The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Is there a Benefit??????

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wickedz

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 12, 2009
Madison, Wisconsin
Of running with just a screen on the turbo, as to running a intake and filter?????

Heres my setup, but I was told theres a benefit to run just a screen

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Not really, unless you have a restrictive filter. I would just run the filter for piece of mind.

i dont think it would be worth it if something happened for the very minimal gain you MAY see, that is if your filter is a restriction...maybe shorten your intake pipe, but honestly it looks good the way it is.

PLUS AIR drawn from right behind the radiator and it's fans is going to be in the 200* F range to start with, then get heated more by the turbo... Air from the OEM location (or better yet flip that pipe to be down by the ground while at the track only) and you're gona draw MUCH cooler air... just don't leave it in the down position for daily driving, I bent a rod that way at IDLE once when having to go through a puddle that formed during a heavy rain

I asked this samethign when i had my PTE6776 and didn't have any 4" aluminum to make an intake for it,, so i had ro tun just a screen for a while (about 4 days) I noticed no gains/losses at all when finally putting a pipe and filter on, I did feel better about the safety of a 1300 dollar ball bearing turbo though

Well yes and no.It's very easily explanable.

You ever see the guys with the inlet for the compressor housing in the front bumper, or at least facing forward, on a strictly track car? Or a velocity stack on this same turbo setup?

They are getting as much cold air into the turbo as they can.

Now on a non stricly track car, with the turbo in the stock location, running just a screen Like Glenn stated may actually hurt performance. Think about it.Colder air in the compresser, being cooled again by the intercooler, the lower the IAT's in the manifold and combustion chamber right..Well a turbo in the stock location, is where, right under the manifold, being hidden by at least a radiator..Extend your filter out away from the hot ass manifold will lower your IAT's.Meaning more potential for more power.

Simple answer..The colder the air is going into the engine.The more potential..

If I'm totally off, which in this case is not very logical.Somebody please correct me by all means..

This is why we use non restrictive filters, intercoolers, cold air intakes, ceramic coatings, etc.

Unless your looking for that last half/ 1 hp. I would run a filter. Not worth the cost. Also keep in mind where the air is coming from. Your RIGHT next to the hottest components in your engine bay. What I might do is run a larger diameter intake pipe and a bigger filter for more inlet airflow. Keep in mind the smallest diameter tube is going to be the choke point. So while you have 4 inch filter, if the piping is necked down to 3 inches, that will be your effective inlet restrictor, that's why we get rid of the stock intake because the smallest part of the corrugated tube is actually smaller than the tiny stock turbo inlet acting like a restrictor. Most full blown race cars still run airfilters... Having even a small amount of dust, dirt, sand sucked into your engine hurts power.

I see you're in Madison like me. You're gonna need the filter with all the construction going on, bunch of dust flying everywhere! :p

Just a thought, maybe try a larger diameter intake tubing with a larger filter? I cant tell for sure, but it looks like you have a coupler that changes sizes on the compressor housing?

no its all one size. The only thing that is going on, is the filter itself has a ring spacer it came with for the install. I dont see how that would hurt anything.

For a track car? Maybe. Depends how it's done.

A screen flat across the inlet (which is the majority of the ones I've seen) will cost you, actually. Screen is rated by "open area." Most are in the 60-70% open area. If you slap that flat across the inlet of your turbo, you're effectively REDUCING the size of the inlet by 30-40%.

It has to be formed into a hemisphere and bulge out if it's going to be less restrictive. You need to increase the overall surface area of the screen as much as possible if you want it to be less restrictive than whatever filter you're taking off.

Me? I'll stick with a filter. If I need another 10hp, I'll just turn the boost up a bit. I have no need to wring the last 3 HP out of a street car.

Last edited by a moderator:
As stated I would run the filter. I doubt you would see enought HP to make it worth the risk.

Yeah bud, I guess it was just a curious thing I had going. Don't hurt to have more info :thumb:

Beyond intake temperature reductions with a filter system not sucking engine bay temp. Turbo's like to be fed. I've seen engines lose power running open vs. a good filter setup. As long as the filter isn't too small and a restriction at WOT.

I think im going to just stay with my current setup. Also, with how its all done, the amazing spooling sound is to die for. I love it

I've ran no filter on a car that I only drove the short distance to and from the track and at the track. Within a very short time, the compressor wheel looked like it had been sandblasted. I sold that car to a guywanting to buy a project to make a hardcore drag car, , so i never saw first hand what it can do to an engine.

Yeah im not interested in messing up my turbo or motor. Thanks for all the input fellas

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back