The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Oil leak in my 4G63

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black_Fury

Probationary Member
Mar 3, 2021
Tarragona (Spain), Europe
Hi guys,
I am new to this forum,
I wanted to consult a question about an oil leak that I have in the 4G63 engine,
I do not know if it is produced by the gasket of the cylinder head cover, by the seal of the camshafts or if it is by the cylinder head gasket.

Less than a month ago I changed the gasket of the cylinder head cover, it was already old for years.

And my surprise is that in less than a month I find when I disassemble the cover that the new gasket is damaged, I do not know if it is normal.

I have already waiting for a new gasket to change that one, I am waiting for it to arrive.

But I had been told that the oil leak could be the other two options that I mentioned above.

Ask if I can upload photos and how you see it.

Thank you very much in advance

Attachments

• IMG-20210301-WA0066.jpeg
    IMG-20210301-WA0066.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 121
  • IMG-20210301-WA0055.jpeg
    IMG-20210301-WA0055.jpeg
    916.4 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG-20210301-WA0068.jpeg
    IMG-20210301-WA0068.jpeg
    714.1 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_20210301_154159.jpg
    IMG_20210301_154159.jpg
    1,016.7 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_20210301_134337.jpg
    IMG_20210301_134337.jpg
    660.5 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_20210301_134323.jpg
    IMG_20210301_134323.jpg
    877 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_20210301_134607.jpg
    IMG_20210301_134607.jpg
    865.8 KB · Views: 110
Id order a front case gasket set which comes with the seals and gaskets needed. And order some cam seals, and replace them all at once. Along with the valve cover gasket of course.

Id order a front case gasket set which comes with the seals and gaskets needed. And order some cam seals, and replace them all at once. Along with the valve cover gasket of course.

But I can't change the camshaft seals without going to a workshop, right?

And here where I live, the mechanics with these engines are not very careful

Hi and welcome to the Forums!

Do you remember which brand valve cover gasket you used? One of the best are Ajusa which I'm sure you know are made in Spain. Sometimes if you bought a gasket which had sat in a warehouse for many years it would crack just like in the pictures. The one I installed a few months ago cracked like that and the ONLY way to permanently fix the VC leaks were a light coating of Victor Reinz black silicone all around the perimeter. Just applying RTV around the corners like the service manual says is NOT enough, at least in my personal experience.

You have two options: Clean this current gasket and "glue it up" with some silicone, or buy a fresh one, preferably Ajusa (~20-25 euros with the 4 rings) and again, use a light coating of silicone on it.

Then, let it sit for 24 hours minimum before driving, and in the meantime degrease the engine. Any future leaks could indicate camshaft seal leaks, which require a strong pneumatic gun to take the sprocket bolts off, and you will need to re-time the engine.

That said, you have *a lot* of oil on your timing belt which will soon make the belt unusable and it may indicate further leaks from around the oil cover/gasket.

Do you remember which brand valve cover gasket you used? One of the best are Ajusa which I'm sure you know are made in Spain. Sometimes if you bought a gasket which had sat in a warehouse for many years it would crack just like in the pictures. The one I installed a few months ago cracked like that and the ONLY way to permanently fix the VC leaks were a light coating of Victor Reinz black silicone all around the perimeter. Just applying RTV around the corners like the service manual says is NOT enough, at least in my personal experience.

You have two options: Clean this current gasket and "glue it up" with some silicone, or buy a fresh one, preferably Ajusa (~20-25 euros with the 4 rings) and again, use a light coating of silicone on it.

Then, let it sit for 24 hours minimum before driving, and in the meantime degrease the engine. Any future leaks could indicate camshaft seal leaks, which require a strong pneumatic gun to take the sprocket bolts off, and you will need to re-time the engine.

That said, you have *a lot* of oil on your timing belt which will soon make the belt unusable and it may indicate further leaks from around the oil cover/gasket.

What this guy said. Hes more "local" to you and would probably be better help as far as which parts/brands work best.

Hellooo :)

The new gasket that you are seeing in the photos is the new one and it is Ajusa brand, so I discard the Ajusa brand of gaskets, I have asked for a new one and Nural silicone will be put on it to give it more tightness.

We hope the leak is from there.

If not, have as I do to solve if the leak comes from another part of the engine.

Hellooo :)

The new gasket that you are seeing in the photos is the new one and it is Ajusa brand, so I discard the Ajusa brand of gaskets, I have asked for a new one and Nural silicone will be put on it to give it more tightness.

We hope the leak is from there.

If not, have as I do to solve if the leak comes from another part of the engine.
When you install the new gasket, DO NOT over-tighten the bolts. To tighten more just would damage the gasket and make more leak.
So the gasket in the pics you uploaded is new? If so, also check the PCV valve (The one in the green circle). This is a 1 way check valve, if the valve is bad, you would possibly have leak again even if you put a new gasket.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Hello,
Yes, the gasket that I show in the photo is new and is that damaged after a month and the car has been used very little.

The PCV valve is fine, where I have the leak is on the distribution side.

Thanks

The PCV valve is fine, where I have the leak is on the distribution side.
I am not sure if you physically inspected the valve or just saying because you don't see any oil on it.
Just FYI, you don't normally see oil on the PCV valve itself even the valve is bad. What a bad PCV valve may cause is to build up pressure in engine and the pressure is the one would push the oil through the gasket/seal. So if you would see leaks at many locations, you should suspect it.

I am not sure if you physically inspected the valve or just saying because you don't see any oil on it.
Just FYI, you don't normally see oil on the PCV valve itself even the valve is bad. What a bad PCV valve may cause is to build up pressure in engine and the pressure is the one would push the oil through the gasket/seal. So if you would see leaks at many locations, you should suspect it.

Hello,
I physically looked at the valve when I disassembled the cylinder head cover and I saw it well,
but I suspect that if it were faulty and there was pressure in the engine, the engine pressure warning light would come on or the engine pressure would rise in the frame when the engine is started or the vehicle had been circulating.

Rectify me if I'm wrong.

Hello,
I physically looked at the valve when I disassembled the cylinder head cover and I saw it well,
but I suspect that if it were faulty and there was pressure in the engine, the engine pressure warning light would come on or the engine pressure would rise in the frame when the engine is started or the vehicle had been circulating.

Rectify me if I'm wrong.

No, there is no light for this. And yes if the valve stops working, you may have some pressure in the crankcase and you would possibly see oil coming out from the valve cover gasket/cam seals. But the damages in the pics you uploaded in the original post look pretty much caused by over-tighten. So when you receive the new gasket, install it properly as mentioned above and don't over-tighten the bolts.

Hello again, I have disassembled the PCV valve and cleaned it, you can hear the ball inside and only the air passes through one of its tubes, so far so good, but sometimes I blow or move it and the ball locks or is not heard.

Could that mean that the valve is starting to fail?

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20210310_164654.jpg
    IMG_20210310_164654.jpg
    341.6 KB · Views: 32
Hello again, I have disassembled the PCV valve and cleaned it, you can hear the ball inside and only the air passes through one of its tubes, so far so good, but sometimes I blow or move it and the ball locks or is not heard.

Could that mean that the valve is starting to fail?

Thanks.
The PCV valve is not permanent, it would function less by time. But it's not expensive, so maybe it's a good idea to replace it.

I'll see if they have a similar one valve in a spare parts store in my area.

The strange thing is that the car has been stopped for more than two weeks and continues to stain some oil stain but less.

Hello,
You will think that I am silly but I have changed the gasket of the lid, I have put silicone for gaskets and let it dry well,
And when I go to put the new PCV valve, it does not screw, neither to one side nor to the other, I don't know if it has any trick or what.
Let's see if you can help me.

Thank you

Hello,
You will think that I am silly but I have changed the gasket of the lid, I have put silicone for gaskets and let it dry well,
And when I go to put the new PCV valve, it does not screw, neither to one side nor to the other, I don't know if it has any trick or what.

Thank you
Make sure if you received the correct PCV valve by comparing with the old one. And check the thread on the valve cover for damages. Also you can upload some pics if you are not sure.
Just in case, there is actually some angle on the PCV valve, like the pic below. So keep this in mind when you install it.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Hellooo,
It is the same PCV valve, I asked for it, in rockauto.
Now I will try again, otherwise I will have to disassemble everything again.
What a grace, I already put the silicone on the gasket and new screws ...
But hey, what can we do.

Attachments

• 16166791256426029432238847881840.jpg
    16166791256426029432238847881840.jpg
    477.1 KB · Views: 33
Hellooo,
It is the same PCV valve, I asked for it, in rockauto.
Now I will try again, otherwise I will have to disassemble everything again.
What a grace, I already put the silicone on the gasket and new screws ...
But hey, what can we do.
No no, you don't need to disassemble anything to replace the PCV valve. If the new one is the same as the old one and the thread on the cover is not damaged, just take your time to install. As I mentioned above that keep in mind that there is some angle. And another things to keep in mind, if you try to install it from the front side of the car, you need to turn it counterclockwise to install. Not clockwise. Just in case if it made you confused.

Hello,
I already changed the PCV valve, I put a new gasket for the rocker cover, I put the Nural silicone, and I changed the screws for the rocker cover,
and it continues with the oil leakage and I don't know where it can come from.

Thank you

This os photo of leakeage...

Attachments

• IMG_20210331_135048.jpg
    IMG_20210331_135048.jpg
    729.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20210331_135048.jpg
    IMG_20210331_135048.jpg
    729.8 KB · Views: 40
There are more locations that cause oil leak besides the valve cover gasket. Such as camshaft seals, balance shaft seal, oil pump sprocket seal, front crank seal, oil pump bolt holes, oil pump/oil filter housing gaskets, oil pan. Should check those, too.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back