basically the same thing. My bracket looks completely different. Closer to a 1G style one. I just use the bolt hole for the 90 degree bend to bolt it to the manifold on an unused bolt hole behind the fuel rail on the manifold. It's gotten a bit stripped out from taking it on and off, so I started using the top of the manifold.

here's a 1G one. Not exactly what i have, but similar enough and could probably find one cheap. My car's parked about 200 miles away, or I'd snap some pics for you.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Here's an old shot of my manifold before I had it powder coated. I used a bracket similar to the one in my post above to mount it to either of the circled holes. The bottom one kept the sensor behind the rail, but I found it stripped out over time as I had to keep pulling it off to get at the fuel rail for swapping injectors and fixing seal leaks. eventually, I switched to turning the connector toward the motor and bolting it to the top bolt hole. Both are m6 thread IIRC and take about a half inch long bolt.

When I had the EVO intake manifold in my 2g, I vertically mounted the PTU on the coil bracket the same way as the EVO 1/2/3. Like the pics. My coil/PTU brackets weren't from EVO but the mounting points are the same as EVO's.
There should be a M8 threaded bolt hole on the coil bracket (where the blue circle is) and the lower coil bracket mount bolt, those two points are the EVO 1/2/3 stock PTU mount location.
The last two pics are the stock EVO1/2/3 coil pack/bracket with the PTU, just for reference.

I ran mine unmounted, just laying in the runner valley. I left the bracket on for a heat sink but the car never cared.

I never grounded mine, it just sat there, willy nilly but on its bracket for heat dissipation.

Thanks for all the ideas guys. I think I'm going to make a bracket behind my manifold like vegas or make a small bracket like the oem evo 1-3. Most likely the bracket behind the manifold as I need a place to mount my MAP sensor (to log boost and potentially go speed density at some point).

Thanks for all the ideas guys. I think I'm going to make a bracket behind my manifold like vegas or make a small bracket like the oem evo 1-3. Most likely the bracket behind the manifold as I need a place to mount my MAP sensor (to log boost and potentially go speed density at some point).
I am wondering if your car is 1G or 2G. I was assuming yours was 2G. If a 2G with the harness in the stock location, I don't think you can reach to behind the intake manifold or the firewall without rerouting/rewiring the harness. That's the reason why I mounted it to the EVO stock location because it's the closest to the 2G stock location.

Well you would need to pay me royalties if you steal my idea ;)
It actually was used with my old map sensor and is great location for either and is also hidden.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back