The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Methanol injection

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenie

Probationary Member
Jun 28, 2012
Milford, MA, Massachusetts
Kind of been thinking about a methanol injection kit for my car, just wanted to get some feedback and where to buy it from or if its even a good idea.

how much boost do you plan on running? A meth injection kit will increase power and give you lower air temps going into your car as well as reduce knock and emmisions(like anyone cares..) id recomend the AEM one, it is not a bad system at all for the price. here is the link to aems website with some information on the system, hope this helps you out! :D

AEM Water/Methanol Systems for Gasoline Engines - Water/Meth Kits - Wideband O2 UEGO, Water/Methanol, Stand Alone Engine Management, Piggyback F/IC, Tru Boost Controller, Gauges, Automotive Performance Electronics

Snow Performance makes a great Methanol Kit. ExtremePSI has a few kits which includes:
EXTREME PSI : Your #1 Source for In Stock Performance Parts

Stage 1 Kit: (All Models Kit) - $284.21
• SHO (Special High Output) Pump
• 3 Quart Reservoir
• 2 Nozzles To Cover a Wide Range of Horsepower
• Required Hardware Needed For Installation
• Comprehensive Instructions

Stage 2 Kit: (MAF Signal Based) - $386.10
• 150+ PSI High Volume Pump
• 3 Quart Reservoir
• Low Level Indicator
• Digital Variable Controller
• All Required Hardware Needed For Installation

Stage 2: (MAP Signal Based) - $377.10
• 3 Quart Reservoir
• Low Level Indicator

planning on running between 14-18 psi around town

Yea, meth injection won't get you much with boost that low... I have the AEM nozzles; they're great because they have the check valve integrated right in with em at the end of the line, so you get minimal leakage/drainage after you're done spraying.

I thinks amazing I've seen a guy run it on the dyno with it and then with out it. It works wonders helps to keep temps lower, free from det.

i have the aem kit and the only thing i don't like is the controller . they should of had dials to adjust the low and high boost settings other than that it does its job . i have the largest nozzle and run 27 to almost 30 psi seeing only .07 counts of knock . last pull i did it showed 401 hp with 44lbs of air through mass air sensor.

A lot of it really depends on the fuel that you are running, and how your tune is. Personally, running on 93 octane, i wouldnt want to run any more than 20-22 psi in my daily driver without it.

A lot of it really depends on the fuel that you are running, and how your tune is. Personally, running on 93 octane, i wouldnt want to run any more than 20-22 psi in my daily driver without it.

It's dependent on the car's set up and tune.
You really need to start tuning and see what your max is.

I ran around 25psi without it, but everyone's setup is different. Right now, mine's activated by DSMLink, and I think it comes on around 17-18psi. Without the meth, I was only able to run 6* max timing, and spraying about a 50/50 mix with a single large AEM injector, I was able to run 17* timing. Quite a difference, I tell you!

like i and everyone else said your not pushing enough boost to heat up the air enough to really need meth injection. will it still make more power with it yes, is it worth it at the boost level your running probably not.

now in my case i need a kit because right now im pushing 24psi at 45-46 lb/m on 93 octane and max timing at 8* before i get knock

Also running a small nozzle pre turbo can move your compressor map over.

You aren't worried about the damage to the compressor's blades?

My 50/50 system was at the throttle-body elbow for exactly this reason: do not inject anything until after the CBV so that there's no chance of any water droplets hitting the compressor's blades. I would also avoid anything that might allow a pool of water to form in the intercooler.

^ I would only run 100% water pre turbo. Meth can eat away at the turbine wheel.

Aqua mist makes an.....adapter let's call it that allows a nozzle to be aimed perfectly at the compressor nut. There's a big thread on the Aquamist forums about pre turbo injection.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can see cooling the air pre turbo helping overall IATs. However the risk/reward probably isnt all that great. Cooling the IAT, no matter how its done, or at what boost level, WILL make more power. Its just not necessary at lower power levels IMO, the gains would be minimal in theory.

Snow Performance makes a great Methanol Kit. ExtremePSI has a few kits which includes:
EXTREME PSI : Your #1 Source for In Stock Performance Parts

Stage 1 Kit: (All Models Kit) - $284.21
• 3 Quart Reservoir
• Required Hardware Needed For Installation

Stage 2 Kit: (MAF Signal Based) - $386.10
• 150+ PSI High Volume Pump
• 3 Quart Reservoir
• Low Level Indicator

Stage 2: (MAP Signal Based) - $377.10
• 3 Quart Reservoir
• Low Level Indicator

years ago we had a dyno day and i installed 6 of these kits on a evo in one day LOL

aem has an updated injector nozzle v3 and it works great. my knock almost totally went away at 30 psi of boost. there is a video on it check it out .

i am glad someone finally saw my post cause that new meth nozzle design atomizes the meth better . i have seen close to 32 pounds of boost with 0.7 counts of knock on a 2nd gear pull .

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back