The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

2G Oil on valve cover

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JGeezyyy

Proven Member
Feb 2, 2015
Naugatuck, Connecticut
So I’ve been having an issue with oil on the valve cover since I purchased this car earlier this year. I replaced the valve cover gasket with tube seals, and the oil cap gasket. If the valve cover has a crack in it, I can’t find it. Just wanted to ask if there’s any other options before I buy a new valve cover. Thanks guys. I have a picture just in case.

Attachments

• 3429FB27-5E11-4AD8-8A0F-705F9EE60E5E.jpeg
    3429FB27-5E11-4AD8-8A0F-705F9EE60E5E.jpeg
    558.8 KB · Views: 207
Hard to tell if the valve cover is cracked from a picture it would have to be removed cleaned up and inspected. I would recommmend a change and upgrade to an EVO oil cap looks better and comes with a new seal to rule that out.
Did you change the half moon seal on the valve cover?

Attachments

• 09ACD068-27B8-41AD-A364-5A06CA29BD96.jpeg
    09ACD068-27B8-41AD-A364-5A06CA29BD96.jpeg
    15.9 KB · Views: 87
It does say that you replaced the oil cap gasket however I had the same issue even after new gasket..the metal clip under the cap can get deformed over age an not properly putting pressure on the cap. May not be your situation but it's worth a shot. Thank you for your time, Jason Penny

It does say that you replaced the oil cap gasket however I had the same issue even after new gasket..the metal clip under the cap can get deformed over age an not properly putting pressure on the cap. May not be your situation but it's worth a shot. Thank you for your time, Jason Penny

I had a problem with my oil cap leaking... I bought a new one from Advanced and Autozone but it would still leak. The problem was that the metal tab under the cap wasn’t strong enough and it would hold enough pressure. I ended up buying one from the dealer and I never had another problem with the oil cap again.

I doubled up the seal for the oil cap, problem solved, but I agree with @c2ypt1c about a cracked bolt boss. Mine didn't look cracked before I painted it, but after being installed it leaks the same way after about 500 miles. Pulled it off and went full anal retentive inspection, found a casting flaw that had resulted in a crack that was almost imperceptible, but lo-and-behold.

I plan on getting a Frontline Fab one as a gift to myself someday.

Hard to tell if the valve cover is cracked from a picture it would have to be removed cleaned up and inspected. I would recommmend a change and upgrade to an EVO oil cap looks better and comes with a new seal to rule that out.
Did you change the half moon seal on the valve cover?

Yes I did. And yes I’ve read that before but just bought an oem gasket from extremepsi.

You replaced valve cover gasket with tube seals? What's that mean?

The spark plug gromet seals

Thanks. It was super snug when I put it on, it really seems to be on there good. Maybe I’ll try a new cap before I look into valve covers.

If your crankcase pressure is high you will blow oil out. Assuming there is no crack, how is your vent system and pcv???

And you got oil in this hole for the wire separator and on the closest bolt head so it's definitly coming from the cap but maybe also the crack?

Like others said try bending the metal tabs on the oil cap and stripping the valve cover to inspect that area.

Attachments

• IMG_0473.JPG
    IMG_0473.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 116
If your crankcase pressure is high you will blow oil out. Assuming there is no crack, how is your vent system and pcv???
No catch can although I was looking into it, as the dipstick holder looks like it’s been blown out before. (Bought it like that.) been looking into which one to buy honestly.

It is cracked. Replace it. You will find the crack after you replace it. I guarantee. Same thing happened to me. Invest in a torque wrench.
Although I already have a torque wrench, don’t see how that would help. I didn’t overtighten the bolts after I did the valve cover gasket. Torque wrench isn’t necessary as im pretty sure the torque specs are not much at all. I believe they are in inch pounds instead of ft lbs if I remember correctly. The previous owner probably did.

No catch can although I was looking into it, as the dipstick holder looks like it’s been blown out before. (Bought it like that.) been looking into which one to buy honestly.
Still didnt answer my question. What do you have now? Is there a working pcv? Are the stock lines in place? How is the car setup?

Still didnt answer my question. What do you have now? Is there a working pcv? Are the stock lines in place? How is the car setup?
Stock pcv setup. Line from intake pipe to valve cover, and pcv has the line going to the intake manifold. The only issue I can think with the pcv system would be that the line to the intake manifold may be restricting. I think I have a picture when I first bought it I’ll include it below.

Pull the valve cover, strip the paint, and inspect it thoroughly. The motor I'm building came with a valve cover that looked perfect, minus the peeling paint. I had it media blasted just to clean it up to prep for new paint, only to find a nasty crack that was hidden beneath the paint.

Point is, if it's painted you're not going to be able to inspect it properly, you need to strip it down.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back