The Central Hub for DSM Community and Information

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. This is where the DSM platform history is documented and archived. Log in to help us in our mission, and to remove most ads from the browsing experience.

multiple electrical problems.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buhay6

15+ Year Contributor
1,661
65
Jul 9, 2010
Delisle, SK, Canada
Hey guys I need a couple leads on some problems I'm having. First is my starter will only turn the engine over half the time, when it doesn't engage with the flywheel it just "whizzes" so to speak. I did find an article on it that said to check grounds etc, so I did and they all checked out grounds are grounding fine. Where should I go next?

Next electrical problem is when ever my ignitions on the head and taillights come on and are not control-able with the column switch.... I have no clue where to even start with it. When the ignitions in the off position the lights are control-able. I've switched out the switchs and it still didn't fix the problem

Those are my biggest problems and the ones I definitely want to fix.
My other ones are minor ones light license plate lights, bower fan and center console power I haven't looked into them yet but they can be fixed throught out my testing period before I move the talon to dd duty.
I'm just happy to have an engine and drive tran in the car for the first time.
 
Your starter problem could be a number of issues. First thing I would look at is the voltage while cranking. It should be between 10.5 and 12.5 I believe. Next I would check to see if the starter is the correct one for your application and that it is tightened to the trans enough. Check your started drive gears for damage. It is possible the etarter solenoid is weak and not pulling it all the way in to engage the ring gear. I would then look at all the teeth on your ring gear to see if any were groung down or missing. Is it possible the wrong starter plate was used between the engine and trans when it was installed?
Next the headlight problem. It almost sounds like someone messed with the wires going to the switch trying to do the fog light MOD. If the wiring looks OK then unplug the switch and check the switch with an ohmeter to see if it internally fused between + power and output. I don't have a schematic handy to say which color wires to check but you should be able to figure it out by testing.
Good luck and I hope I helped some. Please post your results.
 
Ok I'll measure my voltage tomorrow and see what it says. As for the starter and related assembly its all off one setup so I know its the correct starter as well as plats. I did check the ring gear teeth when I had the tran off the engine for the new clutch it all checked out fine. Hoping I don't have to replace the starter but if so oh well I guess.

As for my lights coming on with ignition I've been through the whole car top to bottom looking for tampered or broken things and I didn't see any indecation when I had the car stripped.
 
Add Value - Be Respectful - No Trolling - No Misinformation - Participate Often!
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back
Top