The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Interior sound deadening

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Have you guys actually noticed any difference in outside noise reduction with this peel n seal type of material?

Have you guys actually noticed any difference in outside noise reduction with this peel n seal type of material?

I'd like to know the same as well. My car is apart and the interior is out, so I'm going to be trying to sound deaden it soon. My car has bad road noise on the highway I can barely hear my passenger. I'd like to run it through my doors, from the fire wall all the way through to the back of the car with extra in the trunk. I also am cutting out my wheel well welding in a new piece, so I certainly need something to help keep it quite.

Ive been researching sound deadening lately. My car is getting paint and body doen now. I ordered new complete carpet kit with mass backing. That should help. I heard about this foil looking stuff they sell in rolls at Home depot. Cant remember the forum i read it on but it had great reviews.
I like the peal n seal though for anything vertical. Itd be alot easier than applying double sided tape then matting on top of that. Im surprised by how thin it is though. I might splurge for dynamat for all the side panels and door/trunk areas.

Good looking work OP, nice.

I heard about this foil looking stuff they sell in rolls at Home depot. Cant remember the forum i read it on but it had great reviews.

I would be careful here some roofing materials get almost liquid under hot temps. They will melt into a pool at the lowest point in your floorboards and smell like tar for a long time.

Absolutely if you take your time and use a good product. I used dynomat, doubled it around the trunk/muffler area and firewall then a soft fiber layer of insulation then carpet. 3" no cat thermal exhaust and you can have a normal conversation with passengers or on the phone no problem! Roll the windows down to hear the roar LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats not bad. Please update after the install and let us know. I saw something similiar to peal n seal, which im leary of due to the asphalt melt thing) buy it was near 20 a roll. and it was no where near as thick as this stuff. Id be interested in that stuff for the doors, under rear seat and trunk. How far will 50sq ft go though? Probably not too far. I bet ya might need a couple rolls. The mass backing i ordered came in with my new carpet kit. Holy shit they werent kidding, MASS backing. This carper alone is going to kill all sound under neath but that leaves alot of places that still need attention.
anyway, keep us posted on that stuff. thanks bud!

I must need to lay more down in my car, I used fatmat and noticed little reduction in road noise, I probably need to lay down more anyways.

Sound deadening is amazing and helps with road noise a ton! I used AudioTechnix. Amazing stuff.

I thought id chime in again. Just did a $130 sound deadening "experiment". Against some advice, i used peel and seal( not the brand but same thing from lowes). I did the door panels, under rear seat, and a ton in the trunk. Used almost 3 rolls.
I ALSO used a ton of 6lb carpet padding behind every other panel and really jammed it in there. Especially where the spare tire and washer reservoir used to be. My battery and amp now reside there so its nice and clean looking.
Also, new carpet front to back from OC auto carpets. I paid extra for the mass backing, which made it a royal pain in the as$ to install. I mean, that was fn difficult to get it right.

Results: Way beyond what i expected. This thing is QUIET now. No rattles, the sound quality from the audio is amazing now and the road noise and especially exhaust are much much softer on the ears. Id take a wile guess and say i added nearly maybe 65lbs-80lbs max. The carpet being the vast majority of the weight. I dont care about a little extra weight cause i chopped almost 50lbs with after market seats.
And eveen if i didnt, i dont care. Thats what bigger turbos are for LOL: more power to haul that extra weight.

NOTE: There is absolutely ZERO smell of asphalt and it has been sitting for days in the sun getting very hot with the windows closed.

I highly recommend this to everyone. Its cheap and maybe not exactly like dynamat but i bet its 75%as good, atleast.

I thought id chime in again. Just did a $130 sound deadening "experiment". Against some advice, i used peel and seal( not the brand but same thing from lowes). I did the door panels, under rear seat, and a ton in the trunk. Used almost 3 rolls.
I ALSO used a ton of 6lb carpet padding behind every other panel and really jammed it in there. Especially where the spare tire and washer reservoir used to be. My battery and amp now reside there so its nice and clean looking.
Also, new carpet front to back from OC auto carpets. I paid extra for the mass backing, which made it a royal pain in the as$ to install. I mean, that was fn difficult to get it right.

Results: Way beyond what i expected. This thing is QUIET now. No rattles, the sound quality from the audio is amazing now and the road noise and especially exhaust are much much softer on the ears. Id take a wile guess and say i added nearly maybe 65lbs-80lbs max. The carpet being the vast majority of the weight. I dont care about a little extra weight cause i chopped almost 50lbs with after market seats.
And eveen if i didnt, i dont care. Thats what bigger turbos are for LOL: more power to haul that extra weight.

NOTE: There is absolutely ZERO smell of asphalt and it has been sitting for days in the sun getting very hot with the windows closed.

I highly recommend this to everyone. Its cheap and maybe not exactly like dynamat but i bet its 75%as good, atleast.

Do you remember the brand name of the material you picked up from Lowes?

No, but next time i go ill look. You cant miss it, its by the roofing materials. Think it comes in 6"X25' rolls. Ive got half a roll left but it doesnt have the name anywhere on it. They only sell one kind though. Make sure to get the roll with the aluminum backing. You dont want shit getting stuck to it on the wrong side ya know. thats pretty obvious.
Weeks later, very hot out. Checked everything out a couple days ago. No smell at all and nothing peeling off. Stuff really works well just use a bunch

No, but next time i go ill look. You cant miss it, its by the roofing materials. Think it comes in 6"X25' rolls. Ive got half a roll left but it doesnt have the name anywhere on it. They only sell one kind though. Make sure to get the roll with the aluminum backing. You dont want shit getting stuck to it on the wrong side ya know. thats pretty obvious.
Weeks later, very hot out. Checked everything out a couple days ago. No smell at all and nothing peeling off. Stuff really works well just use a bunch

Awesome, thanks for the tip I'll check the local store here and see if I can find the same stuff. I found a donor car for internal panels at a salvage yard not far from my house, so I'm thinking of taking the time to pull the interior out and replace the carpet (OC auto carpets has a 50% discount atm) and sound deaden the interior this weekend. Any idea how much time you spent on the strip down and install?

Awesome, thanks for the tip I'll check the local store here and see if I can find the same stuff. I found a donor car for internal panels at a salvage yard not far from my house, so I'm thinking of taking the time to pull the interior out and replace the carpet (OC auto carpets has a 50% discount atm) and sound deaden the interior this weekend. Any idea how much time you spent on the strip down and install?

IDK LOL, seemed like forever. The carpet with mass backing is a MUST in my book, however it is very hard to cut and bend it where you need it to go. I probably spent all together maybe 10hrs. Thats a pure guess though. Plus or minus 3hrs really. I pulled door panels and used the material there over everything as well. That took a bit extra but again, well worth it. Dont be shy of using 6lb carpet padding from lowe's too. I know its ghetto but it works and no one can see it, its behind the damn panels. Jam as much as you can, wherever you can.
I still havent done under the dash cause i had some wiring i needed to do but this sunday ill be doing more carpet padding in there.

Just checked on OC, looks like it is cheaper than what i paid back in march/april.
Go for it, you will be surprised how quiet it is. I was

edit: after i go to the gym later ive got to go by lowes or home depot to pick out some stuff for bathroom remodeling with the wife. While im there ill get the name of the stuff i used. Again, im sure they carry it where you are and theres only one brand, but id b glad to help if i can.

Well i had my car aleady gutted out. So i just had to soap clean the whole interior then dry out and clean with rubbing alcohol. The 'USeal' ,thats the brand homedepot has. Took me about 9 rolls to do the whole car. Got the inside of the qarter panell done,whole trunk,doors,floor,firewall,inside wheel wells,rear srut tower and hatch. AMoved on fixing the rusty spots around the car..

I love the peel & seal - I use the 6" wide by 25' roll I think..

I used Dynomat - not too good for the price, Brown Bread if I remember was very good for the price, it's an unknown sound deadening material. But the Peel & Seal works great & is priced great.

I did a whole Jeep Cherokee with one roll that had a mix of Boston Acoustic Pro's and JL Subs and Amps.

But now that I moved up here to Canada, no one carries the Peel & Seal :-(

I had really good results with Stinger Expert Roadkill as an altertive to Dynamat brand. I compared the 2 side by side. The Stinger product was a little bit thicker and the price was a little cheaper.

I ended up using 6 expert bulk packs and my first talon was completely isolated from road noise. :thumb:

For my second Talon, I've started adding Stinger's carpet pad on top of the silver butyl product.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back