The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

No Start after kiggly shifter mod.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1SIC1Gb

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 25, 2012
Houston, Texas
So i wired everything up except the wire for 4th into a switch and was going to try it out and my car wont engage the starter. I cut the harness like the picture and connected only the wires needed. I took the black with yellow and connected them into the wire that used to go to the starter butt connector. THen took the black and white and went to the starter(butt connector) .

What am i missing here?

Yea sounds like the neutral safety switch wiring isn't hooked up correctly. It's the small wire that goes to the starter.

Auto Shifter Wiring

It's been a little while since I did this, but black w/ white stripe goes to spade connector on starter and black w/ yellow stripe goes to the wire that used to go to the spade connector on the starter.

The encoder just makes contact between the fat black with white and fat black with yellow wires when in park or neutral. If you used the skinnier wire of the same color scheme, it isn't part of the circuit.

Sorry this isn't super clear in the picture as there are two wires with the same colors. You'll need to use the heavier gauge ones.

Thanks,
Kevin

Ok . I am using those wires but I used slightly smaller wires so I will upgrade to bigger ones. Was I correct in my first step being to cut all wires off the connector to give me what's in your diagram?

Also would the fact that I don't have the 4th switch wired yet have anything to do with it not working?
Thanks for your help.

The 4th gear switch has nothing to do with it. As long as you used the heavier gauge b/w and b/y wires it should work. You could always just bypass it and hook up the starter directly to the key-out wiring, the worst it will let you do is start while you're in gear.

So just hook it back up the way it was to bypass the switch?
Meaning the wire from key just install it back on the starter solenoid?

Yes. But like he said, the starter will engage no matter what gear you're in!

I hooked the wire back up just like it was originally to the solenoid and it still doesn't start? Or am I going to have to tuna wire from the ign switch to the starter solenoid directly?

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back