The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

PTE SCM5031E Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimis

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 5, 2003
Jersey Shore, Pennsylvania
My dsm is down because of engine problems, and im going to upgrade my turbo from an evo3 to posable PTE's 50 trim. I did a search on what is needed and this is what i got from my search's:

PTE 50trim - internal gated from Extreme Psi
650 Injectors
255lph
APR
S-Afc

Right now its stock fuel 450s/pump and Smic,

Could i get away with a supra side mount? I dont have the funds for a greddy front mount or any thing like that, or my other route is a 20g turbo. My goal is 400hp, and getting into the 12's or less and being daily driven.

Any input would be greatful.

Grimis said:
My dsm is down because of engine problems, and im going to upgrade my turbo from an evo3 to posable PTE's 50 trim. I did a search on what is needed and this is what i got from my search's:

PTE 50trim - internal gated from Extreme Psi
650 Injectors
255lph
APR
S-Afc

Right now its stock fuel 450s/pump and Smic,

Could i get away with a supra side mount? I dont have the funds for a greddy front mount or any thing like that, or my other route is a 20g turbo. My goal is 400hp, and getting into the 12's or less and being daily driven.

Any input would be greatful.

I would get the 50 trim over the evo3,i think the supra side mount wont be enough, but i could be wrong, i will have my greddy 24r for sale soon:D

ok, so def a fmic, will have to look on ebay and maybe get one on sale or something. Yet another qestion, will i have to change my intake? I have the Injen one now, will it be too small??

Grimis said:
ok, so def a fmic, will have to look on ebay and maybe get one on sale or something. Yet another qestion, will i have to change my intake? I have the Injen one now, will it be too small??

First of all, fuel setup sounds good...But, b/c your a 95 I would just look into DSMLINK...If not, then don't forget to get a datalogger

-You will want a FMIC or the boost will have to stay below 20psi, where the turbo is not really at its best...FMIC wise, I advise against the Greddy unit, and frankly, I think "mitsueclipsegsx" knows why also...

-Well, no you don't NEED a 3" intake, but the injen is incredibly tiny and you would need a coupler at least with a transition for the 3" exducer of the compressor

- So, 3" intake is recommended...Your turbo choice is very smart btw

dont cheap out on a 50 trim setup. trust me. ive been there. opt for the dsmlink, eventhough the safc2 is still a nice unit (what im currently running) there just isnt enough to beable to fine tune the car. although even @ 19psi. (which isnt too high on a 50 trim) the turbo pulls amazingly past redline. I'd also look into cams for your car.

kraka said:
First of all, fuel setup sounds good...But, b/c your a 95 I would just look into DSMLINK...If not, then don't forget to get a datalogger

-You will want a FMIC or the boost will have to stay below 20psi, where the turbo is not really at its best...FMIC wise, I advise against the Greddy unit, and frankly, I think "mitsueclipsegsx" knows why also...

-Well, no you don't NEED a 3" intake, but the injen is incredibly tiny and you would need a coupler at least with a transition for the 3" exducer of the compressor

- So, 3" intake is recommended...Your turbo choice is very smart btw

Ok so the injen is out and a new 3" is in, Dsmlink is out, i have a datalogger and will be getting an SAFC, i dont have the money to grab a laptop even tho the low end ones will work. I plan on getting a front mount and have nicked the Greddy one from a few findings i have found as you said. there is a guy on ebay with over 5000 feedbacks that makes a short route one, and that looks like the one ill be getting and i can keep my fog lights in my 98 front bumper. I'll be building this up sence the car is down with motor problems, so hopefuly i can have every thing needed to run it the first time out, if not, boost will be keept at the lowest it will go. Thanks for the input, you guys get reps for the help :rocks:

Grimis said:
. . .Dsmlink is out, i have a datalogger and will be getting an SAFC, i dont have the money to grab a laptop even tho the low end ones will work.

Then spend the money on very good injectors that have very low deadtime. Your little SAFC will have issues tuning part throttle and idle situations. As well you'll be running into hella high timing problems which equals a HUGE fmic. Consequently I say get DSMLink too. You can't get alot of the potential that 50trim will deliver with a piggyback. So why by it in the first place then.

Grimis said:
I plan on getting a front mount and have nicked the Greddy one from a few findings i have found as you said. there is a guy on ebay with over 5000 feedbacks that makes a short route one, and that looks like the one ill be getting and i can keep my fog lights in my 98 front bumper.

That's a good option but you'll not be able to run over 20+ psi on pump gas because of your high timing consequential of your SAFC choice. Again why get the 50 trim if you can't boost over 20 psi?:confused:

Grimis said:
I'll be building this up sence the car is down with motor problems, so hopefuly i can have every thing needed to run it the first time out, if not, boost will be keept at the lowest it will go. Thanks for the input, you guys get reps for the help :rocks:
2/3 of these guys said get DSMLink... Listen to them. There is no need to get a 20g or a 50 trim with out a good tuning and fuel control setup. You're on the right path. I should have never upgraded to an 18g from a 16gWTF . I was a moron... a 20g is almost as good as a 50 trim IMHO (in otherwords, not worth the upgrade from one to the other). Yet, I'm glad that I got DSMLink because it really let me run the sh!t out of my 18g and, now with my 60-1 (quite a bit bigger than a 50 trim), I know I've got all the tuning options I need for hitting that turbo in the sweet spot.

Buschur was in the 9s with piggybacks long before dsmlink was available. I run 22psi on pump with an SAFC, 660s on a turbo that flows 65lbs/min. My timing is great and the car runs fine. You'll have no problems with an SAFC if you know how to tune. Yes like dsmonster is saying that you will be so far off the map that it will run fine actually, so don't sweat it. IF you really know what you are doing you can easily get away with SAFC, chipped eprom, and GM MAF and translator and make 500whp reliably. If you have the $700 to dish out on a dsmlink you might as well dish out another $400 and go AEM. All you'll need for that 50 trim is the 660s, walboro 255, and an SAFC. Only get the AFPR if you have to, which I really don't see the need to but thats just my opinion.

Ok, add another question to the list, what out of my 2g install kit i got for my old evo( i say old ### i no longer have it) can I use? I know Extreme sells a kit for 149, and what about my TQ in my trans, with the evo I could bring it up to 2500/2800rpms and build boost off the line and launch it, worked wounders. Also I found a 21x9x3inch FMIC core, and im going to have to find someone to make pipes for it, should i go short route or run it to the stock local, i have the Full RRE UICP, and realy dont want to sell to get another, but if there is an advantage over reg run or short run , I'd like to know.

Grimis said:
Ok, add another question to the list, what out of my 2g install kit i got for my old evo( i say old ### i no longer have it) can I use? I know Extreme sells a kit for 149, and what about my TQ in my trans, with the evo I could bring it up to 2500/2800rpms and build boost off the line and launch it, worked wounders. Also I found a 21x9x3inch FMIC core, and im going to have to find someone to make pipes for it, should i go short route or run it to the stock local, i have the Full RRE UICP, and realy dont want to sell to get another, but if there is an advantage over reg run or short run , I'd like to know.

You can't use anything from the evo install kit on the pte 50trim.

You can reach your goals of 12s/400hp with the evo3. Why not just get the fuel system and save up for fmic, cams, and other support mods to take full advantage of a 50trim; if you decide to go that route.

thanks for the info on the install kit, ill get working on taking it out and putting it up for sale, Jpipe, ss oil feed line, elbow, the other pipe that came with it, it was from sbr..

Sublime-Ing I had the evo, got rid of it, to add funds for the motor rebuild. I'll be building this in stages, not like the car is going to be used with the motor out, i'll be getting stuff here and there, im hoping to have it up and together before the shoot out tho. I though about getting another evo, yeah it was more punch then the T25, but once ya ride in a 50trim car (yes it was auto) you will understand why im moving up LOL..

1SloColt said:
If you have the $700 to dish out on a dsmlink you might as well dish out another $400 and go AEM.

And then another 200 for a cheap laptop (which you already included in the DSMLink price), several hundred more for all the various sensors so you can use all the functions, and judging by what i gather as this guys level of tuning experience a few hours on the dyno to get it all set up for him.

Suddenly the price difference is alot bigger.

back from the dead, it was the oil pump! so im shifting things around, im still looking at the 5031E turbo, and im realy looking at dsmlink now, would 650s be ok or just get 880s at the same price and just tune from there? I still have my Pocketlogger and pda, and my old stuff, 450s, intake, install kit for the 16g so i can sell that stuff. Engine is getting hone/rering, new rods, bearings, front case, tbelt and water pump. I found a nice 21x9x3 FMIC so thats going to go on there as well, and maybe a better TQ from IPT. dont know yet, still aways from that yet.

Go as big as you can. You can get brand spanking new RC 1000cc injectors off of ebay for $316 shipped. There's a whole thread on the dsmlink.com forums discussing these injectors. It will be no more difficult to tune 1600cc injectors than 550s w/ DSMLink.

I know you're spending alot. But A good cam upgrade would suit you 50trim well. FP2s can be run on stock springs and they're as cheap as they come. Also FFWD does regrinds for $65 a piece...I think.

well after reading a few post about horror stories of the pte turbo, i might settle for the 18g that FP sells. Im still going with dsmlink and maybe 680/880s still the same price. Thanks for the input sofar!

Grimis said:
well after reading a few post about horror stories of the pte turbo, i might settle for the 18g that FP sells. Im still going with dsmlink and maybe 680/880s still the same price. Thanks for the input sofar!

Aww man! That's disappointing. It's just my opinion, but a 50-trim is a great turbo for a nasty street machine.

I had an FP built 18g and loved it. Very impressive midrange. Its in between a 20g and EVO3 16G in inducer diameters; a little more to the 20g side. But the evo3 has thinner blades. So this turbo probably flows right in the middle in between an evo3 and 20g.

You know, there's the FP Green, AGP RS49 (& 49T), and SBR has some 50-trims. You don't have to go PTE to get a bolt-on 50trim.

heh, FP Green is out of my price range, I know SBR has a 50gt i think it is, Im still keeping my options open, but leaning towords that 18g from FP..

Now i don't have a link to back this up but if you do a quick search you'll find a few threads where this is discussed/pointed out. I would tell you to get the evo3 over the 18g. The evo flows just as much as, if not alittle more than, the 18g. Not to mention it costs 100 bux less and spools alittle quicker. Now i don't know how it comares to the tdo6 18g but if you were looking to spend that kinda money i think you'd be looking at all the other turbos listed in this thread.

If i go with the jpipe turbo (evo/18g) it will be the 18g ### of the dry bearing, less hassle in stalling it no water lines to worrie about, I have yet to call SBR about there GT50 i think it is but other then that, im still working on getting my engine out to get it to the machine shop.....

Get your regular problems straightened out before you start upgrading anything. Anyway, the e316G is an excellent turbo and full boost hits hard right before 3500 rpms. It is great throughout most of it's power band and is only 569 to boot! IMO the 18G is a good turbo, but for the same amount of money (or maybe a little more) a 20g or a 50 trim hybrid is available to you. Also, add a nice FMIC to your list of mods because a SMIC (even an upgraded one) will be a hindering factor once you start crank the boost up. If you're tight on money, get the XS power FMIC (I just got one) kit for less than 350 shipped, it includes all piping and core for your 2g. Plus it mates up to a downfiring turbo. If not, go custom. Here are 2 links that I did a while back on my smaller FMIC.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175349
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132401

Do not mistake that running a wet bearing is any more hassle installing than a dry bearing. It will cost you about 16 dollars ( 4 14mm copper crush washers) and about 10 extra minutes to install the water lines. I can't figure out why a dry or wet bearing would effect your decision at all.

I have ran an e316G, a SBR G50, and now I have the SCM 5031 BB. Hands down the 5031 is the most capable turbo that I have had so far because it spools far faster than the standard 50 trim and makes much better top end power than a 16G. Once I get some kinks worked out and turn the boost past 17 psi and really wake her up, I don't see how there is any competition.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back