The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Last Race this Season, and last race for the eclipse

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RusherRacing

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 21, 2006
Yankton, South_Dakota
Well this Sunday will be the last race for the eclipse. I have had no interest in it as a whole so as of next week all the parts will be forsale.

So Come Join me up in Sioux Falls, SD for our last event of the Season, it is supposed to be a little cool but dry. I am planning on a FAST course for this final event.

What do you plan to do with the car afterwords. If parting out I would be interested in some parts.

Yep its getting parted unless some blessed soul wants to pick it up and actually show the world what the car is capable of. However no interest at the 12k price tag. So it is being parted out. I will have more details and pictures as the parts come off. Also I PM'ed you a rough preliminary list

Well its an old race car but wasn't a factory built one. Its not an archer car. I believe it was built by the polish group out of chicago however I haven't been able to verify any of that. It used to be white, with a little lower hp motor. It was completely redone a few years ago and really hasn't been given a chance with its current setup.

I was just learning how to drive it etc and got plagued with problems and repairs. Basically I learned a full race car was a bit more than I could handle or afford at this time in my life. I am going to get a nice used car upgrade the brakes suspension and ad safety equipment and go after my compitition license and spend my limited budget driving not on tires and repairs.

It was one of the front lower contol arms. The are Polk Tubular... They snapped right after where the 2 tubes come together on the rear section of the control arm. It looks to be a brittle failure however when I dismantle the car, I will post up some pictures. The funny part was it was COLD, and SLICK. They were not getting loaded very hard. I really think the metal was improperly welded (or quenched) causing a brittle section after the weld and fatigue took them out. Put as of right now I am not positive exactly what happened. I am just hoping the rest of the susp. is good so I can part it out.

I was racing in an AutoX, thank goodness. Actually I think the damage list is minimal, the fenderwell liner, tire, and control arm. I might possibly have bent the strut but won't find out till I disassemble everything.

I was coming around a corner and all of a sudden I knew something was wrong so I brought the car undercontrol and stopped. i knew no cars were behind me because i was before the release point for the next car. I thought I broke the bead on one of my slicks and ti was causing problems or something. When I tried driving off course I started seeing smoke etc (from tire rub). So I just putted off the course so they could continue running. We grabbed some floor jacks jacked the front up and dragged it back to the trailer...

I'd be QUITE interested in seeing pic's of the break, as I've got a set on my car. I'm also curious as to how much lifespan/useage they've seen.

I will be gusseting mine accordingly. Soon.

Here's a picture of the failure. After analyzing these compared with the stock units, they just really weren't designed all that well. Theres a significant moment arm, and the material is not strong enough for the loads placed upon it.

Just thought i'd update this.

Attachments

• Eclipse 153.jpg
    Eclipse 153.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 590
Edited to fix.

I would state that this is unrepairable, and just a bad design overall. The material is a bit thin, especially with the bends. This part would be find for a drag racer looking to lose some weight, but IMO should not be used on a road course car.

What is the piece that broke and why does it look tubed?

wow. reading comprehension.

Rusher broke this control arm during an autocross. It's one of the Polk Tubular Control arms that were sold. Currently on elvenhomes car and the flying banana (greg colliers old car, now ninjaruiken [sic])

They look like this:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

yikes, I'll be stickin with stock!
2g's don't have that design. I've already got a gusset designed in my head to combat this on my arms. This is one of the things that will be done before blackcar is cleared for use again.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back