The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

August578

Proven Member
Jun 15, 2021
Eastvale, California
Hi, I’ve never done power steering before and not too familiar on how it works. It decided to go out on me and lose all of its fluids. I’m not entirely sure on how to diagnose it either.

I’m not sure where the leak is but I think it might from inside the inner tie rod boot. Or this big nut. Any suggestions or pointing me into the right direction would be helpful. I can also get more pictures if needed

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

If you've lost all fluids at the rack I am going to say rack has to come out. It isn't a fun job but doable with one person.
Some things to consider are location of steering wheel etc. There are some specific instructions for this.

Consult the factory manual for specifics.

I don't know what the core charge is but I wish I had just kept my core and rebuilt it at my leisure rather than give it up. The rebuild kits aren't too high. More work than I wanted to do at the time but good for a lazy saturday project.

Honestly that leak doesn't look too bad. If it spewed all the fluid through the rack you would be seeing a lot more 'wet' fluid in the area. Squish the bellows boot by hand and see if it is full of fluid. If it is then your inner rack seal went bad and the rack needs a rebuild. If not, I'm guessing it's leaking just a little bit but not so much it won't work.

Unless you can find an obvious source of the leak, top off your PS reservoir with ATF, jack the front wheels barely off the ground, start the engine and crank the steering wheel stop to stop several times. Keep an eye on your PS fluid level and top off if it gets low (but isn't obviously leaking). You might see some air bubbles come up. That will bleed any air from the system and possibly get you back working.

I wish it was just a small leak, but what the pictures don’t show that it’s all over the road,driveway and a huge puddle on the garage floor LOL. It’s also all over the ac compressor and mostly everything around. Kind of hard to see on picture.

Thanks for the bellow one I’ll try that, I think that’s the seal that went bad. I’ll also try starting the car to see where the leak is coming from again.

And yeah it looks like a real pain to remove this damn thing. Saw another write up about it. :toobad:

Oh yeah my power steering doesn’t work, just makes a funny noise, almost likes it binding or it sound likes it’s trying to pump but it isn’t working. I squished the bellow around and it doesn’t feel full of liquid, how much should be in there? Because my boot on the other side is torn and there are light traces of it in there, but no puddle, just on the shaft of it.

Okay it doesn’t make the same noise while in the air (I’m assuming because of the tension) but when moving the wheel back and forth it makes a weird rattling noise. My power steering pump is also making a louder whirling noise as well.

And In the video I’m assuming the fluid that is dripping is the power steering mixing with the rusted bolt to give it that weird color on the subframe part. It seems to be dripping from above the power steering, can’t find the line that is leaking though.

But I don’t think it’s from the inner boot after all seems kinda dry there.

Here’s the other video

There shouldn't be any fluid in the bellows. That's where it will leak to if the rack seals are bad. Almost looks like it might be a ps line above the rack. Still not fun to replace those lines but still easier than pulling the rack.

The sound is like it's out of fluid or has an air cavity.

I think you need to positively identify the source of the leak before assuming the rack.

It’s also all over the ac compressor and mostly everything around. Kind of hard to see on picture.
Just noticed this. It's gotta be the high pressure line with the volume of fluid leaking.

I found the little sh*t. I think the DSM lords have showed mercy on me this day.

Wasn’t able to see it earlier due to poor lighting but it was right Infront of my face the whole time. :D

I haven’t felt relieved in a while. I’m not sure if this is the only leak, but from what it looks like it might be. Whew. Thanks guys I’ll let you know if it gets worse from here :thumb:

I’m not sure if that’s the high pressure line you pointed out that I circled. But nice thinking from the clues I had. Thanks a lot!

Thanks for the heads up, It’s hard to see down there when trying to remove the line.

I might just try to repair the line, it’s only the top end leaking where the clamp is. It’s a real pain to reach down there and remove that nut.

Just in case anyone finds this thread like I did - I had a really bad leak on the same hose and it's an easy fix.

First, this hose does have a flare fitting on one side and a hose clamp on the other.
With the brake fluid reservoir out of the way I was able to reach down and use a 17mm flare wrench to loosen the lower fitting and was able to thread the rest off by hand.
Once the hose was off I took a dremel to the bottom crimped part and lo and behold it's just a nipple under there. A trip to Autozone and $4 worth of new power steering line and some small hose clamps I had laying around and it's fixed.

Thank you @WhiteDSM250 , for putting a resolution to this issue. That is what makes this forum the BEST!!!!
Marty

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back