The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

PTE SCM5031E Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

so in other words, forget the horror stories about bolts snaping, bearings failing etc, and just get the 5031E?? I would like to but as you said and i stated before, new bearings/rings/hone job/front case and rods come before turbo setup...Thanks for the Input tho, Its a toss up and now that i have two great offers for the pte 50trim... Im realy thinking now LOL

There are definiteliy horror stories about the PTE turbos, however, I'm taking a chance with this new Garrett BB CHRA in hopes that it won't fail on me. Besides, I'm pretty confident that Matt at SBR will take care of me if in case something should fail in the future. I didn't read anywhere (unless I missed it) that you had to rebuild your block, but that's definitely a priority over getting a new turbo. It's always best to get your car running optimally before modding. Of course I'm sure you already know that.

goodluck and hopefully you'll make the right decision with what turbo you want :thumb:

90blacktsiawd said:
Now i don't have a link to back this up but if you do a quick search you'll find a few threads where this is discussed/pointed out. I would tell you to get the evo3 over the 18g. The evo flows just as much as, . . ., the 18g.
Keep in mind that no one knows what the 18g flows. There's no compressor map. It could flow as much as a 20g. Though that is not reasonable... It has an inducer diameter closer to that of a 20g but the evo3 has thinner blades so no one knows... If I can ever get my car back on the road then maybe i'll take the time to max this turbo out and see what lb/min it pushes.

90blacktsiawd said:
Not to mention it costs 100 bux less and spools alittle quicker.
I reach full boost (28+ psi) by 3500 rpms w/ 2 1/4 " exhaust. On the TD05H hot side... But nevertheless, the TD06H 18G will net substancially more power, that is more than likely worth the spool difference being that Grimis was debating getting a 50-trim. Not that a 50trim spools so slow. . .

90blacktsiawd said:
Now i don't know how it comares to the tdo6 18g but if you were looking to spend that kinda money i think you'd be looking at all the other turbos listed in this thread.
The hot side makes all the difference. The 06H wheel inceases the overall volumetric efficiency substancially. I really feel that the 06H is the perfect turbine wheel for the 18G and 20G. based on my meager testing of the 18G so far... There's a reason MHI built the 18G compressor wheel. Perhaps it was designed and tested w/ the 06H wheel in mind;) .

Grimis said:
so in other words, forget the horror stories about bolts snaping, bearings failing etc, and just get the 5031E?? I would like to but as you said and i stated before, new bearings/rings/hone job/front case and rods come before turbo setup...Thanks for the Input tho, Its a toss up and now that i have two great offers for the pte 50trim... Im realy thinking now LOL

How old are the threads you've researched? You know that supposedly PTE corrected their reliability issues... 360 degree race thrust bearings are good... My mani to turbo bolt snapped several times w/ my small 16g. It was my fault. I didn't loosen the bolts in stages. These are just comments to encourage objectivity. Not to defend one brand over another...

I dont want to come off as insulting, condescending, or a dick in any manner, but with all those "horror" stories you have read in old threads I would seriously question the install. So many people make the mistake of assuming that whoever is writing these horror stories was a compitent mechanic and everything was installed more than correctly, but cleanly. After going to some meets and seeing some other peoples definitions of clean installs you always have to take everything you read on the internet with a grain of salt. I would be willing to bet that a majority of the people who actually experienced these horror stories (not just the ones who heard about them or had a buddy...) were some shady little mechanics that don't own a torque wrench and use the VFAQ as a bible.

sorry to put anyone's pantys in a brunch, did't mean anything by it, just stating what i found on these forums and others..

But i will be going to the 50trim, just got to get the right facts on the install and i've read that some have use a N/a water pipe??? so im not sure. but the pulling of the motor weds weather permits and off to the machine shop :)

No bunched panties here. Just think that more people need to take the things they read with a grain of salt. I mean...I have seen people compliment nitrous installs using copper tubing...hello? McFly??

Good luck with the 50 trim man, post results on here ASAP. I am really considering one. Stuck between the 3052, 50trim, and s200

the FP3052 is definitely the winner here, if money permits. You can't beat FP's reputation and history. Anyway, the BB 50 trim is wonderful when rowing through the gears. It keeps the spool up and you can definitely tell the difference if you've ever owned a standard 50 trim. Even spoolup is 300 rpms faster and hits great, like all 50 trims do.

As for the NT waterpipe, that is a good idea if you have one lying around or can pick one up for cheap. Just remember to get new OEM O-rings to replace your old ones. However, I do not have any issues with my turbo waterpipe with my PTE turbo. I did have to dent it for my SBR G50 though.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

that is a nice turbo :sneaky: :thumb:
going to re-up a dead post.

Things are looking good, been along time since my last post here, things been bizzy ROFL

any ways, Im going with ether the 5031E or the 3427E, both the same price just one is rated higher. Setup has been bumped up.

780cc PTE injectors
255lph High flow pump
Aeromotive FPR/Fuel rail kit/gauge
New SS fuel feed line
**ether of the above turbos"
Ether Psi's intake or Dejon's
Laptop from ether ebay or local run of the mill comptuer shop here (i build my own so i pick on others :shhh: )
Gagues : A/F by Zeitronixs, Trans temp, oil pressure, egt

and maybe a set of cams...

This is after i make up my mind on a engine build/rebuild or 6bolt swap.

I seen a few was looking to get the PTE and woundering if they got it or what, and how they like, and What is the "HAPPY" spot for a 50trim in terms of PSI?? Im looking at 23psi maybe....

i ran this turbo with a safcii at 24 psi on 93 octane with around 10 counts of knock on a 1g.... i was using a 2-216 dsmotorsports FMIC and 650 FIC injectors.... stock ECU

cool, IM going to bump the turbo to the ballbearing version, im getting the dejontool fmic and uicp kit along with there intake, still sticking with the fuel setup. So i'll will be happy with 23psi, well will be runing less till the new motor gets broken in.

blcknspo0ln said:
the FP3052 is definitely the winner here, if money permits. You can't beat FP's reputation and history. Anyway, the BB 50 trim is wonderful when rowing through the gears. It keeps the spool up and you can definitely tell the difference if you've ever owned a standard 50 trim. Even spoolup is 300 rpms faster and hits great, like all 50 trims do.

As for the NT waterpipe, that is a good idea if you have one lying around or can pick one up for cheap. Just remember to get new OEM O-rings to replace your old ones. However, I do not have any issues with my turbo waterpipe with my PTE turbo. I did have to dent it for my SBR G50 though.

300 rpms faster means what rpm as full boost in 2nd and 3rd gears? thanks...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back