1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

2G Messed up harness What are all these plugs ????

Posted by Robby, Mar 28, 2019

Please Support VR Speed Factory
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. Robby

Robby Probationary Member

Joined Jan 25, 2019
    San Antonio, Texas
    So I'm looking at a gsx I just bought and oh man I'm in trouble there's so many plugs I have no idea where they are going too. I need y'alls help. First of all how bad is it taking the power steering out? I can't remember the last time I drove something without it. Next the abs what do I need to just remove it all ? Now the ac ??? Can I just disconnect everything and throw away. Also I need help what are these plugs in the pics . In the first pic Why is that Screenshot_20190328-195156_Gallery.jpg 20190328_185208.jpg there I pull it and the throttle body opens where should it go?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019

Street Build 115  1

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · automatic · 2G DSM
  2. tk106

tk106 Proven Member

Joined Sep 11, 2017
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I’d recommend leaving the power steering and abs. I regretted pulling ps on my 2g especially if you parallel park. Not the worst when driving but heavy when not moving.

The thing you’re holding on the passengers side looks like cruise control. Not sure what the connector on the drivers side is. Might be for coil pack.

50  3

2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Classic
    awd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

92  4

93 Civic 4 Door -sold-
    fwd · manual · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 1K  5

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  3. Robby

Joined Jan 25, 2019
    San Antonio, Texas
    Oh ok thanks yeah I was debating on the PS . It feels good moving it in and out of tight spots with ease in my garage. And the AC is disconnected and the condenser? I think what is supposed to be in front of the radiator is gone. There's hoses just hanging around. Idk if I should fix it. Or remove it. Also. I was reading about abs. Is there any reason why I should keep it. Or let it go I haven't read anything about it. I hated abs in my Jeep . Is there a big difference in a awd car

Street Build 115  1

awd · automatic · 2G DSM
  4. tk106

tk106 Proven Member

Joined Sep 11, 2017
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Yes. AC condenser is located in front of the radiator. Not sure which hoses you’re talking about. Pictures would be useful.

The braking wouldn’t change if you converted from abs to non abs. Obviously it would if abs would kick in. I’m not certain what’s involved when converting to non abs.

Why do you want to remove abs?

50  3

92  4

93 Civic 4 Door -sold-

Street Build 1K  5

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  5. Robby

Joined Jan 25, 2019
    San Antonio, Texas
    Oh ok and there's one hose that should of went the the ac condenser and then there's another hose behind the motor that's in the pic above the canister is under the battery bracket. And about the abs I just wanted to clean up some space where it's at, it looks like a mess.

Street Build 115  1

awd · automatic · 2G DSM
  6. tk106

tk106 Proven Member

Joined Sep 11, 2017
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    The hose under the battery tray looks like the ac line to the compressor from the evaporator.

Not sure on the one connector you’re holding behind the intake manifold. The other looks like it’s for the brake fluid reservoir.

The other connector is for grounding timing or ECU...I think. 2g guys would know for certain. I’d leave it even if it wasn’t. Just tuck it away and zip tie it.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2019

50  3

92  4

93 Civic 4 Door -sold-

Street Build 1K  5

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  7. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania
    That looks like the a/c compressor connector that your holding in your hand, if the car runs, thats what it is. The cruise control part that your holding used to connect to the cruise control module that sat in front of the battery on the passenger strut tower, it looks to be gone, put it back or convert to a non cruise control cable, I wouldnt leave it like that for safety reasons alone, let alone the looks.

Drag Race Build 2K  16

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  8. Robby

Joined Jan 25, 2019
    San Antonio, Texas
    Yeah it runs and works and ok thanks is there a bigger module it connects too and I'm guessing is gone. So I should just remove it completely?

Thanks I can take that out then if I am not gonna run ac then right ?

Street Build 115  1

awd · automatic · 2G DSM
  9. tk106

tk106 Proven Member

Joined Sep 11, 2017
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Yes. You can remove the ac line and all ac components. If you remove the ac compressor bracket, make sure to use washers when you reinstall the half shaft bracket to the block. Only the drivers side bolt.

50  3

92  4

93 Civic 4 Door -sold-

Street Build 1K  5

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
    Robby likes this.
  10. 007jimmy

007jimmy Proven Member

Joined Feb 27, 2012
    Levittown, Pennsylvania
    AA7A4A94-DB60-4C4A-B85D-40F318959E48.jpeg Just want to add you are missing a nut on the other stud and a bolt that goes through the empty hole circled. Also seeing the rubber in the mount is wasted I would go over the other 3 mounts and replace as needed. I would not drive the car like that.

Street Build 792  25

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · automatic · 2G DSM
    tk106 likes this.
  11. Robby

Joined Jan 25, 2019
    San Antonio, Texas
    Ahhh damn thanks. I didn't see that. And I'll go through it all now that I'm off and see what else I see

And thanks. I will since a bunch of ac parts are missing idk if I should even try and get the ac working again.

Street Build 115  1

awd · automatic · 2G DSM
  12. tk106

tk106 Proven Member

Joined Sep 11, 2017
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I personally would like to have a.c. but I can't since my FMIC is too thick and I'd have to get a custom d/s line off the condenser since the IC pipe is in the way. You're in Texas so I can image it gets hot AF there. Also depends if you have a fmic. On my old 2g, I had a Greddy FMIC and was able to keep ac. Most part's are fairly cheap expect for the compressor and R32.

Good eye Jimmy!

50  3

92  4

93 Civic 4 Door -sold-

Street Build 1K  5

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  13. Robby

Joined Jan 25, 2019
    San Antonio, Texas
    So I bought a cheap donor gst parts car for 400 bucks I'll be taking off everything I can from it . Radiator support, fenders, doors ,side skirts, bumper,couple clips, glass, its complete minus dash ac and harness so I guess pretty good buy for me. It's a 5 speed. So next question. Can I swap that 5speed into my gsx auto? I will be tearing down the gsx and recrimping and soldering all the cut and twisted wires they did. . I took this out hopefully I don't need it anyone know ?

Attached Files:

Street Build 115  1

awd · automatic · 2G DSM
  14. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Supporting VIP

Joined Jan 5, 2012
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    No, you can't use a GST trans in a GSX and retain AWD, you would need an awd 5 speed. Might be able to use the shifter assembly, cables and flywheel/clutch assembly, but I'm not 100% on that.

The black canister in your pic is the charcoal canister, part of the EVAP system. You can remove it, but you will want to add a check valve of some kind to the tank vent, and make sure you properly block off the ports for the opurg solenoid valve or anything else associated with it.
    I would search for EVAP canister delete.

155  8

1987 Toyota Pickup/Hilux
    awd · manual · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 659  7

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 860  1

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM

Street Build 2K  10

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  15. Robby

Joined Jan 25, 2019
    San Antonio, Texas
    Awesome thanks for the info I will look into that.

Street Build 115  1

awd · automatic · 2G DSM
  16. pauleyman

pauleyman DSM Wiseman

Joined Nov 19, 2011
    oklahoma city, Oklahoma
    So let's just willy-nilly remove stuff and you don't even know what it is? That is a bad plan. Before you go any further I would suggest you have a plan as it seems you have none at the moment. You need a plan and a budget. It sounds like you want the car to be a 5-speed.

Street Build 2K  1

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  17. Robby

Joined Jan 25, 2019
    San Antonio, Texas
    So far the ac was gone already all I took out what's that canister. I just got chiltons book so reading over that before I do anything else. And I wanted to 5speed swap. But my friend says just leave it auto itll be faster. My plan and budget is to build this thing completely. But that will be by next year. For now just going over it to clean up all the cut and twisted wires. Replace alternator and water pump. Move battery to trunk. And maybe fuse box inside somewhere. I will be taking out the abs and I'm still unsure about the power steering. This won't be a DD. Budget is about 700-1k a month.

So I took off the turbo and manifold to replace this broke coolant pipe and I noticed all the screws holding the manifold are different and not the same. Then insee this

Attached Files:

Street Build 115  1

awd · automatic · 2G DSM
  18. K_81_K

K_81_K Proven Member

Joined Jun 1, 2018
    Ontario, ON, Canada
    first connector looks like cam or crank sensor

or coil pack.... LOL

disconnect that half from the cc box it goes to
    your throttle will still function the same

Robby likes this.
  19. Robby

Joined Jan 25, 2019
    San Antonio, Texas
    Ok thanks. I got alot of stuff to do when I get home in 2 weeks. I need to finish up on the car

Street Build 115  1

awd · automatic · 2G DSM
  20. K_81_K

K_81_K Proven Member

Joined Jun 1, 2018
    Ontario, ON, Canada
    6D067A43-E91C-4359-816F-5C5FA58EC6EB.png No problem
    Your unit will look like this after

Excuse the mess I’m in the middle of a lot of deleting relocating and installs right now

21. Robby

Joined Jan 25, 2019
    San Antonio, Texas
    Lol mines alot worse after going through it looked good when I bought it

Street Build 115  1

awd · automatic · 2G DSM
  22. K_81_K

K_81_K Proven Member

Joined Jun 1, 2018
    Ontario, ON, Canada
    It’s all in the fun of owning one of these LOL
    I’m in the middle of a complete evap delete among a few other toys to add in

So all those hoses and junk are on their way to the trash LOL

Should look nice and clean after all the goodies are in also

But yeah that connector you showed at the beginning ... I believe that’s your crankshaft position sensor

23. jinscho

jinscho Proven Member

Joined Jun 16, 2017
    Bangor, Pennsylvania
    Shifter, cables, and clutch can be swapped between FWD and AWD, flywheel can not (AWD is smaller diameter). If you want to do a 5 speed swap, you'll need a W5M33 trans, the FWD trans is an F5M33 and does not have a viscous coupler inside to divert power to a transfer case (among some other minor differences).

Street Build 2K  12

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  24. Robby

Joined Jan 25, 2019
    San Antonio, Texas
    Thanks for the info I guess I'll keep all the other stuff from that gst And just sell the tranny by itself. I'm still in between but I think I might just go with swapping it to manual.

Street Build 115  1

awd · automatic · 2G DSM