The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Just a grinding noise but won't start

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blkapache01

Proven Member
Mar 28, 2017
Birmingham, Alabama
Hey folks,
So, I hope everyone is ok during this pandemic. Working from home is now giving me more time to do projects around d the house. I tried to upload a video but the file was too big, so let me describe it:
Eagle Talon was sitting up a few yrs in garage. Put in new clutch, new timing belt, water pump, tensioner she fired up after. I flushed the block, took her on the interstate a couple times and and on the way back, she cut off. Started back after a few minutes and she cooked out again but this time, engine smoking. Towed it home, put in a new head gasket and piston rings, just in case and cleaned the rust in gas tank and replaces with new gas and new fuel filter. Now when I start, she just makes a grinding noise and no start. New started and tested alternator passed 3 times. I can rotate engine by hand so it's not seized. I'm in need of help.
Stats: 91 Talon, 2.0, manual, non-turbo, all stock.

Yeah, I tried to upload it but the file was too big according to the DSM site. I got 2 new starters from Rockauto and they are doing the same thing. Both of them are for manual transmissions but I know sometimes their parts are "hit or miss"

Ok, I compressed the file on my phone so hope this helps. Yes, I put them aide by side and they're identical. Same Bendix as well, so it's engaging the flywheel.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Did you BLEED your lifters so they weren't pumped up? Do a compression test and make sure you don't have bent valves. I can hear the noise, is the motor rotating or not?

Did you BLEED your lifters so they weren't pumped up? Do a compression test and make sure you don't have bent valves. I can hear the noise, is the motor rotating or not?
Not that I'm aware of. I was working with the mechanic who did mostly everything, so I'm not sure if he bled them or not.
Yeah, the motor is rotating. I took the timing cover off and watched it rotate and I can also turn it by hand on the balancer.

Yes, when I try to start it, the engine is rotating.
Well the big problem is the grinding, it's kind of hard to hear in the video. If you took the valve cover off it should be easy to see if any valves are bent as the wont come all the way up. That being said the chatter or grinding could be because the oil system hasn't primed itself yet since being opened up.

Well the big problem is the grinding, it's kind of hard to hear in the video. If you took the valve cover off it should be easy to see if any valves are bent as the wont come all the way up. That being said the chatter or grinding could be because the oil system hasn't primed itself yet since being opened up.
Thanks, I'm going to take off the valve cover and check. Also, I'm going to bleed the valves myself to personally make sure.

Thanks guys for all the replies. I took off the valve cover last night and took out all the HLA's in the head. Just as suspected, these things were stiff as steel. I'm gonna bleed them today and give you an update after I finish and reinstall them. I saw a suggestion that after bleeding them, you should soak them a few hours before putting them back in. Any suggestions to this?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back