The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G No start, power but no starter clicking

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitsu-MattGSX

Probationary Member
Oct 30, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
I recently replaced my clutch master cylinder, line, and slave cylinder and I removed the battery for some access. When time came to start the car back up I have power but no sounds of the starter engaging. When I tried jumping it I made a rookie mistake and put the leads on the live car first and there was some sparkage. I checked my starter relay which looks ok. Then I checked to make sure my clutch safety switch was connected which it was. I then deduced it must be the starter itself. So I just finished removing the starter itself. The ground to the trans looks ok. The starter itself looks acceptable, I am going to clean up the connections. But I then noticed from the wiring harness that goes to the starter that it branches off very close to the starter. That then leads to a connection on the trans, which I've noticed is terrible. It's melted for one and it will not clip in place due to this. And secondly there's a lot of electrical tape poorly wrapped around the female end of the connection. Could this be the source of my issue?

Attachments

• MVIMG_20180422_210125.jpg
    MVIMG_20180422_210125.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20180423_143703.jpg
    IMG_20180423_143703.jpg
    348.6 KB · Views: 60
  • MVIMG_20180423_144010.jpg
    MVIMG_20180423_144010.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20180423_143756.jpg
    IMG_20180423_143756.jpg
    319.3 KB · Views: 51
Take that electrical tape off and check for diconnects. Also there should be a small wire with a black clip on the end that slides over that small tab on the starter. If that's not connected it won't work.

That small wire with black clip is fine, I removed it when I took out the starter

I recently replaced my clutch master cylinder, line, and slave cylinder and I removed the battery for some access. When time came to start the car back up I have power but no sounds of the starter engaging. When I tried jumping it I made a rookie mistake and put the leads on the live car first and there was some sparkage. I checked my starter relay which looks ok. Then I checked to make sure my clutch safety switch was connected which it was. I then deduced it must be the starter itself. So I just finished removing the starter itself. The ground to the trans looks ok. The starter itself looks acceptable, I am going to clean up the connections. But I then noticed from the wiring harness that goes to the starter that it branches off very close to the starter. That then leads to a connection on the trans, which I've noticed is terrible. It's melted for one and it will not clip in place due to this. And secondly there's a lot of electrical tape poorly wrapped around the female end of the connection. Could this be the source of my issue?
It very well could be your problem, I have ran into the problem of lines having corrosion where you can’t see it on the terminal but it goes through the center of the bundle of wires causing a poor if not bad connection. Double check at various points of the ground and hot wires for corrosion in the bundles of wires.. I’ve found it to be more of a problem on larger gauge wires than smaller wires.

Just ran into this problem lastnight with a buddies GSX, hit the starter with a hammer and GOOD to go.

Also, the two little relays on the passenger side kick panel. Those are often the culprit of no start.

There should be a small wire with a black clip on the end that slides over that small tab on the starter. If that's not connected it won't work.

Just had this happen to me yesterday,(no idea how the wire fell off) a fellow member was wise enough to point me in the right direction and my slut fired right up!!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back