The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Rs49t Vs Pte-scm5031e ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtbguy7

Probationary Member
Oct 23, 2004
Brea, California
I need opinion on:

Precision Turbo SCM5031E

360-degree journal bearing
50mm, 50 trim compressor wheel with a 2.123" inducer and 3.00" exducer.
The T31 76 trim turbine wheel has a 2.559" inducer and a 2.228" exducer.
The turbine housing is an upgraded Precision Turbo casting with a 0.63 A/R

VS.

RST49T Turbonetics

49 lb/min compressor
-50 trim T04E compressor
-76 trim T31 turbine wheel (stage 3)
-T04E (3" inlet, 2" outlet) polished compressor housing

They are both $800 shipped including internal wastegate.

Which is a better turbo? what would you guys buy?

Its a "crap shoot" my friend!

I have the 49 RS it works fine. I have heard of a lot of bad stuff about PTE turbos so I bought AGP.

last week I went over to RRE and they had one (PTE) that was burned up going back to get O/Hed. I asked about them and Ty told me that they dont have many probs with the PTEs.

at GT PRO i asked about the PTEs and they told me that they dont spool for shit, so I was
and a stand still with PTE.

both PTE and AGP have BB centers now! for just a bit more! Just call your favorite shop and ask about them.

I called both SBR and AGP and both are very helpful. I went with AGP because there very close to me and if i had probs down time would be lower.

mtbguy7 said:
I need opinion on:

Precision Turbo SCM5031E

360-degree journal bearing
50mm, 50 trim compressor wheel with a 2.123" inducer and 3.00" exducer.
The T31 76 trim turbine wheel has a 2.559" inducer and a 2.228" exducer.
The turbine housing is an upgraded Precision Turbo casting with a 0.63 A/R

VS.

RST49T Turbonetics

49 lb/min compressor
-50 trim T04E compressor
-76 trim T31 turbine wheel (stage 3)
-T04E (3" inlet, 2" outlet) polished compressor housing

They are both $800 shipped including internal wastegate.

Which is a better turbo? what would you guys buy?

Same shit, different pile. PTE kinda built a bad reputation due to a whole bunch of 50 trims eating their seals for lunch in a relatively short time -- rumor is that it was due to the cheaper 270 degree bearing. AGP, otoh, has a pretty much flawless history with mitsu-flanged t3/t4 variants and you can't really go wrong there. You get the 1 year warranty with the RS-T series, but you'll find mixed reviews everywhere on the Turbonetics variants. Some people never have problems, some peoply rock the 1yr warranty on a regular basis.

Personally, I'd go with the AGP RS49 with the ball bearing CHRA. Slightly quicker spool, much better transient response. Little bit more -- but you're gonna have to live with this upgrade for a while, so why not make it worth it? Can't beat Garrett quality...there's a reason they're the name in turbocharging.

Sorry to bring this thread back alive but whre did you find the SCM5031E for 800$ with internal gate? link please?

Im thinking about getting it because i have been hearing never ending horror stories about the AGP RS49T even though i like them from paperwork, but people keep having repeating issues while others enjoy the 5031 and say its good enough power to get over 400hp and into the 11's easy with full boost before 4200 rpm :thumb:

diamondgst said:
Sorry to bring this thread back alive but whre did you find the SCM5031E for 800$ with internal gate? link please?

Im thinking about getting it because i have been hearing never ending horror stories about the AGP RS49T even though i like them from paperwork, but people keep having repeating issues while others enjoy the 5031 and say its good enough power to get over 400hp and into the 11's easy with full boost before 4200 rpm :thumb:

I just ordered a SCM5031BB from TheSpeedFactor & they said PTE's raised the price of these to a base of about $1125 (Give or take $50..don't remember exactly). I got the turbo (With Internal gate) & SBR's new cast manifold (Ported) for around $1495 total.

As for deciding, obviously people have heard bad stuff about both (PTE & AGP) turbos, so I'd say flip a coin...who knows if what people have heard are just rumors or opinion or fact.

Edit: Just saw this was posted in October..I'm sure the guy's made his decision by now, guys.

im in a simular boat..i could get a evo3 16g..but my buiddy sent me a link to the speed factor and their 5031bb .. now ive heard that the rs49t has better transient response..spome people on this boartd say it spools too slow?? WTF??

i need some concrete answers.. because i dont wanna get a evo3 16g and be dissapointed (i want good transient response)

now thers49t and sc5031bb are ball bearing turbos.. dont BBs have very good transient response????

Raph said:
im in a simular boat..i could get a evo3 16g..but my buiddy sent me a link to the speed factor and their 5031bb .. now ive heard that the rs49t has better transient response..spome people on this boartd say it spools too slow?? WTF??

i need some concrete answers.. because i dont wanna get a evo3 16g and be dissapointed (i want good transient response)

now thers49t and sc5031bb are ball bearing turbos.. dont BBs have very good transient response????

BB Turbos are said to spool about 15% quicker than normal fluid bearing turbos.

ball bearing turbos only spool a few hundred RPM faster....so if you're on a budget the BB turbo won't give you that much of an increase for the dollar amount spent.

Raph said:

I think just the PTE scm5031RE is the only one of those 2 that are ball bearing?????:confused:

92awddsm said:
You are right. The rs49t is a standard journal bearing, not bb. The pte is available in both bb and journal bearing.

Anyone have any issues with the 5031e reg. 360 race bearing? and how about positives for this turbo? Power? 1/4 times?

anyone else noticed its a .63 ar side instead of the 73(or whatever number) is this bad like the flow amount or spool time better worse?

a_scobel said:
I just ordered a SCM5031BB from TheSpeedFactor & they said PTE's raised the price of these to a base of about $1125 (Give or take $50..don't remember exactly). I got the turbo (With Internal gate) & SBR's new cast manifold (Ported) for around $1495 total.

Is this the one you ordered?
http://thespeedfactor.com/turbo_t3t4bb_dsm_pte.html

If so does that mean that the price on this web page is no lnger accurate?

Steve Hebert said:
Is this the one you ordered?
http://thespeedfactor.com/turbo_t3t4bb_dsm_pte.html

If so does that mean that the price on this web page is no lnger accurate?

Correct. Martin, from SpeedFactor told me that the site just isn't updated yet..price is now $1125 instead of $845.

From their homepage:
Precision Turbo BB T3/T4 Price increase. We regret to inform you that Garrett has raised pricing which caused the PTE BB T3/T4 Turbochargers to go up in price. We are working on updating the website accordingly.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back