1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

1G No instrumental lights/brake light fuse keeps blowing

Posted by Red_EcliPzE_GsX, Dec 13, 2019

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. Red_EcliPzE_GsX

Red_EcliPzE_GsX Proven Member

Joined Nov 25, 2002
    Irving, Texas
    Hey guys,

Had the engine bay washed/detailed today and wouldn’t you know it the car starts acting up.

As I was driving after the detail, with my running lights on I noticed my instrumental lights started flickering until they full on just wouldn’t come on. The rear tail light running lights also won’t come on. And I also noticed I really have to press the brake pedal down far to get the brake lights to come on.

The instrumental lights only seem to come on briefly as I hit the brake pedal.

Checking threads on here I went to check the ‘room fuse’ 10 in the fuse box inside the cabin, it was fine not blown. I took it out and re inserted, and the interior lights came on for a sec but then died out.

I then checked the tail/brake light 10 fuse at the fuse box under the hood, eureka! Blown. I replace it and sure enough the instrumental/interior lights all come back on fine, but then as I go to start driving it again the instrumental lights just died out on me again.

I go to check the tail/brake light 10 fuse that I had just replaced, and it’s blown again :(

I am NOT an electrical guy whatsoever, but something must have happened during that engine bay wash that might be causing a short? Main 80A alt fuse is fine and isn’t blown.

I have no idea what to do next :(

*forgot to mention what all IS working*

-hazard lights
    -headlights
    -turn signal lights
    -brake lights(somewhat like I mentioned it seems I have to really press down brake pedal for them to come on)

391  3

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 1G DSM
  2. Bleakley

Bleakley Proven Member

Joined Jan 29, 2017
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    I’ll have to go home and look at some diagrams based on the info you’ve given.
    There’s is a short to ground.

easiest way I’ve learned to find them is putting a sealed headlight in where the fuse used to be and you can now safely go find your short. I try to post this whenever I can cause I’ve come to find out a lot of people don’t know this.

Street Build 823  1

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
    fwd · automatic · 2G DSM
  3. Red_EcliPzE_GsX

Joined Nov 25, 2002
    Irving, Texas

Yeah let me know on this, because I’m not really following. I just am the worst when it comes to understanding anything electrical/diagrams.

391  3

manual · 1G DSM
  4. tk106

tk106 Supporting Member

Joined Sep 11, 2017
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    If you have access to compressed air, use it on the fuse box. That would be the first thing I try.

228  3

2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Classic
    awd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

217  4

93 Civic 4 Door -sold-
    fwd · manual · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 2K  6

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    12.625 @ 111.42 · 1G DSM
  5. 609DSM

609DSM Proven Member

Joined Aug 13, 2019
    Princeton, New Jersey
    I believe wd40 is a water repellent used specifically for electrical connections among its other uses, I need to fact check this again though. They make sprays that are used for this purpose only (ridding water from a connection or area where it is unwanted) you can find at pretty much any auto or hardware store.

Next time I recommend using degreaser and a spray bottle with water to clean the bay or take more precaution when hosing it down, just spraying water at your engine bay is asking for trouble. It might be efficient but it isnt worth the risk, also never use high pressure.

EDIT: sorry I went back and read your post, didnt read how you washed it I was only assuming you broke out a hose, some soap and a rag and just went to town haha.

Street Build 224  1

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  6. evil_eagletalon

evil_eagletalon Proven Member

Joined Jan 21, 2015
    Orange, California
    Start front or rear. What ever is easier. Unplug the front end lights see if fuse still pops.

Yes? Find problem in front end.

No?

Remove all rear bulbs even license plate lights.

7. Red_EcliPzE_GsX

Joined Nov 25, 2002
    Irving, Texas
    So quick update on this, after about a week since the engine bay wash, I replaced the tail light fuse yet again under the hood, and it has since not blown and working fine again. I honestly wonder if the fuse box had just gotten a bit wet and needed to dry out, and that is what was causing the short that kept blowing the tail light fuse causing me to keep losing my instrument/interior/running tail lights.

Previous owner also did have sh**ty led type license plate lights so I also replaced those with factory bulbs just in case. and I have already since replaced all 4 tail light bulbs with new bulbs.

I also sent my ECU to ecmlink to have it checked out as I started experiencing other funky issues with the car randomly dying at idle, they came back saying the previous cap replacement done on the ecu was sh**ty, so they redid my caps and my ECU is on its way back currently.

Thanks everyone for your input, I will update again if it seems to happen again but so far all seems well again.

391  3

manual · 1G DSM
    Bleakley and 609DSM like this.
  8. Red_EcliPzE_GsX

Joined Nov 25, 2002
    Irving, Texas
    Alright guys well I'm still having the same issue with the tail lamp fuse blowing no matter how many times I replace the fuse, and knocking out my instrument lights/front corner lights/rear running tail lights.

One thing I have started to notice is that, even with no running lights on in the middle of the day, each time I press the brake pedal my instrument lights/front corner lights/(and Im assuming rear running lights) will flicker on/off?!

I am now wondering if something related to pressing the brake pedal is causing this issue with my tail lamp fuse blowing and knocking out my instrument/corner/rear running lights?

Any recommendations on what to look for near the brake pedal?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020

391  3

manual · 1G DSM
  9. Bleakley

Bleakley Proven Member

Joined Jan 29, 2017
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Instead of blowing fuses, you can wire a sealed (old square ones) headlight into each side to complete the circuit just like a fuse would.
    I fricken tell you guys this all the time but you insist throwing fuses ($$$) away. Lol. Dang!

Street Build 823  1

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
    fwd · automatic · 2G DSM
  10. Red_EcliPzE_GsX

Joined Nov 25, 2002
    Irving, Texas
    I get what you're saying but, do you have any recommendations as far as what to check to fix why the tail lamp keeps getting blown? Especially to someone who doesn't know anything about electrical work.

I am coming across countless threads that seem to give advice but they talk about multimeter this, ohm that check voltage this. I have no clue how to do any of that let alone understand the wiring diagrams.

Any recommendations as far as what's going on with my recent finding with pressing the brake pedal that I can try checking?

391  3

manual · 1G DSM
  11. luv2rallye

luv2rallye DSM Wiseman

Joined Jun 7, 2003
    Minneapolis, Minnesota