1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

1G Oil pump failure, one worn cam journal- fixable?

Posted by Dericsh, Dec 5, 2019

Please Support Southbay Fuel Injectors
Please Support Southbay Fuel Injectors
  1. Dericsh

Dericsh Supporting Member

Joined Nov 25, 2002
    Pearl River, Louisiana
    1991 gst all stock. I bought this car cheap with a noise I thought/hoped was the hydraulic timing tensioner. Upon timing breakdown, I found the oil pump sprocket hard to turn, and actually grinding into the front case. I haven’t pulled the engine yet to replace these parts but I assume it has balance shafts so either that failed or the pump itself. While I had the belt off I was checking the lifters and found they were 1g so I ordered a 3g set. When I was installing them I found this. It’s the cylinder 4 passenger side last exhaust cam journal. The one next to it has very minimal wear and all the rest look fine. The cam cap looks great and the cam has a little mark but nothing that catches a finger nail. I assume that since it is the furthest spot from the low/no oil pressure it suffered the damage shown. So in my searching the last couple days, I have seen pictures not as bad, and way worse than this- where the suggestions were to sand and go, or replace the cylinder head. I guess I’m just wondering where the line is and if I crossed it. And if so, I should I be doing a full tear down here, or long block shopping- or can I just replace the head and go?

Attached Files:

Street Build 171  1

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 1G DSM
  2. 1990TSIAWDTALON

1990TSIAWDTALON Moderator

Joined Nov 14, 2013
    Independence, Kansas
    What do the main and rod bearings look like? I would not use that head. It would always worry me that more material is coming off and going thru my motor. Hate to say that......:rolleyes:
    Anytime there is a oil supply failure, you need to check all of the clearances to make sure it didn't hurt anything else.

Street Build 4K  27

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · automatic · 1G DSM

653  14

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM

481  18

1967 Chevrolet Camaro RS
    rwd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 689  7

1998 Eagle Talon TSi
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 5K  11  25

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    13.620 @ 108.460 · 1G DSM
  3. Dericsh

Dericsh Supporting Member

Joined Nov 25, 2002
    Pearl River, Louisiana
    Thanks, when I found out I needed a front case I was gonna pull the engine anyway, so might as well break it down.
    I have no history besides a few oil change receipts. 215k miles. The turbo was locked up as well and I wonder if it was from poor oil supply now.

Street Build 171  1

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 1G DSM
  4. 1990TSIAWDTALON

Joined Nov 14, 2013
    Independence, Kansas
    Very well possible, especially if the oil pump went down during a hard run. I had a oil filter back off during a pull and although I was able to save the motor, when I shut her off at 7500, the turbo continued to spin, without oil. About 2 weeks later, the journal bearings were shot and a rebuild in order.

Street Build 4K  27

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · automatic · 1G DSM

653  14

awd · manual · 1G DSM

481  18

1967 Chevrolet Camaro RS

Street Build 689  7

1998 Eagle Talon TSi
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 5K  11  25

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
  5. BLACK'98DSM

BLACK'98DSM Proven Member

Joined Feb 9, 2019
    Hoover, Alabama
    How'd that feel? Shutting off at 2k torques the body... I'd be scared to do that!

Road Race Build 2K  24

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

471  5

2012 Murray Explorer Dune

363  4

2009 Troy Bilt Bronco
  6. 1990TSIAWDTALON

Joined Nov 14, 2013
    Independence, Kansas
    Scared me. I thought "OH SIHT, OIL LIGHT!!!" grabbed the key and killed it at somewhere around 7500. Coasted for a good 3/4 mile and turned onto a gravel road. Threw 2 qts of oil in it (why do you keep 2 qts of oil with you), fired her up.......instantly dumped it all, thats how I found out it was the filter. Called my dad to tow me home. Boy what a mess. Now I put a big worm clamp on the filter and safety wire that to anything close. These motors vibrate alot when the BS's are removed. I had the next assembly completely balanced at a shop after that ordeal. Its always something and now dad is watching me from heaven. Hope he's proud!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019

Street Build 4K  27

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · automatic · 1G DSM

653  14

awd · manual · 1G DSM

481  18

1967 Chevrolet Camaro RS

Street Build 689  7

1998 Eagle Talon TSi
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 5K  11  25

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    BLACK'98DSM and Dericsh like this.
  7. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania
    That head is a doorstop, find a new one, there is too much metal missing and its somewhere in the engine, you will need an entire rebuild and super good cleaning and inspection including pulling the crankshaft plugs and having the crankshaft hot tanked if the crankshaft is even re-usable, the oil pump for sure will need the entire front case replaced, I would only recommend a genuine Mitsubishi front case, aftermarket ones (Topline) can be tempting due to price point but I have seen to many of them fail costing you more in damage than they can ever save you.

Drag Race Build 3K  24

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
    1990TSIAWDTALON and Dericsh like this.