The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Missing "spacer" plate that goes between block & transmission

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dark_Horse

15+ Year Contributor
May 21, 2004
Morrison, Colorado
So I'm missing the "spacer" plate that goes between the engine block and the transmission. My question is, do I need to pull the engine and remove the transmission from the block to install this "spacer"? In caps, the spacer is referred to as "plate, cylinder block rear." IE: Rear engine plate.

Please note - I am not talking about the flywheel inspection cover.

This brings up a good question I have always had. I do not see the reason that this part is needed other than the fact it spaces the t bearing properly but with it removed it would just give the t-bearing even more engagement and in a DSM I'm not sure this is a problem. I have ran several cars without the thing and so NO ill effects. Any input would be great.

Later Dr Turbo

This brings up a good question I have always had. I do not see the reason that this part is needed other than the fact it spaces the t bearing properly but with it removed it would just give the t-bearing even more engagement and in a DSM I'm not sure this is a problem. I have ran several cars without the thing and so NO ill effects. Any input would be great.

Later Dr Turbo

I'm not sure if the part I'm talking about is the same one everyone has mentioned. Without the part I'm talking about, there's a huge gap between the engine and transmission and I can see the inside of my transmission (flywheel) when looking down at the engine.

Here's a picture of a starter plate. Ignore the coloring as I pulled it from another thread I posted in. Are you sure your transmission is just not seated fully on the dowel pins and flush up against the block?

87083d1220847489-6-bolt-swap-1g-starter-plate-untitled.jpg

That looks to be the part that I'm missing. And yes, the transmission is flush up against the block.

Are there any ill effects from not running the starter plate besides dirt getting into the tranny?

Not that I'm not planning to put this part on...Just curious.

I just rebuilt my engine and installed my tranny on the engine, put it on the hoist and dropped it in. About 20 minutes later found the plate on the floor. Totally forgot about it. Here's to hoping it's not required.

I just rebuilt my engine and installed my tranny on the engine, put it on the hoist and dropped it in. About 20 minutes later found the plate on the floor. Totally forgot about it. Here's to hoping it's not required.

Well think about it, you just got finished with a fresh rebuild, and you are going to drop it in without all of the parts that are required. Dont cheap out now just because you dont feel like busting the block back apart from the tranny. Would it not be any more peace of mind knowing that your engine is put together correctly? Or is that just me?

I did the same thing! But I just removed the mounting bolts and split it just enough to slide it in. Hardly took any effort.

Yep, that'd work, but it's intended to be bolted down with two bolts.

Are you refering to my post? Because when I split the tranny you just need enough room to slide the plate over the dowls and the rest of the hole line up perfect. You can't half ass if that's what you were insinuating? If not disreguard my post.

It is technically supposed to be bolted down with the two small bolts. Backing the tranny out enough as said to slip it over the dowels should work just fine, too

To the OP's question. NO should not cause detrimental castrophy however it is wize to install, it was engineered with it! I personally would like some others have done loosen, remove bellhousing bolts and slide it on, no concern for the 2 smaller 6mm bolts that hold it to block behind flywheel. Once sandwiched in place between Bellhousing and block it will not move.
Good Luck

Later Dr Turbo
Hey I ordered in a clutch and flywheel and I had to cut the spacer plate to make it fit now there is a hole we’re I can see into the trans and I can see the flywheel not to worryed about rocks and stuff but I’m worryed about my flywheel or clutch plate rusting at all should I be worried to drive in the rain is this somthing I need to fix

What did you possibly have to cut considering neither the starter or inspection plates interfere with clutch or flywheel? Pics? I am curious.
If you can see the flywheel, so can debris and you dont want that around in a bellhousing.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back