The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

MAP/MDP sensor, what's the difference??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxxSpetsnazxxx

Proven Member
Mar 17, 2014
Agawam, Massachusetts
Hi everyone, can anyone give a thorough explanation on MAP sensor (or MDP sensor)?
There's OEM sensors but then there's also OMNI-POWER sensors with different rating. Can some one tell me what the difference is between them, and should I invest in one or just get an OEM sensor? Thanks

If you have ECMLink you can use an aftermarket MAP Sensor (Manifold Absolute Pressure) like the Omni power to log boost or to run speed density.

The MDP sensor (Manifold Differential Pressure) measures pressure in the manifold to verify that the EGR is working correctly. The OEM sensor is for emissions and doesn't have any affect on the performance of the car.

Replacing your MDP with a MAP sensor wont do anything for you unless you have an engine management system that can utilize it. (Mod- besides throwing a CEL)

Thanks a lot, that cleared it up!
So if I got this correctly, MDP's are OEM and MAP's are aftermarket basically..?

Sorry for digging up this topic, but I have a question regarding the MDP/MAP and I felt like it would be better than creating a whole new topic..

I'll be turbocharging my naturally aspirated 4g63 but I won't use ECMLink as it is way too expensive and the ECU is almost imposible to find, at least here in Europe. Can I still use an aftermaket MAP sensor or do I need the OEM MDP?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back