The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

1G Unknown oil leak - valve cover

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chapmanwired13

Proven Member
Aug 4, 2018
Mandan, North_Dakota
I recently bought a bone stock one owner 1990 eagle talon tsi awd from the original owner. Had been sitting for awhile and he said he would take $500 for it but he thought the head gasket was blown. I did compression test and leak down test and it passed with flying colors. So I checked the new looking ebay turbo that he had a shop replace and sure enough it was blown. Put on an extra one I had from my fully built 91 talon and it runs perfect. Only issue is that somehow the top of the valve cover fills up with oil where the plug wires sit. I thought maybe the cover was cracked or the gasket was bad so when I replaced the timing belt and all the pulleys and tensioner I put another valve cover and new cover gasket and spark plug hole gaskets. It still fills up with oil. Doesn't spray when it's running and no iol is on the side of the valve cover or anywhere else. And it does this even when it's not running. Has me stumped. Anyone have any ideas? I'll include a photo of what I mean. And some of the car.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Here is a photo of the day I found the car and same day after I washed it and parked it in my shop

The valve cover has to be cracked somewhere.
Ya that's what I thought but I know for a fact the new valve cover I put on isn't cracked bc it came off my built 91 and never did this. And it's just been hanging on my wall since I took it off. I do plan to try another one I have the weekend.

It pools up even if it’s not running??? That doesn’t make sense.
Yeah that's why I'm so confused. It hadn't been started in a couple years when I got it and it fired right up to load on the trailer. But before we started it there was oil pooles up in the same place. The pic I posted is after it sat for 2 days. Not running

The other possibility is you've got a jokester running around pouring oil in there when you aren't looking. :idontknow:
That would be funny af. But not the case unfortunately. I do think I'm gonna have to set up a camera on it to see where it's coming from

Did you replace the gasket including spark plug tubes? Are the inner bolts loose? Be careful when tightening them as you can crack the vc very easily
Yes replaced all the gaskets, valve cover, spark plug holes, even cam seals and cam angle o ring, along with all the timing components, valve cover and another oem oil cap and then the brand new billet oil cap with new seal. All bolts are tight. Just as tight as they are on my 600hp race car. None of them are stripped or too tight. I've had quite a few dsm's since I was a teenager. Had every year from 90 to 99 talon and eclipse. Gst and gsx tsi fwd and tsi awd.

I experienced this a few years back, and it ended up being my oil cap and seal. After fidgeting with the cap and a few different seals I tried a new cap and seal that finally did the trick, but now my cap is on so tight I have to fight with it to take it off.

Video time lapse is a good idea and I’m curious where it’s coming from also.
Ya that's what I'm gonna have to do

I experienced this a few years back, and it ended up being my oil cap and seal. After fidgeting with the cap and a few different seals I tried a new cap and seal that finally did the trick, but now my cap is on so tight I have to fight with it to take it off.
Ya the new billet one fits on there kinda snugg. I know that's not it tho. It's completely dry all the way around the cap

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back